Should we be issued "pilot's license"?

First they should license bicycle riders, I've been **** near killed by more of them than anything, refusing to move over, riding on high speed roads, riding in groups two abreast. If they are worried about interference with air traffic, I would think that model rockets would be a bigger hazard than a controlled quadcopter, they have no control whatsoever and go higher than most quad pilots fly, basically a model missle. If it were not for technology coming from the model aircraft hobby the government wouldn't have their predators and UAVs Now they want to take over our hobby. IMHO I think they want to control the images and information coming from non-official sources IE overflying a FEMA camp etc. I'd rather be paranoid and wrong than wake up one morning and find out all my rights have been taken.

Yeah, just try to get your tank filled without a NAFI or NAUI card in the USA (I have both) - it's not likely to happen.
We are going to get licensing for commercial drone flight, so the mechanism for recording the pilot data will be established.
I don't carry either of those cards and can get tanks filled.

And to the OP, just wait a bit longer as you can bet it is in the works. Although it will most likely be far more technical than your scenario.

First they should license bicycle riders, I've been **** near killed by more of them than anything, refusing to move over, riding on high speed roads, riding in groups two abreast. If they are worried about interference with air traffic, I would think that model rockets would be a bigger hazard than a controlled quadcopter, they have no control whatsoever and go higher than most quad pilots fly, basically a model missle. If it were not for technology coming from the model aircraft hobby the government wouldn't have their predators and UAVs Now they want to take over our hobby. IMHO I think they want to control the images and information coming from non-official sources IE overflying a FEMA camp etc. I'd rather be paranoid and wrong than wake up one morning and find out all my rights have been taken.

Hello & welcome to the forum! :)

Bicycles have to follow the same laws as automobiles in NY and face the same penalties. Probably where you live too.
Comparing models rockets is apples & oranges. I haven't seen any model rockets with cameras, heck even with no cameras flying around my neighborhood, they tend to be flown from very large, very open fields in daylight. And the fact they are uncontrolled makes them less of an issue, they go up, they come down. A quad flys around directed by the pilot who can choose to make bad decisions on locations.
I would assume the military has much more advanced technology than hobby grade models and the didn't borrow it from RC's. If anything hobby RC's got tech from military designs.

What???
Federal agencies do not keep one cent of the fees they collect. It all goes into the General Fund. There has never been a profit motive for rulemaking. But, one Senator (R) is proposing to privatize ATC (again). If that happens, then there will be a profit motive.

Licensing for hobby flight could easily be as simple as Amateur Radio licensing. You pass a written test covering radio theory and the FCC rules. There is no application or license fee, but the volunteer examiner may collect a reimbursement fee for their out-of-pocket expenses incurred in preparing, processing, administering or coordinating your examination.

So, a thought question: What if the FAA implemented a simple licensing for hobby drone operators based on the success of the Volunteer Examiners in the Amateur Radio community? They could easily do it with an administrative NPRM. They could avoid the wrath of the AMA by reclassifying that model aircraft does not include personal multirotor drones. (Really, what are quadcopters a model of?? Besides, the AMA has never really liked multirotor drones. [yes, I am a member.]) It would establish the FAA's authority for hobby flight which would get the local governments off our back with their ludicrous rules. It would assure that most operators of personal drones have at least read the test material which would by itself reduce many of the problematic flights into questionable areas.

Can anyone tell me how this would be a bad thing?

I think that is a great idea! With volunteer examiners, you could even have a "practical test" along with the written to show that you can really handle your bird. The Amateur Radio tests are difficult enough to discourage the flakes so this should be a pretty comprehensive test to really make the applicant "prove" his qualification. I like it!

if car drivers could also follow what they're supposed to learn when getting their licenses..

and either way, a license wouldnt unban flying quads in parks (not talking about national parks but city parks)

im not sure it'd achieve anything at this point. its going to be a wait and see for a few more years probably, to see how many people actually keep using them and so on. if its a minority and the trend goes down, it wont really be an issue. its hard to say even thus im sure everyone here will say "drones are here to stay and everyone and their kid will have one or more" - im not sure thats the case.

just like a minority of people bike, actually.

I do not like nor support the idea of licensing this hobby. And that is exactly what it is, a hobby. If it were ever implemented, I would ignore it just like I do with my motorcycle license (or lack thereof)...

I do not like nor support the idea of licensing this hobby. And that is exactly what it is, a hobby. If it were ever implemented, I would ignore it just like I do with my motorcycle license (or lack thereof)...
Due to the fact that many people have more money than brains I welcome some sort of registration or certification. Your attitude will only help to destroy the hobby. And get your proper licensing like I have so you can ride your bike legally and safely. Being ignorant to the existing regulations such as proper licensing will only promote further restrictions.

Due to the fact that many people have more money than brains I welcome some sort of registration or certification. Your attitude will only help to destroy the hobby. And get your proper licensing like I have so you can ride your bike legally and safely. Being ignorant to the existing regulations such as proper licensing will only promote further restrictions.

I'm not ignorant to the regulations, I just ignore them. I've been riding motorcycles for over 45 years, I think I got a handle on their safety and proper usage just fine thank you very much.

Regarding licensing of these hobby aircrafts, I would fight it tooth & nail. It's completely senseless and serves no purpose other than giving some official governing body access to fees. I'm not about to support more government, I'm all for less government.

I like the idea of a license, especially one that requires you to know all the ins and outs of safe operation before you can pass the test. Mind you, it's not a cure. There's no cure for idiocy! Just look at driving! :eek:

Reactions: LuvMyTJ
Wizaerd, doesn't that invalidate your insurance? Seems pretty irresponsible. What makes you so special that laws and regulations don't apply to you?

Because I'm me, and I've always been special...

Licensing quadcopters serves absolutely no purpose whatsoever. If a license means one is smart, explain all the mid-western drivers who come to Phoenix for the winter (snowbirds), causing chaos and havok whereever they drive... No a license means nothing.

You choose to evade the insurance question Wizaerd. If you are out there riding unlicensed and uninsured (due to the lack of a license) then that is irresponsible no matter how you look at it.

You choose to evade the insurance question Wizaerd. If you are out there riding unlicensed and uninsured (due to the lack of a license) then that is irresponsible no matter how you look at it.

Actually, I have insurance... carrying motorcycle insurance does not require a license, buying a motorcycle doesn't require a license, and in some states no motorcycle license is required to ride one... soooo.....

I'm sure you have an answer to justify in your mind any scenario where you choose to ignore laws and regs. But then I guess I forgot the fact that you are 'special', which makes it okay.

Actually, I have insurance... carrying motorcycle insurance does not require a license, buying a motorcycle doesn't require a license, and in some states no motorcycle license is required to ride one... soooo.....
With he exception of Alabama, unless they finally passed the new rules, and even they offer a class M license, I am curious, what other state or states do not require an 'M' endorsement/license?

Texas didn't when I lived there years ago, as well as Indiana. Probably not true anymore but was true when I lived there...

I was thinking more along the lines of an online test that was administered by this forum, although it would not be "official", it could look official and at least be something that says we know the rules and we abide by them. Of course, any license would still be an honor system. I guess you could have a license and still fly over crowds or too high or whatever. It would be more of a symbolic gesture than something issued by the government.
Anything based on an "honor system" will be abused. It's like "hoping pilots" will follow AMA and FAA "guidelines." A casual look thru Youtube shows how well that works. I understand where you are coming from but w/o enforcement the "license" would quickly become meaningless. Just my 2 cents.

Yeah, just try to get your tank filled without a NAFI or NAUI card in the USA (I have both) - it's not likely to happen.
We are going to get licensing for commercial drone flight, so the mechanism for recording the pilot data will be established.
10-4, it's coming...

I'm not ignorant to the regulations, I just ignore them. I've been riding motorcycles for over 45 years, I think I got a handle on their safety and proper usage just fine thank you very much.

Regarding licensing of these hobby aircrafts, I would fight it tooth & nail. It's completely senseless and serves no purpose other than giving some official governing body access to fees. I'm not about to support more government, I'm all for less government.
First, no federal agency keeps any of the fees they collect. Second, I said 'licensing similar to Amateur Radio licenses', which have no application or license fee.

As responsible operators we would benefit greatly from a hobby drone license. As I said before, it could save the hobby as I believe that most of the idiots flying near airports do it out of ignorance and having a license would at least show that they had read the rules.
It would make it easier to get insurance. Insurance underwriters like numbers, and the number of licensed operators would be a lot more meaningful than the number of drones sold. It would establish the FAA's intent to regulate all flight, preempting local rules. I am surprised that no one has provided a substantive reason against licensing multirotor operators. Lot's of hyperbole, but no negatives of consequence.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl