Should we be issued "pilot's license"?

Reaction score
What if there were a way to issue a license to drone pilots after so many flights or after an online test or something similar to a boating license? Can't that be done relatively easy? Maybe that would calm some of the fears that the public has. When questioned or approached by someone, we could whip out our handy dandy drone license for no other reason than maybe to show that we have working knowledge of the drone and we understand the rules of the road.

My thoughts too, but need the FAA onboard and, well they are bureaucrats, they are big government your idea just makes too much sense. Eventually they will have to go that way, but for now they are trying to shove us into the a plane pilots slot, cause that is all they have.

I was thinking more along the lines of an online test that was administered by this forum, although it would not be "official", it could look official and at least be something that says we know the rules and we abide by them. Of course, any license would still be an honor system. I guess you could have a license and still fly over crowds or too high or whatever. It would be more of a symbolic gesture than something issued by the government.

Reactions: Drew finn
Since everyone in Florida now owns a drone, that Police State will do it to give them one more thing they can fee you, fine you or throw you in jail for.

This is inevitable, and of course for a fee. There is no way this doesn't happen in the next couple of years. Not saying it's bad, just inevitable.

Last edited:
Dennis O'Hara has a great Phantom 3 Ground School site that actually has an online test that you can take. Here's a link to his site:
http://www.p3groundschool.com/home
Good way to test your basic knowledge about your P3.
Lots of really good info here for everybody.
Thanks Dennis for providing the site!
Cool site that...
Just took the quiz..............100/100
(mind you, I just read the manual that I downloaded onto my phone 2 days ago on a flight home from holidays, so it was all fresh in my memory...lol)

Cool site that...
Just took the quiz..............100/100
(mind you, I just read the manual that I downloaded onto my phone 2 days ago on a flight home from holidays, so it was all fresh in my memory...lol)
Yeah, and you get three tries on each question if you get it wrong. Not that anybody here would ever need that.;)

So everywhere are the paranoids that say the big bad Gumb'mt wants to control your life, every little bit of it. I think there should be a bit of regulation in this hobby. We have the ability to fly to a couple thousand feet, that could put our bird in the path of an airplane, it could kill a pilot really. A pilot of a Phantom needs to have his/her wits and needs to be somewhat aware of the surrounding they are flying in. There is a responsibility, it is not a toy.

if they can make money from it, dont worry, they will do the license thing no problem.

So everywhere are the paranoids that say the big bad Gumb'mt wants to control your life, every little bit of it. I think there should be a bit of regulation in this hobby. We have the ability to fly to a couple thousand feet, that could put our bird in the path of an airplane, it could kill a pilot really. A pilot of a Phantom needs to have his/her wits and needs to be somewhat aware of the surrounding they are flying in. There is a responsibility, it is not a toy.
<Sigh> If that ever does happen, be sure to let us know. According to the doomsayers, the world should have already ended by now!

ETA: And you fear-mongers need to make up your minds.......................... are we killing babies or pilots? Or both?!

if they can make money from it, dont worry, they will do the license thing no problem.
What???
Federal agencies do not keep one cent of the fees they collect. It all goes into the General Fund. There has never been a profit motive for rulemaking. But, one Senator (R) is proposing to privatize ATC (again). If that happens, then there will be a profit motive.

Licensing for hobby flight could easily be as simple as Amateur Radio licensing. You pass a written test covering radio theory and the FCC rules. There is no application or license fee, but the volunteer examiner may collect a reimbursement fee for their out-of-pocket expenses incurred in preparing, processing, administering or coordinating your examination.

So, a thought question: What if the FAA implemented a simple licensing for hobby drone operators based on the success of the Volunteer Examiners in the Amateur Radio community? They could easily do it with an administrative NPRM. They could avoid the wrath of the AMA by reclassifying that model aircraft does not include personal multirotor drones. (Really, what are quadcopters a model of?? Besides, the AMA has never really liked multirotor drones. [yes, I am a member.]) It would establish the FAA's authority for hobby flight which would get the local governments off our back with their ludicrous rules. It would assure that most operators of personal drones have at least read the test material which would by itself reduce many of the problematic flights into questionable areas.

Can anyone tell me how this would be a bad thing?

Reactions: dmagnus
............. Can anyone tell me how this would be a bad thing?
Well, when you put it that way.................... lol!! I have no problems with it. My concern was that they would try to practically ban the hobby use of them altogether. Going this route is a no-brainier. So, it looks like I'm with you on at least 2 posts now. Scary thought.

Reactions: dirkclod
For drone (UAV) license, scuba diving license would be the model case, IMO. License as regulation by law (like drivers' license), takes time to change law/system, over many countries. However it can be used by professional, it's basically a hobby (toy).
I'm not a diver, sorry, I remember - people can dive without license, but cannot have a support from professional shop, so usually thought as "must have." Novice can dive w/o license with experts, but if one has license solo diving available. To take license, must take lecture and pass tests. The license is internationally effective.

Reactions: SkyOhio
Well, when you put it that way.................... lol!! I have no problems with it. My concern was that they would try to practically ban the hobby use of them altogether. Going this route is a no-brainier. So, it looks like I'm with you on at least 2 posts now. Scary thought.
Actually, it would make it more difficult for the FAA to ban the hobby because if we had a simple licensing process then even local police could ask to see your license. Any attempts to ban a licensed hobby would require an NPRM and we would have numbers on our side as unlicensed operators would most likely be the ones flying irresponsibly.

LEOs can ask a pilot for their FAA issued Pilot Certificate, but they cannot confiscate it or enforce FAA rules. They can collect evidence of a possible violation of FAA rules. The LEO will provide a witness statement to the FAA for possible enforcement action.

Reactions: snerd
I have BNUC-S license in the UK but I now live in the U.S. Where it's not valid which is a pain!

For drone (UAV) license, scuba diving license would be the model case, IMO. License as regulation by law (like drivers' license), takes time to change law/system, over many countries. However it can be used by professional, it's basically a hobby (toy).
I'm not a diver, sorry, I remember - people can dive without license, but cannot have a support from professional shop, so usually thought as "must have." Novice can dive w/o license with experts, but if one has license solo diving available. To take license, must take lecture and pass tests. The license is internationally effective.
Yeah, just try to get your tank filled without a NAFI or NAUI card in the USA (I have both) - it's not likely to happen.
We are going to get licensing for commercial drone flight, so the mechanism for recording the pilot data will be established.

There really does need to be a test to be able to have and fly one of these jobbers. Some of the jokers I have seen post on this site need locked out from the pilot's seat. Jesus those folks should get a clue.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik