Setting up the Futaba T8FGS (or 14SG) with the P2

ladykate said:
Re:
I kinda like this idea! Gonna give it a try. You guys are to **** smart! :D

I think Ianwood covered this a few pages back. I implemented it based on that conversation. Works fine.

That was for the yaw trim. This is for the gimbal tilt trim.

ianwood said:
wkf94025 said:
You are correct, RD is ratcheted. What I was suggesting is similar functionality as LD, except applied to camera tilt. Turn RD a few clicks right and camera starts to tilt smoothly downward. Turn RD back to zero and tilt stops at its current setting. I find the sensitivity / ramp on LD for yaw to be ideal, and would use a similar range of motion on RD for camera tilt. Make sense?

Kelly

Ahhh, yes. OK. Same thing sort of. LINKAGE > FUNCTION, set GEAR TRIM to RD.

OK... I tried this just now and it doesn't work the same way as LD does for yaw. When you turn RD, the camera just tilts incrementally and stops. Kind of the same way it does when using the RS lever.

It's not going to work as you expect. The reason being is when you set the yaw channel to a number other than zero, you get a yaw movement until you put it back to the center point (0). With the gimbal trim, the numeric value you give it represents a fixed point that the gimbal travels to and then stops. In other words, the way the gimbal channel works on the Phantom is different than the yaw channel.

DesertFlyer53 said:
ladykate said:
Re:
I kinda like this idea! Gonna give it a try. You guys are to **** smart! :D

I think Ianwood covered this a few pages back. I implemented it based on that conversation. Works fine.

That was for the yaw trim. This is for the gimbal tilt trim.

Gimbal control too. Changes gimbal control to knob. It's back there a hundred posts or so. Did it. Works fine. Not a way to achieve constant rotation though.

LadyKate -- are you saying you use the RD volume knob for camera tilt and it works smoothly for you?

Others -- assuming you are using Ian's v4 model or some derivative, what is your best method for smooth small changes in camera tilt? Maybe the ratcheting on my 14SGH right side slider is worse than on others' radios. Click by click, it's too jumpy. Not even close to smooth. Curious as to best practices out there re camera tilt in Futaba land.

Kelly

wkf94025 said:
LadyKate -- are you saying you use the RD volume knob for camera tilt and it works smoothly for you?

Others -- assuming you are using Ian's v4 model or some derivative, what is your best method for smooth small changes in camera tilt? Maybe the ratcheting on my 14SGH right side slider is worse than on others' radios. Click by click, it's too jumpy. Not even close to smooth. Curious as to best practices out there re camera tilt in Futaba land.

Kelly

Yes. I'm using the knob for camera control. Unfortunately, single clicks are a little jumpy (just like with the sliders). Several clicks makes a smooth progression just like with the sliders. Might be a neat mod to replace the pot with one that doesn't have indents - but it might be a major operation to do that. I will have my 14sg apart next week (I'm on the road now) and will look at it then. Sometimes the detents are just an add-on gizmo on the pot shaft or base and can be defeated.

Please keep me posted on how open heart surgery on your radio goes...

Kelly

wkf94025 said:

Kelly
Okydoke. Will get to it by Wednesday.

Okay I'm starting at post #1 of this thread and working my way through.

Took me a while to get the v4 file copied over to my radio successfully. Man I am NOT liking the navigation/menu system on this Futaba T8FGS! The learning curve is up there considering I came from the days of analog 3-channel setups.

Thanks
U.M.

Uncle Meat said:

Took me a while to get the v4 file copied over to my radio successfully. Man I am NOT liking the navigation/menu system on this Futaba T8FGS! The learning curve is up there considering I came from the days of analog 3-channel setups.

Thanks
U.M.

The T8FGS does have a steep learning curve and the documentation is not easy but hopefully my instructions were clear enough to get you going. And once you get it set up and all figured out, it's pretty impressive what it can do.

ianwood said:
Uncle Meat said:

Thanks
U.M.

The T8FGS does have a steep learning curve and the documentation is not easy but hopefully my instructions were clear enough to get you going. And once you get it set up and all figured out, it's pretty impressive what it can do.

I appreciate your instructions and the save file ianwood! My whole problem was not understanding how to navigate through the T8FG's menu system and select the right commands to execute. Your tutorial assumes the user is familiar with operating the radio's menu system and I definitely was not having just pulled it out of the box and charged it up! **** owners manual is not very well written either.

Thanks again!

U.M.

Uncle Meat said:
ianwood said:
Uncle Meat said:

Thanks
U.M.

I appreciate your instructions and the save file ianwood! My whole problem was me not understanding how to navigate through the T8FG's menu system and select the right commands to execute. Your tutorial assumes the user is familiar with operating the radio's menu system and I definitely was not having just pulled it out of the box and charged it up! **** owners manual is not very well written either.

Do you know whether I can bind my Phantom v1.1.1 to this radio and use your v4 file with it too, or will it only work with the P2?

Thanks again!

U.M.

Got my spring in the mail. How hard is it to change out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

extrememc said:
Got my spring in the mail. How hard is it to change out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took me about an hour to install the throttle spring and to flatten out the ratcheting of the right side slider. When working on the throttle side, you have a mirror (or non-mirrored) example on the other stick. What wasn't obvious to me initially is that once you have the cover off, there are 3 screws holding the complete throttle stick assembly to the base frame of the radio. I found it easier to remove those 3 screws to then install the spring, tension screw, etc. The T8 videos online are only partially helpful.

On the right slider, there is a single screw holding a metal piece into the black plastic assembly. Take that metal piece off, and use needle nose to flatten the ridge a bit (that engages notches in the plastic) and also bend that whole end of the metal piece away from the ratchets a bit. Re-install and test before covering up. Mine is now a huge improvement over out-of-the-box behavior. Still enough tension/friction to keep it from moving on its own, but not enough to interfere with smooth camera tilt.

Sorry to not put up a crystal clear video on this. Kids are up and simply not an option this morning.

Kelly

Do you know whether I can bind my Phantom v1.1.1 to this radio and use your v4 file with it too, or will it only work with the P2?

Thanks again!

U.M.[/quote][/quote]

I have a Phantom v.1.2 and I just downloaded v.4 profile to my 8FGS radio. The E & T channels are reversed as is the gimbal tilt movement. Should I reverse the stick direction in the Naza Assistant or the Futaba profile and do I need to do a stick calibration once I've changed the direction?
I need a little help with reversing the gimbal tilt movement. Right now, when the RS is in the top position and SB switch is also in top position, the gimbal tilts down.
Also, I can't recall going through this long thread if there is a way to program a tilt top limit to avoid having the props in the shot. I am currently using DSLRPro's profile and they have programmed knob RD to do just that.

Thanks for any help.

andysydney said:
I have a Phantom v.1.2 and I just downloaded v.4 profile to my 8FGS radio. The E & T channels are reversed as is the gimbal tilt movement. Should I reverse the stick direction in the Naza Assistant or the Futaba profile and do I need to do a stick calibration once I've changed the direction?
I need a little help with reversing the gimbal tilt movement. Right now, when the RS is in the top position and SB switch is also in top position, the gimbal tilts down.
Also, I can't recall going through this long thread if there is a way to program a tilt top limit to avoid having the props in the shot. I am currently using DSLRPro's profile and they have programmed knob RD to do just that.

I would reverse the channels on the Phantom so that way you are consistent with the profile and can just apply the update as and when it happens. NOTE: I can't say for certain my channel settings a atypical but they seem to work for most people and I don't recall having to reverse anything on the Phantom. Unsure. But, I would just do the adjustment in the Phantom Assistant until it works the way it should.

The gimbal top limit is currently the default for the Zenmuse. I would suggest shooting with a medium FOV to limit the blade exposure as a better means of dealing with that issue. There will be times when you want to shoot straight forward. With wide FOV you will see props.

Ian,

I continue to fly and enjoy v4 on the 14SG. Thanks again for the many hours that went into that.

I am still stumped on optimal tilt strategy, and despite having modified the right side slider, it's tough to manually achieve the smoothness of the 0/45/90 autotilt lever. And since most of my tilt needs are in the 0 to 30 range, I was curious if any of these would work:
1) program left side slider to a narrower range of tilts, such as 0 to 30, or possibly less
2) program a different 3-posiiton switch (not with radio at the moment, so can't be specific) to auto-tilt in a narrower range
3) re-program the 3-position switch you programmed to a shallower range (0, 15, 30)

Thoughts?

Kelly

Thought I would share this if anyone doesn't want to do open heart surgery on their T8. Email Futaba about installing spring and this was the reply.

Please ship you transmitter to:

Hobby Services
3002 N Apollo Dr Suite 1
Champaign IL 61822

with a brief letter describing why you are sending it in. The labor rate is
$40.00 an hour ($20.00 minimum) plus $9.99 shipping. Once we receive it here it
is usually back out the door in 3-5 days.

Hi all

I bought a Futaba 14SG from Kings Lynn Model Shop in the UK. Was about to send of for a 'spring return kit', but though I should take the back off the 14SG to have a look. To my surprise all I had to do was remove 1.5" sq flat bit of plastic, by removing three screws and a ''metal clip' that produces the ratchet noise.

T14SG with R7008SB kit mode 2 UK bought.

I have looked through the manual and cannot find any information on this modification to the Tx.

Regards Rich

wkf94025 said:

Kelly

Other than disassembling all the circuitry (taking out the main board) I didn't see a way of getting to the potentiometers. So... didn't try it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT