Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Should I replace the motors?

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Discussion' started by jaytrizzle, Jun 2, 2014.

1. jaytrizzle

I was throwing a rooftop party and let my friend fly it. I had the prop guards on and she was learned pretty quickly. Therefore, I made the mistake of continuing to host the party. After a while, she flew close to a wall and suddenly, the drone flipped 90 degrees and and the propellers scraped the wall. This went for about 10 seconds until I shut it off. Two of the props turned black on the tips and got shaved off a bit (about 10% or about halt-1cm).

I wanted to test if the drone would still fly and get some footage of the party so I flew for about another 1 or 2 minutes. After I landed, I touched the motors and I believe two of the motors were hot. I would say skin-scalding hot. I don't remember which one, but I'm assuming the ones that were not black (the ones that were probably stuck) were hot.

I replaced 2 of the props (the ones that were shaved off) and flew the drone at my local park for about 15 minutes and everything seemed fine. I took it to about 500 feet, did some maneuvers.

I'm wondering if I should replace 2 or 4 motors, or is the integrity of the motors still decent for another few flights. Any suggestion would be great! Thanks.

2. nintendrone64

Definitely post a picture of the damage. It is relatively normal for the motors to run really hot, so I wouldn't be surprised if you're okay :)

3. jaytrizzle

Here are a few photos:

the ones with black tips are the rooftop ones.

http://www.victorchuphoto.com/p691518580

should i just throw these away?

also included are some props that are currently on my drone. are these still useable or should i chuck them? im thinking they my affect the balance of the spinning and damage the motors over time.

4. Judderman

I crashed on to concrete a while back, didn't like the sound of a few of the motors spinning whilst turned off. Bearings sounded bad, so I replaced all 4. A bit much perhaps but they are a fairly critical component so I didn't want to take any risks.

I posted a video of this a while back.

5. Judderman

Props look bad...a few scrapes are probably okay perhaps, but missing bits and they would be in the bin!