Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Shell replacement cost

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by jimerb, Sep 11, 2016.

1. jimerb

Anyone know how much DJI charges for a shell replacement in the US?

I see lots of posts on the topic but none seem to mention cost.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

2. Digdat0

3. msinger

Approved Vendor

To clarify, are you asking how much it costs if you send your Phantom to DJI?

4. jimerb

5. bighi

It's covered for free. UPS shipping includes. I've already had 3 phantom 4 shells replaced free of charge after going through the rma procedure.

6. foxtrot101

Wow... 3 times... that's encouraging after dropping over $1,000 on a product.

Sent from my SM-G900V using PhantomPilots mobile app

7. borgroves

Why would you need shells replaced on the P4? Is this a common problem? I know it is on the P3 by the motors.

8. Roamer105

How about after a crash? Still free?

9. bighi

Forget it after a crash. That's user error. As for P4, while tougher, put in enough miles instead of hovering and they crack as well. Here is where they crack every time. Better design but material thickness could still be improved.
    20160819_150113.jpg

10. sladesamess1

I just bought 2 shell sets from DJI $128.00 I was really surprised that they were delivered from China in 4 days. Great service.

11. driehl

I have a quote of 140 canadian ..80 shell and 60 labour to have it done of i need it at some point.

Sent from my SM-N9300 using PhantomPilots mobile app

12. driehl

I just installed the reinforcements as a precaution due to all the horror stories
    . They are very sturdy and fit well.

Sent from my SM-N9300 using PhantomPilots mobile app

13. Roamer105

OK. Finished. I replaced the main board and the complete shell including landing gear (although the old one was not damaged) after a crash. Since the center board is essentially the "brain" of the bird, when I turned it on, not only did it want me to register the "new" bird just as if it actually were a new bird, but it also needed to be updated to the latest firmware. After that, I calibrated the the bird, IMU, compass and gimbal. Then I started the motors and made sure they all turned the proper way. All is OK. Tomorrow, I'll take it for a basic test flight. It sure looks and feels brand new! Total cost around $200.

Jimmy1952 likes this.
  14. Roamer105

Took my "second" first flight today. Totally stable, all sensors and controls work great, video looks great!
    Got a new bird!

15. Jimmy1952

I just finished replacing the shell on my p4. She'll cost was around 66 bucks. Kind of crazy how they mounted the motors . You either have to cut wires or de solder fron ESc board. I opted to cut wires... Just a warning , need to clean wires , they have a coating on them that must be removed , or they wont solder.

16. With The Birds

I hope you got the insulation thoroughly of each of the individual strands. As you have likely worked out, the fly leads are simply a continuation of the motor windings. One poor connection and you will have one field coil not properly energised.

17. Jimmy1952

I think I did , used some very fine sandpaper and a fine wire brush on a Dramel toot , and pre tinned. Has been flying good but I am still not totally happy with the job. Being a Helicopter mechanic in real life , I am problem overly cutious.

18. Jimmy1952

An searching now for a good crimping device to go back over them plus solder.

19. With The Birds

Your braver than I am. I was only looking at the the way the hub and control links are put together in a bell Long ranger yesterday and decided I wouldn't like the responsibility of putting that back together.

20. Jimmy1952

IiNever worked on a Ranger , just Huey and Cobra. Of course the same safety practices apply to all. My main concern was having a weak link and a heated wire may finish it off. I may have to do what I was trying to avoid, run new wires from the ESC boards and have and extra good connection up close to the motors. , or 3 good conections .