Samsung S5 with no paid service? Will it work?

Reaction score
I am thinking of getting a used Samsung S5 refurb just for flying.
I didn't intend on subscribing to a carrier.
My question is will this work fine with the Phantom P3P as my main screen and controller?
Or does it need a subscription for GPS or any other function related to using as a flight-only screen with controller?

Thanks!

It should work but will not get you maps on the site. You will have to cache the maps well in advance or tether your phone at site with another. Alternately, you can plug your phone SIM card temporarily into this phone to get internet at site.

Also, I'm not sure if wifi works without a sim card. Anyone know? Anyway, if the wifi doesn't work with out a subscription service or sim card, the DJI GO App will not be able to update the firmware for the Remote controller. Also, the maps won't cache without wifi or being tethered as alokbhargava said above. So, I'm guessing the two main issue's would be having wifi or being able to tether it so you can update and cache maps. Good luck.

Thanks for a quick response. I will have wifi before I go out and fly, so I could cache the maps. My current phone is an iphone so the sim card likely won't work, also my iphone is with sprint and the native carrier for the S5 is verizon.

Are there directions on how to cache the maps somewhere you could point me to?

Thanks,
Mitch

P.S. For those using an iPad or a tablet, I assume they must be subscription based as well. So a standard wifi ipad mini wouldn't do the job since it doesn't have the carrier radio inside. Correct?

Well, you said you would use your S5 for the monitor for your controller. If so, the DJI GO app will be on the S5. So, you have to have wifi working on the S5 in order for the DJI GO app to update and to cache maps.

Concerning how to cache maps, you have to use the map on your DJI Go screen in satellite mode (with your wifi active or your S5 tethered) and go to the area on the satellite map and find the place you will be flying. Once you pull up those maps the S5 will automatically cache the maps and will then be available when you are flying in that area if your cache memory hasn't been deleted. When in the satellite area map, make sure you move the map around the whole area you want to fly that way the whole area will be in cache memory. Hope this made sense.

I'm actually upgraded a few months ago from a Samsung Note 3 to an iPhone 6s Plus. Since I wasn't using my Note 3 for anything, I decided to use it for flying only. Like you, my Note 3 does NOT have cell service. I just connect to wifi at home in order to do all the software/firmware upgrades and everything has been fine. I haven't tried caching any maps yet so I just connect to my phone hotspot at the location to get the map of the area while I'm flying. Hope that helps.

Yeah, Mitch its the exact setup i use. I have an i-phone for phone service, and I use a galaxy S5 for flying daily! It doesnt drop the app like my iphone does and its not bothered by the cold. Just cache the maps and hotspot it if you want your flight logs on yer iphone.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl