Setting up the Futaba T8FGS (or 14SG) with the P2

Xrover said:
I was under the impression that using the Futaba Radio with the stock P2 Receiver would give the same or better range?

It should. I think the comment was about getting better range with the stock RX using either the stock or Futaba TX due to the air antennas being optimized for the stock RX.

So If I install this profile on my Futaba 14sg and then Upgrade to the new version 4 software on the 14sg will it mess up my settings. i see in the new update they have a quadcopter icon for the 14sg and such just would like to know before i update.

golgotha said:
Good to know to expect very low distance range with a Futaba transmitter.

Wrong. Futaba transmitter with stock receiver giving roughly same 3km+ range as stock transmitter with stock receiver.

Wrong. Futaba transmitter with stock receiver giving roughly same 3km+ range as stock transmitter with stock receiver.

Then why are folks above attesting that they're getting under 1km with their Futaba transmitters? Are you saying that they replaced their stock receivers in their phantoms? (And why would they purposefully degrade their performance?)

golgotha said:

Then why are folks above attesting that they're getting under 1km with their Futaba transmitters? Are you saying that they replaced their stock receivers in their phantoms? (And why would they purposefully degrade their performance?)

Thats because the antennas of the futaba receiver are too short (designed for a plane actually) and their tips hardly even make it to the outside of the phantom. Problem is solved buying the extended 400mm futaba antennas. I am getting 2km (where video breaks up) with no problems! :cool:

Guys, newbie here trying to get my T8FGS up and running.
Might be a silly question, but the instructions say SD card with less than 2Gb.
Any workaround on this?
I can't find a SD with less than 8gb and the transmitter just doesn't recognise the SD card.

Tks for patience guys

Airosa said:
Any workaround on this?
I can't find a SD with less than 8gb and the transmitter just doesn't recognise the SD card.

Tks for patience guys

That's a real problem. The easiest solution I found was to use a microSD (plenty of those around in 2 GB) in an SD adaptor.

Airosa said:
Any workaround on this?

Tks for patience guys

Yep - microSD is the easiest to find locally - however, there are literally thousands of 2 gig SD/microSD cards for sale on eBay.

Oh... and if you do order the cards, buy several. I have lost the darn things a half dozen times. I think there is an old SD card ogre in my workshop.

ladykate said:
I think there is an old SD card ogre in my workshop.

c0a2505c-b9d5-405f-860a-9cb3f5e8855f.jpg

Re: Setting up the Futaba T8FGS with the P2

ianwood said:
mitchsden said:
Many thanks for sharing, great tutorial :)

Could I ask what Futaba receiver you installed ?

Receiver is the one that came with the 8FGS. If I recall correctly, it is the R6208SB. The receiver installation seems to be pretty much the same for all of them.

So If I install this profile on my Futaba 14sg and then Upgrade to the new version 4 software on the 14sg will it mess up my settings. i see in the new update they have a quadcopter icon for the 14sg and such just would like to know before i update. also if i dont want to switch out the stock receiver for the futabas , can i with this profile or is there anything i need to change out? im new and trying to learn.

Update, I installed it and it seems to work, just had to figure out what was what after binding it. and a little calibration.

One thing i notice and it seems to be on both receivers futaba and stock, is if i throttle down to come down and land and it hold the stick to the bottem it will shut off the quad, now i know thats what we want to land but is there a saftey thing built in so it wont shut down in mid air? or do i have to becarefull not to hold down to long, I thought i had held down to come down from high above and not lost power? just a noob question....

Re: Setting up the Futaba T8FGS with the P2

Haze said:
ianwood said:
mitchsden said:
Many thanks for sharing, great tutorial :)

Could I ask what Futaba receiver you installed ?

Receiver is the one that came with the 8FGS. If I recall correctly, it is the R6208SB. The receiver installation seems to be pretty much the same for all of them.

So If I install this profile on my Futaba 14sg and then Upgrade to the new version 4 software on the 14sg will it mess up my settings. i see in the new update they have a quadcopter icon for the 14sg and such just would like to know before i update. also if i dont want to switch out the stock receiver for the futabas , can i with this profile or is there anything i need to change out? im new and trying to learn.

Update, I installed it and it seems to work, just had to figure out what was what after binding it. and a little calibration.

One thing i notice and it seems to be on both receivers futaba and stock, is if i throttle down to come down and land and it hold the stick to the bottem it will shut off the quad, now i know thats what we want to land but is there a saftey thing built in so it wont shut down in mid air? or do i have to becarefull not to hold down to long, I thought i had held down to come down from high above and not lost power? just a noob question....

The motors won't stop until the FC detects no further descent for 3 seconds.

I got everything (Almost) to work great on the my new Futaba 8FGS. Thank you to the other members here who all helped me dial it in.

The one final issue i'm having is when I flip the switch to FS, the Phantom will NOT climb 60' or do any ascent before moving over to the location over Home Point. When I had it linked with the DJI Radio, it would do a climb before heading back. Now it just heads back with no climb at all.

Any ideas?

I put your throttle curve into my T8J, using my yaw cut switch-down is using your curve. I put in the exact numbers you had-but my curve looks a lot flatter through the middle than yours. Also-should I leave the "mix" on INH or ON...normal is INH.....
going to test this tomorrow, weather permitting-I'll be getting a T8FGS soon(bought use), so I figured I could try out the dual rate throttle for now.
already have dual rate for yaw-and use that all the time. Looking forward to loading your profile into my new radio when I get it, and maybe the only thing I might change is to turn off the yaw trim......don't see myself using that knob for that.....

My centering spring kit showed up today from Futaba! :p Hope to install it this weekend. Hopefully it is pretty easy to install. I also have a mini osdi and an RC Immersion 600mw transmitter for me goggles coming tomorrow. Just in time for the long weekend!

bignick243 said:
My centering spring kit showed up today from Futaba! :p Hope to install it this weekend. Hopefully it is pretty easy to install. I also have a mini osdi and an RC Immersion 600mw transmitter for me goggles coming tomorrow. Just in time for the long weekend!

How long did that take to arrive? I emailed some time ago asking for the spring kit, but I haven't seen any sign of it so far.

sar104 said:
bignick243 said:

How long did that take to arrive? I emailed some time ago asking for the spring kit, but I haven't seen any sign of it so far.

I believe I called either Monday or Tuesday. I couldn't believe how fast it was. Kinda seems like it's hit or miss with some people. It seems like quite a popular thing to do. I don't know why Futaba just doesn't include it with this radios or at least make it easy to order online from a dealer. People love options!

I would call them again. Although you'll probably talk to John. He seems kinda moody. Maybe it got lost in the mail. When I first called I talked to John and he told me to email futaba support. So I did and I got a reply back that they were not sending them out for free anymore but you could buy the kit for like 3 bucks and a couple of bucks for shipping. Not a big deal. I called back and got John again and asked if I could order it. He asked me where I bought my radio from and I told him I bought it from an ebay hobby store. He took my info and said he would send it out. But he didn't take my credit card info which I thought was weird.

Give them call 217-398-8970 option 2 Ask if you can order the part. Worst case you have to spend a few bucks. Best case they send it to you.

The part number is HSP00501 Gimbal Center Set

bignick243 said:
sar104 said:
bignick243 said:

I believe I called either Monday or Tuesday. I couldn't believe how fast it was. Kinda seems like it's hit or miss with some people. It seems like quite a popular thing to do. I don't know why Futaba just doesn't include it with this radios or at least make it easy to order online from a dealer. People love options!

I would call them again. Although you'll probably talk to John. He seems kinda moody. Maybe it got lost in the mail. When I first called I talked to John and he told me to email futaba support. So I did and I got a reply back that they were not sending them out for free anymore but you could buy the kit for like 3 bucks and a couple of bucks for shipping. Not a big deal. I called back and got John again and asked if I could order it. He asked me where I bought my radio from and I told him I bought it from an ebay hobby store. He took my info and said he would send it out. But he didn't take my credit card info which I thought was weird.

Give them call 217-398-8970 option 2 Ask if you can order the part. Worst case you have to spend a few bucks. Best case they send it to you.

The part number is HSP00501 Gimbal Center Set

Thanks for the information - I'll call them.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart