satellites drop slightly when recording video - SOLVED

Im not looking to rain on parades and great work from everyone, but does the extra tin foil affect flight control range?? especially if controlling from above the drone ???( not a common scenario but i do it from 80+ feet above sometimes ( not directly above but like 30 - 40 degrees down below me ) , great tool for checking on livestock down the valley from the doorstep ) i tend to not rely on GPS but it is nice to know if i get dissorientated and i let go of the sticks she stops moving. i would like to do the mod to improve sat lock just in case, but wouldn't want to comprise my range in the process when the sat lock hasn't been a problem for me because i don't tend record much stuff, especially not out of sight or even much distance away.

I think this is going to be my first upgrade as today I thought my phantom was doomed to enter the harbour! I was happily taking some video when next thing I know my phantom is off at great speed towards to water! A quick moment of panic thinking of a flyaway and then a check on the ap indicated complete loss of satellites!

Managed to stay calm and bring her back above me where GPS lock came back and stabilised it again... Quick wipe of the brow and heart rate back to a normal rate, off to strewfix to get some alu tape and some parcel tape I go...!

Thank god for OSD as I would sure have lost it otherwise!

Thanks, Chris
Fareham, UK...

In attempting this mod, did anyone besides me have problems with the 4 small phillips screws on the outermost end of the arms?

My screwdrivers are either too big or too small.......

Is there an actual driver DJI recommends?

The rest seem to be the standard hex head that DJI uses everywhere BUT there!

Thanx

rgsinsc said:
In attempting this mod, did anyone besides me have problems with the 4 small phillips screws on the outermost end of the arms?

Thanx
Same as cahutch here = no problems at all !

Only thing I thought of after I reassembled the bird was that I may/should have used some Locktite to secure the screws (there was some on the screws)... Will get some next time I go to the shop.

rgsinsc said:

Thanx

Yep , I had the same problem. I thought I almost messed up the screw-head . Took it to a nearby electronics repair store and they removed it for me for free!

Don't over tighten the screws - I did!

The plastic is crumbly and week. I started with the four innermost hex screws and before I knew it the little bit of flex / movement had cause all four to pull through. I drilled a hole through each of the legs and put on zip straps. Effective but not as pretty. Should have temporarily taped all four wings together first. The old lock tight gives a false tightening resistance.

I've read through the posts and see that the mod works great. I am going to go ahead and order the relevant stuff. I would appreciate it if someone could suggest/advise/proof read what I plan to order.

1) Alutape (aluminum foil that sticks basically)
2) Insulating tape (please suggest , ebay/amazon links SUPER helpful)

Installation is same as in video ,right? Don't cover the vents?

andersonpaac said:
I've read through the posts and see that the mod works great. I am going to go ahead and order the relevant stuff. I would appreciate it if someone could suggest/advise/proof read what I plan to order.

Yep, that's it, choose some packaging tape for the insulation, the brown or transparent style that's very light (better not to add too much weight). No need for Amazon, you'll find both tapes in any hardware store ;)

And yes, be careful NOT to cover the vents !

Mori55 said:
I read not to use loctite as it makes the plastic crack. This was on the pv1 forum.

Ah, ok, thanks for the info ! :)

Still, there was some blue locktite traces on the screws, maybe only on the four that are closest to the center, those screwed in the metal parts on the bottom of the bird. Maybe some fresh locktite could be useful to secure these four screws ?

Helveticus said:
andersonpaac said:

Yep, that's it, choose some packaging tape for the insulation, the brown or transparent style that's very light (better not to add too much weight). No need for Amazon, you'll find both tapes in any hardware store ;)

And yes, be careful NOT to cover the vents !

Mori55 said:
I read not to use loctite as it makes the plastic crack. This was on the pv1 forum.

Ah, ok, thanks for the info ! :)

Still, there was some blue locktite traces on the screws, maybe only on the four that are closest to the center, those screwed in the metal parts on the bottom of the bird. Maybe some fresh locktite could be useful to secure these four screws ?
The transparent is the regular cellophane tape? Would that work too?

I'm not sure what product they use, as some forms of Loctite or other products are corrosive to plastics. This I know of from experience.

Yes, sure, regular transparent "office tape" will do it too. it's there just to make sure there isn't a short between the aluminum tape and the rest of the guts of the bird :)

Cocoa Beach Kiter said:
I'm not sure what product they use, as some forms of Loctite or other products are corrosive to plastics. This I know of from experience.
Ah, that's new to me and good to know, thanks !

so, this mod is creating heat issue? or not so much an issue yet? and aluminum tape trumps copper in this case? is that right? because I live in US suberbia full of things that causes GPS issues and i would like to get this done so i don't have to see my PV+ going back to China ><

Onezerosix141 said:
so, this mod is creating heat issue? or not so much an issue yet? and aluminum tape trumps copper in this case? is that right? because I live in US suberbia full of things that causes GPS issues and i would like to get this done so i don't have to see my PV+ going back to China ><

I can say that after I did mine it got a lot hotter on top after flights. And with all the wifi chip issues heat is not something we need to add to the problem. I can see after a few flights this may cause a wifi chip overheat and then your screwed.
Took mine back out as I really never seen a lot of difference anyway.
I get 7-8 all the time 10-12 after take off
I do get a 1 sat drop when recording video, but I still had that even after the foil tape.

I took delivery on a new Phantom V2+ Thursday to replace one that DJI decided to have issues.

This particular unit seems to have a hard time getting GPS and toggles between 4-6 satellites and takes 5 minutes to get that. I usually hover at about 15' trying to get 6 and wait for lock.

The problem is around my land I often lose GPS and end up in ATTI. Record video pretty much guarantees that. In all fairness our acreage sits in a valley.

I called DJI and their only suggestion was the replace it. They had me do a calibration which at the time seemed to help and it got me to 6. That or it was just the extra time while I did the calibration. Basically they told me it was logged and to go fly it and see how it did.

As it turned out the calibration did not help so today I ran to my local big box store and grabbed some aluminum tape.

WOW ! 7 satellites on the ground in quick order and jumped to 9 as soon as I lifted off and then to 12.

I really think its more the exposed cable than anything. If I had it to do over I would have just taped the cable down and tried that.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor