Setting up the Futaba T8FGS (or 14SG) with the P2

Re: Setting up the Futaba T8FGS with the P2

Yeah, that was me. I did not realize that the profile was out there. I had tried to do it all manually.

Anyway, still working on the config trying different things and researching various settings. One us will figure this out :)

hsestes said:
Yeah, that was me. I did not realize that the profile was out there. I had tried to do it all manually.

Anyway, still working on the config trying different things and researching various settings. One us will figure this out :)

Oh, that was you! Lol

Somewhat parallel to this:

You have used channel 8 to drive the gimbal channel by mixing it with channel 5. I am using a 550 without s-bus so I would like to use channel 8 for switch control (RCCC) since I can't use the s-bus features to get to the aux channels. Do I just have to take off the mix? Any other ideas for doing this?

I was able to figure out that if you change the motor from 27 down to 11 it does speed up the gimbal tilt. But that is still not exactly what we want? Would like a slow and fast tilt, correct? Don't guess you can set two different motor speeds? Back to Google-Foo!

Was thrilled to see my T8FGS had arrived. Opened the box.... switch SC is broken :( Off to Futaba it goes.

Muddie said:
Was thrilled to see my T8FGS had arrived. Opened the box.... switch SC is broken :( Off to Futaba it goes.

That sucks! Can't you just returned it to were you bought it and get a replacement?

DesertFlyer53 said:
ianwood said:
Yeah, that should be easy. I'll look at that.

Any luck with this yet ianwood?

Never mind. I figured it out. H/W Reverse. :)

Morning,
Me too and I have configured also End Point for GEAR

DesertFlyer53 said:
That sucks! Can't you just returned it to were you bought it and get a replacement?

It was a private deal conducted on another forum. Took me awhile to find one at the price I wanted to pay, so figured I'd avoid the hassle of sending back and waiting for a refund and just send to Futaba. Probably not a bad idea anyway since I don't know the history of the radio.

Slightly off-topic..... for those who have installed the center-spring kit on the throttle, what are your thoughts / experiences after the mod? Any issues / regrets?

Muddie said:
Slightly off-topic..... for those who have installed the center-spring kit on the throttle, what are your thoughts / experiences after the mod? Any issues / regrets?

None. It performs well for me on both my P2 and my F550 (I have the radio bound to both). When it was free floating, I would sometimes bump it when wearing gloves or moving the radio around - especially when hovering and looking at the FPV while trying to frame a shot. Once I did it ever so slightly with the 550 about four feet off the ground and it plopped down in a snow bank. No harm done but I immediately found a mod kit and took care of the issue.

Muddie said:

No issues and no regrets. I flew several times before I got the centering spring and didn't like it. Much better with it in my opinion.

I agree. I received mine today and just finished the install a while ago. When flying previously, it was easy to bump it and notice your dropping in altitude rapidly :shock:

Wow! Thanks for all the effort that went into working up this solution to gimbal control and the controller programming! This certainly seems like the way to go! Can I ask:

1. Which Futaba 8FGS controller works best with the Phantom 2 (airplane or heli) or does it matter?
2. If you think the stock rx in the PHantom 2 is sufficient. I can reduce the overhead for the controller if I can just purchase the Futaba controller without the rx unit!

I have the Phantom 2 with zenmuse gimbal and gopro black 3+. Trying to adjust the gimbal smoothly while changing altitude has been driving me crazy! I am new to this as a hobby but I find it totally fascinating. Unfortunately, getting to a point where I'm satisfied with the setup is seriously killing my cash flow! :D

keefer said:
Wow! Thanks for all the effort that went into working up this solution to gimbal control and the controller programming! This certainly seems like the way to go! Can I ask:

1. Which Futaba 8FGS controller works best with the Phantom 2 (airplane or heli) or does it matter?
2. If you think the stock rx in the PHantom 2 is sufficient. I can reduce the overhead for the controller if I can just purchase the Futaba controller without the rx unit!

I have the Phantom 2 with zenmuse gimbal and gopro black 3+. Trying to adjust the gimbal smoothly while changing altitude has been driving me crazy! I am new to this as a hobby but I find it totally fascinating. Unfortunately, getting to a point where I'm satisfied with the setup is seriously killing my cash flow! :D

1. Airplane

2. The stock P2 receiver is sufficient. I've been flying with this radio and the stock P2 receiver with no issues at all. I don't know if you can just buy the transmitter and not the receiver. I think they come as a package deal. It's not a bad idea to have the receiver anyway. Some day you may want to buy another quad or hexi copter. If you do, you can use the receiver in that.

ianwoods profile smooths out the gimbal perfectly. Be sure to read all the info ianwood put on this thread so you understand everything. He also has triple rates built onto his profile which helps smooth out the P2 for better filming.

nhirsch said:
A couple people asked for the config so I've made it available here (name is Phantom-1 but works on Phantom 2):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6288748/PHANTOM-1

You may want to go into assistant and check everything and while at it, go to Basic, RC and recalibrate the Tilt LD knob by moving thru the range you want to use. I use the entire range of the knob. Click finish when done there.

It is "mentioned to go into assistant software and check everything" what are you checking is the some exact settings to look for? Please explain.

extrememc said:
nhirsch said:
A couple people asked for the config so I've made it available here (name is Phantom-1 but works on Phantom 2):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6288748/PHANTOM-1

You may want to go into assistant and check everything and while at it, go to Basic, RC and recalibrate the Tilt LD knob by moving thru the range you want to use. I use the entire range of the knob. Click finish when done there.

It is "mentioned to go into assistant software and check everything" what are you checking is the some exact settings to look for? Please explain.

Make sure you are downloading the correct profile. The one you quoted above is different than the one that I am maintaing for this thread which you can download here: T8FGS Profile v3 for Phantom 2. Your choice, just make sure you know which one you're downloading.

When it comes to checking the profile, you need to plug the Phantom into the Phantom Assistant and confirm each channel is calibrated properly. For the sticks, it's 1,000 at the top, 0 in the middle and -1,000 at the bottom. Also check the IOC and mode switches in the corresponding screens.

I've already sent 2 emails to Futaba support about the throttle spring kit, but got no reply. What did you guys write to get the kits?

@DesertFlyer53 Can you please explain why get the Airplane vs Heli? I so ready to pull trigger. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

extrememc said:
@DesertFlyer53 Can you please explain why get the Airplane vs Heli? I so ready to pull trigger. :)

They're pretty much the same thing. One has a ratchet, the other has a plastic cover on it. You can convert from one to the other. I have the heli version, others have the airplane version. They've both been set up to work exactly the same way.

Kicerk52 said:
I've already sent 2 emails to Futaba support about the throttle spring kit, but got no reply. What did you guys write to get the kits?

They won't reply. They just show up in the mail. Obviously make sure to give them your mailing address.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164