Shocking disregard for the law - London Flight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. But I did not know a p4 was 150 pounds. They are generalizing but I do understand the point. Rules and laws are two different things. They said the hunt is on for whoever made the video. Wow. Hardcore. Turn yourself in. :)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Chicken Little said.. said:
Flying... over exposed train tracks and Guy's hospital or flying within clear view of MI5 HQ makes me shudder.
It's quite another story riding a motorcycle in a Piccadilly intersection with four idiots flying quads at 50mph to get that sweeping shot of the billboards . It is insanely dangerous.

Wow. Never let the gov see ya shudder Son, that's your first mistake.
As a rider for 45 years and a witness to a motorcyclist dieing 30 feet away from me in 1972, you are paranoid beyond belief. I've lost 4 riding friends to cars/motorcycle crashes, not even 1 scratch from a drone, ever. You have a vivid imagination. I've yet to see 4 quads in the same spot, much less all 4 doing 50 mph for "sweeping shots". You should get a job with the media, they're looking for folks like you.
It's good to know that the USA doesn't have a monopoly on small minded lemmings.

I've moved this thread to the General section where it belongs. Let's keep the commentary civil.

Let's review what we know:
  • The creator of the video just got his Phantom 4 a few weeks ago and is a total novice.
  • He has no training, operating license or other qualifications.
  • He has flown to 1,500ft and was looking for ways to go even higher.
  • Through his posts, it is abundantly clear there is little to no concern, awareness, or obligation to safe operations.
  • He has broken pretty much every CAA drone regulation as has been stated.
  • The CAA know fully about it and will be "getting in touch" with the operator.
  • There will always be bad apples. It's not going to kill your hobby but it will bring it bad press.
This is pretty much the perfect example of what not to do.

Well for a complete novice his video is absolutely outstanding. Great editing and flying skills well above what I'd call a novice.

A nice video doesn't make you a seasoned pilot. What would that had looked like if he suddenly lost all GPS? Had he spent much time practicing in Atti in tight areas? I'm not saying hang the kid, the video is well made, I hope he doesn't get in too much trouble. After all nothing actually happened here. To John Q Public though, it's another reason why "drones are bad".

Reactions: UKInfamous
Just curious as to whether or not the pilot in this video broke any rules...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea, that one was shared by my friends mom. Popped up on my feed this morning and I clicked on it because I had a feeling it was a drone video. He flies over roads and congested areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did not look like it. He was over a building. So what. But most was on the side of items. Like side of beach. Side of road. Outstanding video. Just not complete I think. Very short.

Did not look like it. He was over a building. So what. But most was on the side of items. Like side of beach. Side of road. Outstanding video. Just not complete I think. Very short.

Well it did look like he was within 50 meters of people ;)

Reactions: maseman88
I would imagine our resident awesome dude pilot is crapping his pants and crying for mommy right about now. Being awesome and above the law is hard when you've had to go off the grid. On the lam. Lol!!

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk Pro 3

We have facts here and we have opinions.

Opinions: This was a great video (despite jello, drone arms, choppy edits, etc.). Love to see the courage this rogue pilot has to film such beautiful sights! Nothing dangerous or risky about this video.
Simply opinions - everyone is entitled to feel how they feel about this video.

Facts: This video is not in compliance with current laws regarding UAS flying in the UK - there is no disputing that fact.
This was an egregious enough violation of safety that the BBC has published an article on this very video.
Those are the facts, irregardless of how individuals feel about the safety or the laws - this video is in violation of the law.

Continue the debate here, but nothing posted will ever change the facts.

I would imagine our resident awesome dude pilot is crapping his pants and crying for mommy right about now. Being awesome and above the law is hard when you've had to go off the grid. On the lam. Lol!!

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk Pro 3

I doubt it.
If the owner of the vid wants a race up the Thames I'm game

We have facts here and we have opinions.

Opinions: This was a great video (despite jello, drone arms, choppy edits, etc.). Love to see the courage this rogue pilot has to film such beautiful sights! Nothing dangerous or risky about this video.
Simply opinions - everyone is entitled to feel how they feel about this video.
Exactly

Facts: This video is not in compliance with current laws regarding UAS flying in the UK - there is no disputing that fact.
This was an egregious enough violation of safety that the BBC has published an article on this very video.
Those are the facts, irregardless of how individuals feel about the safety or the laws - this video is in violation of the law.

Continue the debate here, but nothing posted will ever change the facts.
Here is another FACT. There are speed limits correct? People exceed them all the time. I do every single day. If I get caught I have to pay the fine or even perhaps go to jail if my speeding is excessive enough. Do I think my speeding endangers anyone. NOPE! Where I live I pass three cars on the 80 mile trip on a 4 lane highway. If I get a ticket I pay my fine. Same premise. If you make the height limit for UAV's 1000 someone will fly 1200.. If you make the distance 50M from people someone will fly 25. I'm curious how many commercial planes have been hit by a drone? I have not read of a single one. just a bunch of BS news reports saying "nearly missed" really by how much? I am skeptical. Would I have done what he did here? No way in hell. If I was going to take a huge risk (risk of getting caught no risk to people or any other made up media garbage) there is no way I would have posted it to youtube. If I had I would have made absolutely sure that it wouldn't come back to me. Which this guy very well may have.

Exactly

Here is another FACT. There are speed limits correct? People exceed them all the time. I do every single day. If I get caught I have to pay the fine or even perhaps go to jail if my speeding is excessive enough. Do I think my speeding endangers anyone. NOPE! Where I live I pass three cars on the 80 mile trip on a 4 lane highway. If I get a ticket I pay my fine. Same premise. If you make the height limit for UAV's 1000 someone will fly 1200.. If you make the distance 50M from people someone will fly 25. I'm curious how many commercial planes have been hit by a drone? I have not read of a single one. just a bunch of BS news reports saying "nearly missed" really by how much? I am skeptical. Would I have done what he did here? No way in hell. If I was going to take a huge risk (risk of getting caught no risk to people or any other made up media garbage) there is no way I would have posted it to youtube. If I had I would have made absolutely sure that it wouldn't come back to me. Which this guy very well may have.

Many of the concerns stem from the extent of the violations. Your speeding example is likely a false equivalence, because I'm guessing that you don't often exceed the speed limit by a factor of 3, and if you did then you would certainly lose your license.

In this case the pilot did exceed height restrictions even for uncontrolled airspace by a factor of 3. On top of that, he flew in fully controlled airspace, including through designated airways, without ATC clearance. That is a hazard to other air traffic and a violation of aviation law. He flew over crowded areas and close around structures - in contravention of CAA rules for drone operations. That is the same situation that led to serious injury of a pedestrian last year in Seattle.

I would have thought that most reasonable people would agree that there needs to be a balance between the freedom to be creative and have fun and the need to respect rules and regulations regarding safety. Speeding by 10 mph - yes - many of us probably do that without unduly compromising road safety. Operating a 1.5 kg UAV in the middle of the London H4 helicopter route - I don't think so. That level of disregard for others should have consequences.

Here is another FACT. There are speed limits correct? People exceed them all the time. I do every single day. If I get caught I have to pay the fine or even perhaps go to jail if my speeding is excessive enough. Do I think my speeding endangers anyone. NOPE! Where I live I pass three cars on the 80 mile trip on a 4 lane highway. If I get a ticket I pay my fine.
My Uncle was a drunk, Drove drunk more than he drove sober. Back in the day he used to pride himself on how well he drove while under the influence. He'd brag about it, and about the fact that he had never been pulled over, never had an accident. He made the claim that he was actually more cautious when drinking, and thus a safer driver.
That all changed one evening when he was drunk and speeding home after a stop off at the bar after work - wanted to be home for dinner so he was hurrying. He drifted into the oncoming lane at 60 mph and hit a family of 5 head on. The mother and two children were killed on impact, it was a long recovery for the father and the oldest child. My Uncle wasn't hurt. It was the end for him and his family. Lawsuits left them penniless and he spent the next few years drinking himself to death while my Aunt struggled to keep a roof over their heads.
Each time I hear someone employ the logical fallacy that "Behavior A is illegal but no harm has come from it, so therefore behavior B must be acceptable as well" I think of my Uncle and the effect his up-to-that-point-harmless-choices had on two families.

Same premise
Yeah, it is...and it is a logical fallacy as well.

If you make the height limit for UAV's 1000 someone will fly 1200.. If you make the distance 50M from people someone will fly 25. I'm curious how many commercial planes have been hit by a drone? I have not read of a single one. just a bunch of BS news reports saying "nearly missed" really by how much? I am skeptical.
People will always break the laws, and they will suffer the consequences when harm comes from it. Your comment seems to say that "until an accident with an airliner actually occurs - continue to fly in violation of the law, in violation of safety." Will you change your attitude once an accident happens? Will the outcome be worth those few seconds of video or the glory of adding your name to a log of distance/height records? I doubt it.

Reactions: snerd and Goldni
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT