Show off your CUSTOM, MODIFIED, TRICKED OUT Phantoms

californiadoug said:
when you all paint your drones do you completely take them all apart or can you simply mask off vents, motors, camera, etc? also would paint weigh more or less than a total vinyl wrap? any help is appreciated! also any type of paint one recommends?

Depends on how neat you want it.
I just masked off everything on the bottom shell (motors and leds) and spray painted it. Super simple. Only very up close (and only if you're looking for it) you can see that it was masked. No big deal. 30 feet out and small details are gone anyhow.

It doesn't add any weight, only with a very accurate laboratory scale you could measure the weight of the few microns of paint. Couldn't be more than milligrams.

I'm thinking about using Oracover (does that exist still) I still have lying around for years. Once you take off the protective paper the actual remaining vinyl is so thin and light, it can't make a difference.

Just got done painting my Phantom. I used the Coast Guard for my inspiration. I haven't flown it yet but I expect it will be a little easier for me to see in the sky. Overall I'm happy with how it came out regardless of improved visibility.

Attachments

• 20141213_172026.jpg
    20141213_172026.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 1,373
  • 20141213_172213.jpg
    20141213_172213.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 1,140
  • 20141213_172316.jpg
    20141213_172316.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 1,217
  • 20141213_172402.jpg
    20141213_172402.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 1,132
I just painted my p1 flat black. It has E300 Dji propulsion upgrade kit comes with motors 9.4 props and upgraded ECS the down side of ECS is the leds are removed then but I found a guy on ebay that sells replacement leds for this problem you can't even tell the difference. I have the new motors mounted on top of motor extensions. With dual battery mounts. Alot of flyers say dual battery just makes the p1 too heavy but shat I found is yea it does on stock props and motors if you use upgraded motors and props you will be amazed how well it flys and you get a extra 5min of time added to it. Also make sure your not mixing new and old batteries..I also have the Fatshark attitude system on it with a Apache OSD. And a upgraded 1000ma video transmitter with clover leaf antenna for the extra range. I used to use a gimble but I took it off for the stock gopro holder with the rubber mounts to get rid of jello effect. I rarely use googles now I like the screen mounted on the remote lil better so my wife doesn't mess with when I'm wearing googles.. And last thing I just did, I added a 10 led headlight. Which just is another thing to suck power up but I love how Brite it is, it really freaks out the seniors in my neighborhood at night.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1418571971581.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418571971581.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1,067
  • uploadfromtaptalk1418572009161.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418572009161.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,093
  • uploadfromtaptalk1418572046743.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418572046743.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,133
Presenting the Habsdrone
Wanted to keep the camera from separating from the drone after the crash. Therefore I got some red and blue zip ties and added a logo for everybody's favorite hometown team.
Maybe I should fly it in Boston :D

Attachments

• habsdrone (2).jpg
    habsdrone (2).jpg
    8.4 MB · Views: 1,081
  • habsdrone (1).jpg
    habsdrone (1).jpg
    8.4 MB · Views: 1,064
Some different paint schemes on my two vision +

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 921
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    866.4 KB · Views: 971
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    848 KB · Views: 1,033
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 909
Hi all, this is my P2V+ with a little personalization. She just survived an encounter with the Wabasso Florida causeway bridge over the ICW on Christmas day. How it didn't find the water is a miracle. I think Santa was on board. A wind gust caught it and It hit one of the vertical supports about thirty feet up and fell onto the support pier. Was able to retrieve it by kayak. Had some damage to the RR arm which was fixed with epoxy. The battery ejected and was smashed on contact. Ordered a new one today. I split the shell and finished a full inspection, ran the SW assistant and everything checked out. Took a short check flight this afternoon and all is well. Dodged a heck of a bullet on Christmas day.

Attachments

• 20141222_210922.jpg
    20141222_210922.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 774
jumanoc said:
Is this a MOD or a TRICKED photoshop phantom ? :lol:

sazezb.jpg

It must be photoshoped as there should be cables hanging down. But, I have seen retractable landing gears for the P2. It looks cool!

TickTock said:
Here's my "Night Ops Phantom." One of the reasons I got the quad was so I could patrol my property without putting myself into harms way. I would have liked to fit it with a microbolometer, but that was out of my budget so I am using a Sony starlight CCD (.0003 lux sensitivity) with a fisheye lens and dual IR illuminators. Don't need the illuminators if the moon is out, but they are nice when flying near buildings.

Did you use decals to acheive that look? Looks great! I bought gold decals off of eBay. The problem is there are no instructions and it is intimidating!

CaptGump said:
Here's a picture of my modded Phantom.
9x5 CF props and VGE anti-vibe mount with PhantoMount accessory tray.

That is VERY professional looking!

PhantomFanatic said:
It must be photoshoped as there should be cables hanging down. But, I have seen retractable landing gears for the P2. It looks cool!
No Photoshop, this is real mod - old 'HGR' project from RCG (one year ago !), with integrated (NAZA) GPS & Compass - no cables... Nothing new...

Audaciter said:
super janky landing gear extensions (clothes hangers)

"Super Janky" I like it :D

On a more serious note though, it looks like your top shell is not on correctly. It's hard to tell, from the photo, because
you have a "Mono finish" thing going on, but there should be two depressions in the top shell, that line up with the
bottom shell. (Where the red stripes usually go)

If the top shell is not installed in the correct location, the GPS will not function correctly.

I agree with you.

DeweyAXD said:
Thought I'd keep this thread alive. Loving the variety of mods people have done!

Mine is now tricked out with my shapeways gear (won't post a link cause people are probably sick of seeing it by now! :lol: ). I also did a very cheap and cheerfull colour mod. Just a bit of vinyl tape but amazing what such a subtle mod can do to the looks (was never a fan of the red).

Decision on the next mod is tricky... a second front mounted Status LED is the electronics project currently (learning Arduino). Design some quick release landing gear maybe so i take it in a rucksack/bike without a screwdriver.... oh and maybe buy a new shell so I can mod the hell out of it and have a spare! :mrgreen: (i can hear my back manager screeming now).

I thought about painting the bottom of mine in fluorescent Orange, but I didn't feel comfortable using paint. So, I bought a 12" x 12" sheet of adhesive vinyl. I wish I could justify paying $199 for a craft printer that can cut any shape you desire.

But, I just decided to use a paper cutter, to make vinyl strips to cover the underside of the arms. If that doesn't make it stand out, I may resort to paint! Thanks for sharing. I wish I had mine ready for photo!

Figured I would post here as well.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420758918.482276.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420758918.482276.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 899
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420758976.047636.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420758976.047636.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 807
Rit dye and boiling water. There are threads that tell you how. You tube has vids as well

New to forum... :)
Question: Has anyone dyed the body, tx shell and camera assembly? or any of those individual parts? Painted my body but would prefer the resistance of dye.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor