satellites drop slightly when recording video - SOLVED

Smallman28 did this just plug straight into the pv2+'s board?,any pictures available.
I was looking at the Nazza v2 gps unit but the lite is a cheaper option and if it works happy days.
I have a few other things i want to try before buying a new external gps unit.

saltire said:
Smallman28 did this just plug straight into the pv2+'s board?,any pictures available.
I was looking at the Nazza v2 gps unit but the lite is a cheaper option and if it works happy days.

Couple of things to note.
I had assumed that this would plug into the EXP port on the flight controller and indeed it does but that doesn't work :)
It needs to just plug into the GPS socket on the main board in exactly the same way as the stock one does.
We removed the stock GPS unit obviously but left the standard shielding in place.
We still had to leave the existing compass in place and connected as even though the external GPS has a compass in it that seems to be ignored once it is plugged into the GPS socket on the main board and if you take off the stock compass the Phantom wont start up and function.
The Naza GPS has been fitted to the top of the shell.
The other issue is then having to make a hole somewhere for the cable to get inside,it's more a case of getting the plug in rather than the cable as the plug is quite chunky.
My mate made a hole in the top with a grommet in it for the cable to pass through.
The GPS plugs in and the chunky plug part of the lead is held in place by the grommet,it looks quite stock at first glance.
We did find some limitation in the stock flight controller firmware as well.
It wont let you alter the distances for the GPS in relation to the flight controller,it is set at 0,0,0 in each axis and even though you can change the settings when you power off the quad and turn it back on the setting is lost.
I was a bit worried as the GPS unit is now 15-16cm above the flight controller but it doesn't seem to be effecting how it flies at all.
It was very windy today,probably too windy,but it held it's position quite well whilst being buffeted.
I will get a picture at some point.

RedBaron said:
Mori55 said:
How much will these be ? And what is it made of ?

These are made of adhesive foil with a protective coating on the front to help reduce the possibility of shorts. They have been pre-cut with room for the air vents. Will they work for everyone? I cannot answer that question, but they have definitely worked for me and I have heard of many people that have had this type of mod work for them. For $14.95 with free shipping, not a bad deal.

RB

Where can I buy this??

JWarren said:
I'd guess if you give it enough time it will bounce back up there. Another forum member (sorry, forgot who) was nice enough to pass along this link showing about how many GPS satellites you should be able to expect.

http://satpredictor.navcomtech.com/

I've generally take off with 8 but have been routinely flying with 11 or 12. 12 is my top number I believe.

Regards<
J.
I am a newby ph v + flyer with only two flight with my new bird. During my second flight I also had a drop in number of connected satelite (8 -> 5) that might have been related with starting recording. Hopely this forum fnd out how we can prevent this.
Bij the way, does anyone now why the firmware is programmed to switch from gsm to att mode with a satelite drop under 6? In my view a lower accuracy of gps is less disturbing than flying in att mode with quite some wind.
smokiespliff said:
Hi, I've looked around the forums but couldn't see this answered.

I noticed yesterday that when I take off with 7/8 satellites and fly about for awhile everything is good, but as soon as I hit record video the number of satellites drops by about 2, so I get 5/6 instead of 7/8. Ofc when it only has 5 it starts to drift in the wind, in my case out towards the sea! Is this a known thing that I just haven't noticed until yesterday?

Thanks!

Mori55 said:
Camera interference with gps ? Was a thread on this awhile ago.

RPA said:
smokiespliff said:
Hi, I've looked around the forums but couldn't see this answered.

I noticed yesterday that when I take off with 7/8 satellites and fly about for awhile everything is good, but as soon as I hit record video the number of satellites drops by about 2, so I get 5/6 instead of 7/8. Ofc when it only has 5 it starts to drift in the wind, in my case out towards the sea! Is this a known thing that I just haven't noticed until yesterday?

Thanks!

I have similar suspicions after experiencing a similar drop.

When I turn it on and sit it on the ground I get a pretty good number of satellites. As soon as I start recording and power it up they drop right off. I haven't tested properly whether its setting record or power up the motors that's causing it because I usually just want to get on an fly but I will test it properly one day.

RPA said:
Mori55 said:
Camera interference with gps ? Was a thread on this awhile ago.

I've been through 40 pages of search and I can't find it. If anyone has it in their subscriptions, could you post a link please.

Thanks

Mark

aartsf is you have only had 2 x flights with your new phantom take it back and either get a refund or get another unit .Why after paying good money should you accept a faulty product.

I am another testament to this mod working

amazing lock every time, even indoors, and i dont lose GPS while in flight, which is the most important thing

Re: Απ: satellites drop slightly when recording video - SOLV

lakislambrianides said:
eyecon82 said:
I am another testament to this mod working

amazing lock every time, even indoors, and i dont lose GPS while in flight, which is the most important thing
What exactly do ??
the aluminum foil mod

Fellow forum members,
Firstly, this threat is marked as SOLVED while about 1/4 of the reports on the alu mod or cp mod posts report no succes. In my opiniun whe can't conclude that the issue is realy resolved.
Secondly, as satelite countdrop while starting video seems the common denominato in the issue, I wonder whether we are on the right track trying to shield of the gps unit. Would it not be more logical to shield of the camara/gimbal unit by putting alu or copper static isulation between the bottom of the bird and the camara/gimbal unit? Has anyone tried this?
Thirtly, as the video recording is processsed by the wifi, would it be possible that the problem might orginate from interferance from the wifi unit and we should thinking about shielding that unit.
Thanks in advanve for any repons.
FA

aartsf said:
Fellow forum members,
Firstly, this threat is marked as SOLVED while about 1/4 of the reports on the alu mod or cp mod posts report no succes. In my opiniun whe can't conclude that the issue is realy resolved.
Secondly, as satelite countdrop while starting video seems the common denominato in the issue, I wonder whether we are on the right track trying to shield of the gps unit. Would it not be more logical to shield of the camara/gimbal unit by putting alu or copper static isulation between the bottom of the bird and the camara/gimbal unit? Has anyone tried this?
Thirtly, as the video recording is processsed by the wifi, would it be possible that the problem might orginate from interferance from the wifi unit and we should thinking about shielding that unit.
FA

It is solved for my mate,we fitted a Naza GPS unit externally and it works fine :)
I think the common issue is a firmware update.
My mates worked fine right up until he installed the newest firmware.
It would be interesting to find out if this is the culprit.
Would it be possible for a firmware update to increase the output power of something ?
I even have video of him using his when he first got it and the lights don't indicate a loss of GPS lock at any point,even when he was recording.

I had terrible GPS interference on my naza 450. I shielded the puck etc. after a firmware update it was much better.

aartsf said:
Fellow forum members,
FA
Some people have had success with puting sheilding between the camera and the main body i have tried loads of different things all which have been done on here apart from me fitting a ferrite clamp round one of the camera cables .
I agree with your opinion regarding whats going on i just wish everybody who has had issues would send DJI an e mail and complain and then they might address the issue .
I have no drop out issues what so ever perfect gps untill i start recording =camera , wi-fi issue Not Gps it just so happens that some are worse than others .
In my case also the higher resolution i use the worse it gets so its a frequency issue on my pv2+.
The problem is NOT Solved i am sorry to say.

saltire said:

Forgot about this.
Not much to see,the plug goes through the shell and goes into the standard GPS board.
Sorry it got rotated.

I have tried **** near everything to fix this issue. I have spent probably 50 bucks on foil, foil tape, and copper tape. I have probably done and redone the mod about 15 times, and the problem has never fully been fixed. Once I had it working great: 9 sattelites, no drop when recording, but I had neglected to put insulation on the foil and I was worried about a short so I opened it back up, put in some insulating tape over the foil tape, and that reborked it all over again.

The fact that I get varied results each time I try makes me think it can be fixed. I just can't find the sweet spot.

So I'm at my wits end. Actually about ready to sell the thing and cut my losses.

AsiaFlyer said:
Grrr ... it seems to have made mine worse at locking onto sats...
That was my experience too.
Then I made sure I had foil around the GPS cable and it was good (better than stock).

SO.. perhaps it has more to do with GPS cable shielding.

AsiaFlyer said:
... now I cant get one of the hex screws out, it just turns in it's hole :(
That means that the "nut" into which it goes has come loose. You should be able to remove the top shell without that screw out. You'll see the nut on the other side of the screw when you do. Just hold it with some pliers and remove the screw. Then use some superglue to set the nut back in to the hole where it goes. Make sure you get it seated all the way down. Make sure there's no debris in the hole that prevents this.

aartsf said:
Fellow forum members,
FA

mine really solved, check page 39.

thanks

I bet it was the copper above the camera that fixed it as thats where the rf is coming from .

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18