Setting up the Futaba T8FGS (or 14SG) with the P2

Got my new P2 a few days ago-and finally got around to putting everything together. Luckily, I got it right the first time, and everything worked....almost.
The DJI remote, gimbal tilt on the back-is DOA. Unable to tilt the gimbal-or do anything with that little lever. Even tried turning the screw in the back of the remote-there's some sort of "adjustment" there, not sure what it does, but turning it didn't do a thing.
Tried RC assistant and Naza...but hey, at least I could calibrate the DJI remote, and start the engines.

Sadly, my used T8FGS cannot be calibrated. I've check sub-trims, and everything on the remote I can check. Tried calibrating in Naza-got the aircraft to bind to the remote, and I can get close-but no cigar. Cannot do a CSC to start the engines.
On the plus side-the gimbal tilt works great......but, can't start the engines with 1 remote, then fly with the Futaba..already thought of that-and the aircraft won't bind to both at the same time.

Also, OT; a P2, with FPV(AVL58), iosd mini, h3-3d, taller legs and mounting kit, fpv hub, and battery-AUW=3lbs, or 1360.78 grams!!
OH-and you cannot run Naza without updating to the latest firmware-period. Will not allow you to use lower generations...just screwed right now with 3.04.
hopefully I can get this thing flying tomorrow.....

EDIT: too windy Today.
Seller of the T8FGS that I bought is going to refund my money-already sent it back. AND, I just ordered a brand new Futaba 14SGH 2.4GHZ R7008SB Heli MD 2 Transmitter!!! IKR!! Thing was expensive. But-it's brand new, has a warranty, and it will probably be the last remote I will need to buy.

Hi guy's
Just a couple quick questions 1 being with F/S mode on the old transmitter when you activated it the phantom would rise to a set height before coming home I notice with mine when testing this never happened any one else have this problem.
Also on Ver 4 i now seem to notice that my gimbal will not center the shot with fast movements any way to fix this I am using the Futaba receiver but wondering if I should go back to the original one will I loose any functions changing back .

there are two ways I know of to modify gimbal speed with the 14SG (can't speak to the 8):
1) the SERVO_SPEED function in the Futaba radio (try around 25 or 26)
2) the gain setting on the gimbal page in the DJI Assistant (try around 5)

Search this thread for details.

Kelly

wkf94025 said:
there are two ways I know of to modify gimbal speed with the 14SG (can't speak to the 8):
1) the SERVO_SPEED function in the Futaba radio (try around 25 or 26)
2) the gain setting on the gimbal page in the DJI Assistant (try around 5)

Search this thread for details.

Kelly
Thanks. I just ordered a new 14SGH-this will go into my "notes".

So I don't have to re-read all the pages-can someone just give me a short list of the differences between the 8FG and the 14?

Had a great 3 flights with the new P2 Today....amazing!!! White ball dampers, everything was smooth up to 17+m/sec.
Only down side is my Phantom remote won't tilt....but, that's an easy fix when the new TX gets here-I hope.

Sorry to post this here and in another Futaba-centric thread; trying to find the right Futaba black belt who might have already been down this road, or a relevant similar road:

I just installed the R7008SB receiver in my P2, after months of flying with the stock receiver in the P2 and the 14SG radio. Everything looks fine on the bench between the 14SG and the R7008SB, including CSC, throttle control, failsafe, IOC modes, etc. My question now is how to install the pan & tilt servos that are part of the Fatshark 600TVL camera. It seems *physically* I could connect the pan servo and tilt servo to the NAZA, but I am guessing that connecting them to the R7008SB makes more sense. Appreciate any guidance from anyone who has connected conventional servos into the Naza+Futaba Sbus2 environment.

Kelly

I just replaced my NiMH Battery in the T8FGS with a Turnigy 2 cell 7.24v 2200mah Lipo and a Align CH-150X Balance Charger. $40 out the door.

Battery charged from 7.4v up to full charge in less than an hour. Should last a long time.

I just had to replace the Battery connector to the Futaba/ Servo plug. And trim a bit off the plastic center rails on the backside of the battery cover. Fit's in nicely.

Well, this thread just cost me $600 for a Futaba 14SG!! I was pondering switching from my stock DJI Tx but this thread pushed me into "GOT TO DO IT!!!"

You are a rock star Mr. Wood. If I wore a hat, it would currently be off - you will just have to picture it I'm afraid.

Did you get to think about the poor man's POV again? I was mulling something similar when I saw you had mentioned it in this thread. For me an ideal setup would be a variable rate maneuver using using LD or RD, and that that control input would supplement the stick input.

The reason is that I want to be able to do POV around a moving object (horses, in my case), and so I would like to be able to fly some trajectory and then dial-in POV in top of that. I wonder if that would be possible? It would be far from perfect of course, but a whole lot easier than trying to do it by hand which I am currently practicing with varying success.

Once I'm set up with my new Tx and have some confidence I will have a crack at it.

Well, I just received my brand new 14SGH-and it doesn't have the self-centering throttle??!! WTH? Am I missing something here?
Gonna contact the Dealer-and Futaba....
Not pleased.

EDIT: took me all of about 5 minutes to copy the file onto the remote, calibrate the remote, etc. Turned on remote, turned on P2-whie it was attached to laptop-yellow, yellow....pushed the flashing green button on the right middle of the aircraft and held it for a few seconds, turned the remote off-then back on...connected.
Calibrate in Naza-verify switches do what they're supposed to, and label switches(I use masking tape-simple). Done.

Now-stupid question; assuming the remote is laying flat on my lap, what position should the antenna be in? straight up, 45 degree's, or straight out level with the horizon...?

Have to go into the menu's and figure out how to make the timer start at 10% throttle, and count up, and need the other timer to countdown from 12 minutes, same throttle position. I already know where the reset switch is.....I'm sure it's pretty easy to set-up.
Going to do some long range testing Tomorrow. Previously went to 1000M w/stock remote-no issues.

OH-and Thanks ianwood.
FYI-my P2 is a "drunk sparrow" too....13 deg E variation, J-hook and all ;)

I have a couple of questions/ideas:

1) I believe ianwood's V4 has RS moving the gimbal from 0* to 90*. Could you additionally program LS to move, say -10* to 10* in a way that would add to the RS control input? That way you would have coarse control on the right, and fine control about that position on the left? Seems like that would be really useful.

2) Is there way to get the Phantom to "continue on current course" via a switch? I was reading the issues with loss of radio signal on the F550 and the fact that the receiver by default goes into Futaba's "remember the last control inputs" mode. It would be awesome to get the Phantom trucking along and switch it into "hands free" be locking-in the stick inputs so you can focus on camera controls, then flip back into "hands on" mode after a few seconds. Is there a way to do that, perhaps by leveraging Futaba's failsafe (but without screwing with the more useful Naza failsafe)?

havasuphoto said:
Now-stupid question; assuming the remote is laying flat on my lap, what position should the antenna be in? straight up, 45 degree's, or straight out level with the horizon...?

It kind of depends how you fly. The antenna pattern is like a donut slotted over the antenna. So, there's no signal coming out of the end of the antenna (that's the donut hole) and signal coming out all around it. Since I generally fly at low altitude I point my antenna straight up. That means my donut hole is pointing harmlessly up in the sky with my signal spraying out around me through 360*. The only problem then is if I go really high overhead, I might lose signal. So, in that case I just rotate the antenna so it's horizontal with the ground and then I have signal overhead.

95% of the time with the Phantom out in front of me and not high, my antenna is oriented straight up. That's a good default position.

SJBrit said:
havasuphoto said:
Well, I just received my brand new 14SGH-and it doesn't have the self-centering throttle??!! WTH? Am I missing something here?

BTW, I forgot to mention: I'm hoping this works on my 14SG when it arrives next week. Maybe you can let me know!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpaOrs5Hdl0

No its not the same as this video, u need to have the self centering piece and spring (Extra) to do the mod. U can get it from futaba (call its free) or from some dealers. i got mine from www.rpinnovationssg.com ...20 bucks got in 3 days i have no affiliation with them... Its really easy i just did it on my 14sg and it works great. and this profile is what i used for my 14sg as well, With a little modification for slider placement and some timer stuff.

I don't know....the Ad on mine said it came with self-centering throttle....but didn't. e-mailed the Dealer and Futaba.
I've got 2 other remotes that don't have self-centering, so it's not a big deal.....but, I'd like to have it anyways.

havasuphoto said:
I don't know....the Ad on mine said it came with self-centering throttle....but didn't. e-mailed the Dealer and Futaba.
I've got 2 other remotes that don't have self-centering, so it's not a big deal.....but, I'd like to have it anyways.

Emailing Futaba did not work for me. Phoning them did the trick - they sent the kit free of charge.

SJBrit said:
Well, this thread just cost me $600 for a Futaba 14SG!! I was pondering switching from my stock DJI Tx but this thread pushed me into "GOT TO DO IT!!!"

You are a rock star Mr. Wood. If I wore a hat, it would currently be off - you will just have to picture it I'm afraid.

Did you get to think about the poor man's POV again? I was mulling something similar when I saw you had mentioned it in this thread. For me an ideal setup would be a variable rate maneuver using using LD or RD, and that that control input would supplement the stick input.

The reason is that I want to be able to do POV around a moving object (horses, in my case), and so I would like to be able to fly some trajectory and then dial-in POV in top of that. I wonder if that would be possible? It would be far from perfect of course, but a whole lot easier than trying to do it by hand which I am currently practicing with varying success.

Once I'm set up with my new Tx and have some confidence I will have a crack at it.

Same for me - thank you ianwood for your skill and generosity in developing and sharing this profile - it would have taken me months to figure this out on my own. It's brilliant and you are a legend!

I too would be really interested to see what you can do to add a programme mix to RD to offer POV shooting. Would it ever be possible to dial in the direction and the size of the arc? I know you are very busy trying to sort out the problem with the compass issue but when you've won that battle - maybe there will be a v.5 version of your profile? Would look forward to that.

You've got my 100% support on the compass issue - I'm in Auckland New Zealand and the TBE and JHook issues are bad here.

havasuphoto said:
SJBrit said:
I am assured mine is coming with the return spring. We shall see....
Good luck.....mine said it in the Amazon ad for Power Hobby-but didn't.

Well, you were right: no spring in mine. Called Futaba and they are shipping one. But really - just toss one in the box, guys! If that cuts into your margin then don't bother wasting all that paper on the manual that I'm only going to read on my laptop anyway....

SJBrit said:
havasuphoto said:
SJBrit said:
I am assured mine is coming with the return spring. We shall see....
Good luck.....mine said it in the Amazon ad for Power Hobby-but didn't.

Well, you were right: no spring in mine. Called Futaba and they are shipping one. But really - just toss one in the box, guys! If that cuts into your margin then don't bother wasting all that paper on the manual that I'm only going to read on my laptop anyway....
Yea, haven't called them yet-been fighting via E-mail. They say; "sir, we don't import these into the US with springs". To which I replied with a copy of the Ad from Power Hobby's and copied the text that said it did come with a self-centering spring.
I then told Futaba to contact Power Hobby and figure it out....it's not my problem-send me the spring, the end.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z