satellites drop slightly when recording video - SOLVED

Re: Απ: satellites drop slightly when recording video - SOLV

lakislambrianides said:
saltire said:
Well done Dji know there are problems as this was their reply on the Dji website
Sorry for the inconvenience.
It is suggested to ask for dealer and send it back for maintenance to our repair center if you still can not fix it.
Here is our support center info: http://www.dji.com/support
pls contact your dealer first if you have one and ask them help arrange the repair service for you.
You have got to love the quote * if you still can not fix it*
Yes but if somebody fix it alone lose guarantee. ..is that true?
Guarantee whats that ? :D Oh yes thats when things dont work and the company is ment to fix it.

saltire said:
smallman28 said:
I took the GPS puck off my F450 and plugged it into my mates Phantom,worked perfectly,almost an instant lock and no sats lost.
Looks like mounting the GPS unit outside is the best way to go.
As it stands on the stock one the wire is too short to do that easily,so he has ordered a GPS puck off a Naza lite system.
Hopefully by the weekend we will have found a slightly expensive fix :)
What model of Phantom did you try the gps unit into ?

My mates 2 Vision Plus,the one with the classic sat dropout when recording.

saltire said:
Well done Dji know there are problems as this was their reply on the Dji website
Sorry for the inconvenience.
It is suggested to ask for dealer and send it back for maintenance to our repair center if you still can not fix it.
Here is our support center info: http://www.dji.com/support
pls contact your dealer first if you have one and ask them help arrange the repair service for you.
You have got to love the quote * if you still can not fix it*
Just be careful what service repair center you decide upon sending it in to for the repair. I sent my p2v+ into the Miami Florida center and they destroyed my model. Sent in for warranty for wifi tx module with no other concerns and received it back not being able to lock onto more than (5) satellites. Also, found most of the plastic hold down sleeves that the setscrews thread into broken. Now, I can't safely attach the upper & lower hull halves together.
I have a complaint filed with dji (LA), and hope they will look into the matter. I had certainly expected much more from an authorized repair center, but I found they (repair center) wouldn't return my calls, or respond to my e-mails. :x

Just move the GPS cable under the protection in the top housing, just leaving about 1 inch in length to go to the connector.... Losing sats is caused by interference from tx module to unprotected gps cable as per factory installation...
Also according to DJI will not void warranty as it is not a modification..

InspiredDead said:
Just move the GPS cable under the protection in the top housing, just leaving about 1 inch in length to go to the connector.... Losing sats is caused by interference from tx module to unprotected gps cable as per factory installation...

Problem is people have done that with various levels of success.
Did it on my mates Phantom and it made no difference.

On Dji own web forum they admit there are issues with PV2+ and ask people to send your phantom to a dealer.
I phoned my dealer and he has not got a clue how to fix it and recons on 6 weeks away for repairs.

smallman28 said:
InspiredDead said:

Problem is people have done that with various levels of success.
Did it on my mates Phantom and it made no difference.

Moving the GPS cable in conjunction with a foil shield over everything down to the middle of the arms makes a difference of from 3/4 satellites in the house to 6/8 satellites by adding the foil shield.

My shield looks like this...

RB

Attachments

26.8 KB · Views: 570
I am shocked anyone can get satellites in their house. I get zero satellites on my **** porch.

That's a great shield design RedBaron; I'm assuming the "coming soon" in your sig is referencing the plans/outline for that one?

I designed these in AutoCad and have cut out about 50 on my electronic cutter. They are self-adhesive with a protective front coating to help reduce the possibility of shorting out anything on the P2V+. I am putting together a short video on removing the cover of the Phantom, moving the cable and installing the shield. I showed my wife this evening how I went from 4/5 satellites to a strong 7 with a flicker now and then on 8 in the house by the window. She was definitely impressed. :)

Given the range of results from this mod. how can you be sure that it will work (for everyone)?

THIS ONE REALLY SOLVED

below is my latest mods after several mods done using allumunium foil for cooking and tape, great gps result, but when start recording the gps sat drop to under 6 sat.
and...
Now I'm using EMI COPPER SHIELD TAPE, about US$10 got it from http://www.twojah.com/parts-and-accessories

ok. the result? got satlock less than 3 minutes, and NO gps grop when recording video :) AWESOME

image.jpg

the clue for the copper shield under the battery got from http://youtu.be/1hKcUcZPWww

Ackbar, out of curiosity, do you shield the bottom of the copper with anything insulating? I ask because my mods only seem to work when I *don't* insulate the tape.

I did the foil mod today .... made a noticeable difference!
Took a long time in our yard to get 3-4 locks (15 mins was common) and I would never see 6+. After mod I was getting 7-8 in less than 5 mins. Went to an open field and got 11 right away and never a dropped a lock when video was on.

Very pleased!

Mori55 said:
How much will these be ? And what is it made of ?

These are made of adhesive foil with a protective coating on the front to help reduce the possibility of shorts. They have been pre-cut with room for the air vents. Will they work for everyone? I cannot answer that question, but they have definitely worked for me and I have heard of many people that have had this type of mod work for them. For $14.95 with free shipping, not a bad deal.

RB

Attachments

• shield for web.jpg
    shield for web.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 496
Yeti22 said:
Ackbar, out of curiosity, do you shield the bottom of the copper with anything insulating? I ask because my mods only seem to work when I *don't* insulate the tape.

I only add the EMI copper shield tape, thats it :) no remove anything from the bird :)

RedBaron said:
Mori55 said:
How much will these be ? And what is it made of ?

These are made of adhesive foil with a protective coating on the front to help reduce the possibility of shorts. They have been pre-cut with room for the air vents. Will they work for everyone? I cannot answer that question, but they have definitely worked for me and I have heard of many people that have had this type of mod work for them. For $14.95 with free shipping, not a bad deal.

RB

:D nice website, well done RedBaron!

Well,more testing today.
We went back to the same spot where we had had tested before,this time with the Naza Lite external GPS unit.
Success!
We saw 11 sats at the most but it was normally flicking between 9 and 10,all whilst recording.
It has proved an expensive "fix" at £70 but he is happy it is working for him.
Not once did he slip into ATTI due to loss of GPS and it found it's home point within 30secs when we set up.
I should say we tried numerous combination of tape etc and none of them worked for us,the sat count did go up but then would drop again whilst recording.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18