Setting up the Futaba T8FGS (or 14SG) with the P2

Is that part #HSP00501 Gimbal Center Set
for the 8 or 14? or does it even matter?

@ianwood; tried your throttle profile this morning-works great. I hadn't intended on taking off using it-but old habits....I normally flip into the slower yaw rate, just after engine start up, and that also activated the 2nd throttle curve. It was stupid windy out, so I didn't even notice it. No surprises. However, on landing, I used the default throttle curve. As you know-the Phantoms tend to yo-yo when close to the ground with wind, and you have to time it just right with power, to get a smooth landing.

sar104 said:
bignick243 said:
My centering spring kit showed up today from Futaba! :p Hope to install it this weekend. Hopefully it is pretty easy to install. I also have a mini osdi and an RC Immersion 600mw transmitter for me goggles coming tomorrow. Just in time for the long weekend!

How long did that take to arrive? I emailed some time ago asking for the spring kit, but I haven't seen any sign of it so far.

I emailed them like 3 times, no reply, nothing came. I ended up just buying one online...

Kicerk52 said:
sar104 said:
bignick243 said:
My centering spring kit showed up today from Futaba! :p Hope to install it this weekend. Hopefully it is pretty easy to install. I also have a mini osdi and an RC Immersion 600mw transmitter for me goggles coming tomorrow. Just in time for the long weekend!

How long did that take to arrive? I emailed some time ago asking for the spring kit, but I haven't seen any sign of it so far.

I emailed them like 3 times, no reply, nothing came. I ended up just buying one online...

I took bignick243's advice and called. The conversation with John went exactly how he predicted - he asked me where I bought it, took my details, and said that they would send one out today - no charge.

I'm glad to see everything worked out. I just installed my spring kit and it was pretty easy. You definitely need a precision screw driver set, a couple of pairs of tweezers, and some patience. Small fingers and a head lamp worked well for me too.

I used this guys video a guide but the 14sg is a bit different. (I should have made a video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUmpVEemJnk

How SB switch is set up (I mean what settings in Tx menu)? Is it possible to make so that it just stops tilting when centered, and not moves back to source position? I think separate reset switch will be needed for that case.

Or better yet, it is possible to make a switch that slows down RS. So that when I set RS to new position it slowly tilts until it reaches it?

Haze said:
Update, I installed it and it seems to work, just had to figure out what was what after binding it. and a little calibration.

One thing i notice and it seems to be on both receivers futaba and stock, is if i throttle down to come down and land and it hold the stick to the bottem it will shut off the quad, now i know thats what we want to land but is there a saftey thing built in so it wont shut down in mid air? or do i have to becarefull not to hold down to long, I thought i had held down to come down from high above and not lost power? just a noob question....

Thanks for the update. I'll add the info to the first post. As for the left stick down, that is the shut down sequence to use, not CSC. Pretty sure it doesn't do it in mid-air.

poma said:
How SB switch is set up (I mean what settings in Tx menu)? Is it possible to make so that it just stops tilting when centered, and not moves back to source position? I think separate reset switch will be needed for that case.

Or better yet, it is possible to make a switch that slows down RS. So that when I set RS to new position it slowly tilts until it reaches it?

Neither of these options are possible given the way the Futaba works.

You changed your Avatar...that's just gonna confuse the hell out of me :lol:
My 8FG should arrive sometime next week!!!
Now-if I could just buy an aircraft to use with it, life would be great. Seem to have a problem with that.

Probably no chance that the 8FG also works on FHSSS too?? I have a T8J, but as you know-that doesn't do nearly what an 8FG-super will do.
Really looking forward to your "profiles". Love the throttle curve-that was the thing I have been looking for, for a long time. Works like a charm from t/o to landing.....thanks for all the work you have done, and continue to do with this thread!!!

Has anyone installed the Futaba SBS-01G telemetry sensor, or other means of getting GPS coordinates back to the radio?

Kelly

Got my T8FG(s) Today!!!
just played with it a bit, and noticed the right and left hand sliders are notched. That's not good....is there a way to make them smooth?
Also, I'd like to use the right-hand knob,to control the X1 gimbal tilt. I know Ianwood is busy fighting other battles-can someone walk me through the steps of making that change using his file, and the Futaba software?
Thanks

Cr8tive_leo said:
havasuphoto said:
Got my T8FG(s) Today!!!
just played with it a bit, and noticed the right and left hand sliders are notched. That's not good....is there a way to make them smooth?...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpaOrs5Hdl0
thanks-I actually already had that bookmarked on how to install the self-centering spring when I get it-and didn't notice the other part of the video.
I'd actually prefer to use the LH knob for gimbal tilt control......

Cr8tive_leo said:
havasuphoto said:
Got my T8FG(s) Today!!!
just played with it a bit, and noticed the right and left hand sliders are notched. That's not good....is there a way to make them smooth?...

That video doesn't work for many. The cover plate he describes is not on the T8 in most cases. You have to install a spring set you get from Futaba. Also, I found that bending the metal piece doesn't work since inserting it back into the transmitter bends it back so it still hits the detents. I just took mine off and saved it.

As far as changing the slider to the knob, that was described earlier.
LINKAGE > FUNCTION: change GEAR control from RS to RD.

ladykate said:
Cr8tive_leo said:
havasuphoto said:
Got my T8FG(s) Today!!!

That video doesn't work for many. The cover plate he describes is not on the T8 in most cases. You have to install a spring set you get from Futaba. Also, I found that bending the metal piece doesn't work since inserting it back into the transmitter bends it back so it still hits the detents. I just took mine off and saved it.

Cool thanks.
Yea-I heard from others about how his video was a bit wrong.....I'm not sure I will install the spring kit. I'm so used to flying without it....
So-you can just remove the phillips screw and the metal plate and put it back in?? That sounds more reasonable.

I think I may have a problem; I finally was able to get the info on the card loaded(that dam dial is just plain screwy)...when I go to the Servo page, right stick to the left is -91...should be 100.right stick right is -100, both should be 100.
This is with all switches in the up position.
also-how do I find the "timer" page-so i can set the timer to start at 10% throttle???
This darn "selection wheel" thingy is driving me nuts!!! The T8J is way easier than this!!
And-do I have to push the transmit-"yes" warning every time I turn it on? Or is that just because I don't have the P2 around to receive?

Thanks for any help?
P2 won't be here til Thursday.

ladykate said:
Cr8tive_leo said:
havasuphoto said:
Got my T8FG(s) Today!!!

yes if you want the slider to be smooth, open up the futaba radia (unscrew Back Plate) and the slider you want smoothed, just pull out of its spot and there is 1 single screw on it attached to a brass plate, you can either just take screw out and remove metal plate, not ratchet wll be left and middle notch will be gone, or just losen screw bend the end of the metal plate just a bit so it does nto ratchet and then screw back on but not tight so the middle point stays clear and smooth, it wont effect slider to do this.

yes if you want the slider to be smooth, open up the futaba radia (unscrew Back Plate) and the slider you want smoothed, just pull out of its spot and there is 1 single screw on it attached to a brass plate, you can either just take screw out and remove metal plate, not ratchet wll be left and middle notch will be gone, or just losen screw bend the end of the metal plate just a bit so it does nto ratchet and then screw back on but not tight so the middle point stays clear and smooth, it wont effect slider to do this.
Alright-I may look into this, thanks.

havasuphoto said:
I think I may have a problem; I finally was able to get the info on the card loaded(that dam dial is just plain screwy)...when I go to the Servo page, right stick to the left is -91...should be 100.right stick right is -100, both should be 100.
also-how do I find the "timer" page-so i can set the timer to start at 10% throttle???
This darn "selection wheel" thingy is driving me nuts!!! The T8J is way easier than this!!
And-do I have to push the transmit-"yes" warning every time I turn it on? Or is that just because I don't have the P2 around to receive?

Thanks for any help?

If we are talking about the 14SG then it has user stick calibration. Go to System > H/W set > Calibration to calibrate the stick servo outputs. That will get you back to 100 on all extents.

sar104 said:
havasuphoto said:

Thanks for any help?

If we are talking about the 14SG then it has user stick calibration. Go to System > H/W set > Calibration to calibrate the stick servo outputs. That will get you back to 100 on all extents.
No-it's the T8FGS

havasuphoto said:
sar104 said:
havasuphoto said:

Thanks for any help?

No-it's the T8FGS

Oh - then I'm not sure that it has a calibration function, which would be a problem. I had a similar issue on one axis of my 14SG after I installed the centering spring on the throttle (the small screw that secures the pot works loose and won't retighten - a known issue), and after I fixed it (glue) I also had -90 — 100, and as a result the Phantom Assistant was unable to calibrate the stick inputs correctly until I ran the stick calibration on the Futaba. You may find the same issue.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart