Setting up the Futaba T8FGS (or 14SG) with the P2

DesertFlyer53 said:
SJBrit said:
Even when I switch in a bunch of expo on AIL and ELE I let them swing to 100% in case in need to take some evasive action. So far I like it, but it remains to be seen how much I use each mode in practice.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Ianwood uses expo. I think he just limits the throws. I think expo might be fun to try.

Expo is great. Even a little expo with full throw makes the controls feel a whole lot more natural. Everything feels much "softer" coming of stick-center and it's very intuitive to adjust to the non-linear response.

Just read up a bit on Conditions too and it seems that everything on the MODEL menu can change for different conditions. Now I have my brain whirring....

SJBrit said:
I'm all out of program mixes, so maybe conditions gives me some more degrees of freedom? I'll have to read up on how conditions work to see if it's helpful. Anyone else here used them? I think they work for gliders too.

I have never tried Conditions, but I like this sentence from the 14SG manual, page 115:
For glider, many dedicated mixes can be set for each flight condition, as required. To switch the settings for each condition by switch or stick position, use the Condition Select function to add flight conditions. (Up to five conditions can be used)

Statement of the Obvious: 5*5 program mixes would be immensely richer than 5 program mixes...

Kelly

wkf94025 said:
Statement of the Obvious: 5*5 program mixes would be immensely richer than 5 program mixes...

Kelly

Exactly. The more I get into this Tx the more I am realizing what an amazing beast it is.

I love the discussions taking place atm, sounds like great ideas!
Good job all of you!

Now if only my T14SG could arrive soon... it's still backordered apparently with no info on when it'll be available...

Desert, expo was what I was thinking of for v5. SJBrit, agreed on the need for more program mixes. For heli mode are talking about using the swash mixes as a substitute?

ianwood said:
Desert, expo was what I was thinking of for v5. SJBrit, agreed on the need for more program mixes. For heli mode are talking about using the swash mixes as a substitute?

Now there's an idea: I hadn't thought of that. Right now I'm just looking into using either glider or helo mode so you can use conditions to set multiple versions of all the MODEL menu functions.

ianwood said:
So technically-you can have more "models" in V5". We already have a 3 position switch to limit rates and add some Expo....but, you could actually create entirely different "Profiles", which we could load from the main menu, for say; "windy", "calm", "Fun", "AP"....all with different Expo's and curves, etc.

I think you're on to something here......just create "Phantom 2(V5), then P3, P4, and P5....as models; each with different values and mixes......
I love my 14SGH.... :)

havasuphoto said:
So technically-you can have more "models" in V5". We already have a 3 position switch to limit rates and add some Expo....but, you could actually create entirely different "Profiles", which we could load from the main menu, for say; "windy", "calm", "Fun", "AP"....all with different Expo's and curves, etc.

I think you're on to something here......just create "Phantom 2(V5), then P3, P4, and P5....as models; each with different values and mixes......

Very true. Keep the switch assignments the same but change the expo and mixes for different environments/uses. Maybe even have different behaviors on the gimbal.

ianwood said:
havasuphoto said:

Very true. Keep the switch assignments the same but change the expo and mixes for different environments/uses. Maybe even have different behaviors on the gimbal.
create 1 model for adjusting gains, where L-knob is X2 yaw gain, and R-knob is X1 p/r gains(this will need to be set by the user in Naza)...oh, forgot-you don't have any drop down boxes in the Phantom 2.......unless I missed something; tried Phantom and Naza mode, and it's stuck on INH with no drop down boxes...am I missing something or is that just the way it is now?

havasuphoto said:

I think you might me able to do it where you create a single model with multiple conditions and you simply select which condition (just like your list). You could easily assign three conditions to a three-way switch, or maybe all 5 conditions to one of the dials? Maybe that's too easy to mess up.

My questions are:

1) Can Ian's profile work as a HELI or GLIDER type? Or,
2) Does the 14SG Multirotor model type support conditions in the new 4.0 firmware from Futaba?

Got some reading to do....

I am getting a Radian Pro motor glider, to help rationalize all the $$$ I've dropped on Futaba, FPV, etc., ;)
In the process I have read up a fair bit recently on glider flight modes, particularly models set up on the 14SG by Radian Pro pilots. I think the right use of the Futaba programming capabilities is one model with up to 5 conditions, not multiple models (except as needed if 5 conditions times 5 mixes is insufficient). But that's all based on reading, and not experimenting. Maybe helicopter model with swash types is equal or superior to glider "conditions". I suspect SJBrit will have definitive answers shortly.

Kelly

Well, that's step 1 complete: I have my program completely re-implemented as a glider rather than an airplane. No problems at all. The only difference is that IOC is AUX6 in glider mode, rather than VPP in airplane. Everything else is almost exactly the same: you just have to set the trim mode to COMB (which makes the trim sliders work the same in all CONDITIONS).

The one thing I discovered is that you can either assign your dual rates to a switch OR to conditions, not both. I left mine on a switch since I can't think of why I'd need more than 3 dual rate modes.

So, tomorrow I'll try to find time to fly it to make sure it all works right, but looking at my servo outputs and the Naza Assistant response I'm pretty confident everything is fine. Then I'll have a mess with some new mixes with additional conditions to see how it works.

For now, for my flying, I am planning to leave most things the same for each condition - I want to get my muscle memory dialed in and not have to worry about which condition I'm in for reflexive flying. But, I've already started to use SB+LD and SC+RD for "cinematography" modes, so I plan to use conditions to potentially add another 8 modes on those controls.

Then the only question will be: what to do with all that freedom?!!! Woohoo! :cool:

OK, I'm stumped. Either I'm doing it wrong, or conditions aren't what I thought they were. I got everything working as a glider, then added a second condition but anytime i change a Prog Mix in one condition it also changes the other one. Has anyone else had a look at this?

SJBrit said:
OK, I'm stumped. Either I'm doing it wrong, or conditions aren't what I thought they were. I got everything working as a glider, then added a second condition but anytime i change a Prog Mix in one condition it also changes the other one. Has anyone else had a look at this?

Sounds like the prog mixes stay the same under each condition. Have you tried moving any of the prog mixes to the swash types under heli? That should free up a bunch of them. I won't be able to try any of this until the weekend.

first I would like to thank everyone for sharing their experience/info with the rest of us. Really it's very much appreciated for us just entering this maze.
Perhaps a special thanks is due to Ianwood and Steven Anderson for making this aerial photography bonus achievable.

while the current profile v4 is very much robust and there is nothing wrong with it, and am sure Ianwood is working on something better, I have read that some have customize it. I tried to do it, but unfortunately I can't find enough information on how to do it. It's very hard even to exchange two switches in Ianwood profile.

Currently I have the following setup, which is the easy part :) ;
SC --> IOC settings
SD --> flight mode settings
SH --> counter reset

I am trying to achieve the following:
implement the Yaw gain (brilliant idea btw "Triple rate controls") to switch SG.
As for the camera, since we are working with gopro, i don't see the need for RS switch to fine tune the position of the camera. from my point of view, fixed positions will achieve all aerial video purposes and FPV purposes. so 0, 23, 45, 67, 90 degrees is more than enough to cover all requirements.

now to achieve this you get rid of the RS switch and implement three switches: SA for setting the motor speed, SF & SE to set the angle.
SA=UP --> Normal Speed
SA=MID --> 60% Speed
SA=Down --> 30% Speed

SF=UP , SE=UP --> 0
SF=UP , SE=MID --> 45
SF=UP , SE=Down --> 90
SF=Down , SE=UP --> 0
SF=Down , SE=MID --> 23
SF=Down , SE=MID --> 67

so basically, all flight switches are UP positions to start with and all on right side. All camera switches are UP positions to start with and all on left side.
I don't know if this is doable, i can set the switch to 3 fixed camera positions and then am stumbled as how to complete the setup. if anyone is interested to achieve this setup please comment/contribute.
needless to say, Ianwood, if you have the time to do it (pleeeeeease), i will gladly pay for it.

greatly appreciated.
Alex

Attachments

• Futaba 8fg perfect settings.jpg
    Futaba 8fg perfect settings.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 997
You could certainly use two switches to set multiple fixed angles, but I don't believe there is a way that you can set different tilt rates. I have my tilt rate regulate by the servo speed setting, and that's just a one time setting. To be honest, once you have a nice slow tilt in there I'm not sure there's a huge amount of need to adjust it.

As for switches, I can have a crack at describing how to set that up (after i've finished messing with my new FPV setup this weekend). I know how to do it - just got to put some instructions together. For myself, I'm already pretty much out of switches so using two up for the gimbal is something I don't want to do. I like the silders - especially no that I have eliminated the clicking and the central detent.

I agree SJBrit, I changed the speed rate through phantom assistant and the tilt is very nice now.
I am still confused about how to do the sow yaw and assign it to SG. As I mentioned before Ianwood profile works, it's just the switches are not were I like them to be.
I would appreciate any help in setting the second switch to do the fixed tilt on 23, 67
also how to do Ianwood slow Yaw trim on switch SG

Played with the expos a little this weekend. Made them a little more responsive to match the 3.04 firmware (eliminates the snap yaw in 3.04). Also did some tweaking on the radial mode where you can simply turn the dial to get it to rotate around an object. Still need to work on the other shooting mode and haven't even looked at using the heli mode and swash mixes. Not sure the latter will be part of v5 unless there's a compelling reason. Unless we decide to cram something else in there, I can probably post up v5 this weekend.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18