satellites drop slightly when recording video - SOLVED

darren0405 said:
just done the foil mod this morning and found it made it worse i normally get9-10 satellites on the beach where i live but drop down to 6-7 when recording so i followed the instructions and returned to the beach and low and behold 6-7 satellites no more ,the only thing i didn't do was to foil the cable.
and when i pushed the clip back in it didn't click in just pushed in, I tried a few times is this right??

Before you rip out the mod, what is your K-Index this morning. Also there is this site that tells you how many sats are available.

http://satpredictor.navcomtech.com/

Oh, and whatever clip you are referring to, re-seat it. good luck

Wedeliver's comment about K-Index is worth checking out. DBS turned me on to a cool app to report K-Index values in your area.
----------------------------------------------------------

If internal noise, then there could be more to this GPS noise issue. The foil is a good blind approach to attempt a solution/fix.

I took apart my P2V+ for the first time yesterday to add the Foil Mod.
(and, replaced my broken camera-gimbal with a new one. expensive. ouch!)

From an electrical engineering perspective; whew! There are all kinds of possible noise sources going on !

Three things that visually stick out:

• 1) The high speed video digital signals in the splitted ribbon cables coming from the camera-gimbal system. See Note
    2) The MMCX RF connector area on the WiFi Module.
    3) The 5.8ghz RC receiver module (2.4ghz on the non-vision machines). (far less chance this one is an issue)

Note: Item 1 above: Notice on P2V+ machines the power filter module screwed down to the primary board (it obscures the 5.8gHz RC receiver circuit board.
That indicates an after thought on DJI's part about noise issues.

Of course who knows what kind of emissions are generated by the NAZA control module.
All of the above obviously directly below the GPS antenna-receiver system.

* Perhaps too, noise is finding its way into the 4-wire GPS cable and then on to the GPS receiver circuit.

Attachments

• P2V+InternalComponents.jpg
    P2V+InternalComponents.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 385
OK I tested it :

the mod with :
(the turned cable and aluminium foil all over the GPS and the cable)

VS

the mod with :
(the turned cable with aluminium foil on only the cable)

http://youtu.be/yIY4WCfZUoE

ircphoenix said:
I can only assume foreground was entire upper half covered and background was cable only.

Thats what I told in the text on you tube ;)

darren0405 said:
so what was better can't really make out in video
I think the one with the aluminium also on the GPS is a little bit better. ;)
The temparature was equal on top :geek:

Mori55 said:
Where inside or outside when you did this ?
Outside in my backyard on a table next near my house.
If you mean that.

First post guys, and I have about 10 line of sight flights under my belt.

I had a lot of problems with dropping to 5 satellites mid flight with clear skies, unobstructed views, while filming. Got the yellow blinking lights for ATTI and the drifting with the wind. I was a bit surprised given the incredible weather and lack of trees.

I just did the mod and I have 6 satellites inside my house! Outside I get 11 satellites with a pretty obstructed view. Too many trees to fly line of site or do anything but hover. Oops - just went up to 8 inside sitting on my table not near any windows.

Wow - great mod! I used the Aluminum HVAC tape covered with clear packing tape. I also shielded the GPS ribbon very carefully.

Does this mean I can fly inside my house now? (just kidding)

This post was my main reason for joining and I completed the mod yesterday and WOW did it work. I simply put wire under existing dji copper shield and then lined the rest of the shell with HVAC aluminum tape. Simple and easy. went from 6-8 sats and 3-4 when recording now 10-12 and 8-10 when recording. Thank everyone!!!

Beacon121 said:
This post was my main reason for joining and I completed the mod yesterday and WOW did it work. I simply put wire under existing dji copper shield and then lined the rest of the shell with HVAC aluminum tape. Simple and easy. went from 6-8 sats and 3-4 when recording now 10-12 and 8-10 when recording. Thank everyone!!!

One happy family on this forum :mrgreen:
:lol:

Sorry for the dumb questions- this will be my first mod!

I have the p2v+

So, this mod seems pretty permanent if folks are using aluminum tape? Is this "tape" not sticky ?

Lastly, I'm trying to make sure I understand how you are insulating the aluminum tape with the packing tape. Are you simply affixing the packing tape over the top of the aluminum tape?

Lowepg said:
So, this mod seems pretty permanent if folks are using aluminum tape? Is this "tape" not sticky ?

Lastly, I'm trying to make sure I understand how you are nauseating the aluminum tape with the packing tape. Are you simply affixing the packing tape over the top of the aluminum tape?

The tape is sticky. And it's meant to be a pretty permanent fix. Since the problem isn't going to STOP existing short of a DJI hardware upgrade, the sticky tape is the solution. If you need to take it off though, it is just tape, so you can peel it off. Won't mess up the stock shielding from being stuck to it.

And yes. Simply affixing packing tape to the aluminum tape... so that there's a layer between the HVAC tape and the other components on the main board.

Lowepg said:

I have the p2v+

Lastly, I'm trying to make sure I understand how you are nauseating the aluminum tape with the packing tape. Are you simply affixing the packing tape over the top of the aluminum tape?

Hi, I saw your post and the tape I used is sticky on one side and look like aluminum foil on the other side. I think there are pictures on past pages in this thread.

But what really got my attention to your post was the use "how you are nauseating the aluminum tape" I am not sure how nauseating is being used here. Since I do get a little sick if I do the compass dance and turn around, sometimes I almost fall down, and I guess if I fly high over my head and I am looking straight up I might get a little nauseated. Otherwise, not sure what you mean.

mb466 said:
First post guys, and I have about 10 line of sight flights under my belt.

I had a lot of problems with dropping to 5 satellites mid flight with clear skies, unobstructed views, while filming. Got the yellow blinking lights for ATTI and the drifting with the wind. I was a bit surprised given the incredible weather and lack of trees.

I just did the mod and I have 6 satellites inside my house! Outside I get 11 satellites with a pretty obstructed view. Too many trees to fly line of site or do anything but hover. Oops - just went up to 8 inside sitting on my table not near any windows.

Wow - great mod! I used the Aluminum HVAC tape covered with clear packing tape. I also shielded the GPS ribbon very carefully.

Does this mean I can fly inside my house now? (just kidding)

No kidding, you can fly in your house, just not in GPS mode. Good idea to have prop guards on since no vrs inside. I think it is a great way to practice manual flying.

It might be a good idea to start a thread on this subject to see what other folks experiences are when flying inside. One of us should consider doing it. I have flown inside twice for a couple minutes, just practiced hovering and it seemed to work wonderfully.

Just don't have any loose, light objects around. I took mine to work to play with it outside one day, and I was talked into flying it inside in one of the large conference rooms. 30 seconds later and there were papers and napkins all over the room. LoL

Wedeliver said:
Lowepg said:

I have the p2v+

Hi, I saw your post and the tape I used is sticky on one side and look like aluminum foil on the other side. I think there are pictures on past pages in this thread.

But what really got my attention to your post was the use "how you are nauseating the aluminum tape" I am not sure how nauseating is being used here. Since I do get a little sick if I do the compass dance and turn around, sometimes I almost fall down, and I guess if I fly high over my head and I am looking straight up I might get a little nauseated. Otherwise, not sure what you mean.

Lol.... I have no idea what I was typing there! I can only assume is was "autocorrect gone wild" and I was trying to type insulter or something....

:)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT