Safety when launching - metal roof.

Reaction score
Guys, I would appreciate a bit of advice.

I was asked to survey and photograph some sections of inaccessible stonework on quite a well known Scottish castle. I was more than happy to do so, seeing it as a good opportunity to promote a more positive aspect of our hobby. The photographs and video I took were crystal clear and the guy I am dealing with was just blown away by the detail, revealing features that he and the owners were completely unaware of, like the remains of metal and wooden fittings on turrets and cornices that would suggest there was some sort of figurine or feature that has now been lost. There was also a lot of evident erosion, which they were particularly interested in. Most of the facings and cornices are sandstone.

I launched and flew from ground level, which made it quite difficult to fly over and survey certain parts of the building safely as I kept losing sight of the Phantom. Given the excellent results, they are very keen for me to return and survey the rest of the building, which I can do much more easily from a roof area above. The only problem is, the launch area on the roof - a completely flat area - is lined with lead!

My question is, given the requirement to avoid any large, metallic surface like a car roof when launching the Phantom, would it be safe for me to hand launch whilst standing on an area that was surfaced completely with lead?

Just to keep things completely transparent, no money is changing hands; I am undertaking this work purely as a personal favour to the owner.

Taking off above lead should be ok as it is a non-ferrous metal. But you should calibrate your compass on the ground before you go up there.

Hand launching to get above the metal is a good idea.

Okay, Guys, thanks for the replies and suggestions. Weather allowing, I should be able to complete this exercise by the weekend.

You could take off from the ground after getting on the roof.
Good reply i have done this @ my home went up a ladder to my roof and started the p2 which was on the ground below .
Grey fox where are you in the Highlands ? i live in Elgin just out of interest do you know a lad called Kevin Gilmour he works with me and lives on a small estate in you neck oh the woods.

Good reply i have done this @ my home went up a ladder to my roof and started the p2 which was on the ground below .
Grey fox where are you in the Highlands ? i live in Elgin just out of interest do you know a lad called Kevin Gilmour he works with me and lives on a small estate in you neck oh the woods.

Saltire, I'm sorry I missed this. But as you now know, we eventually caught up with each other elsewhere.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl