Sad news

I have a fear of props breaking and flying off into my face, projectile style.
Stupid propellaphobia.

Worse than trypophobia (don't look up this one if you get squeamish easily...yuk!!)

Poor child. Maybe hand out protective eyewear if flying around others?

So would better genetics.......

I would venture a wild *** guess that this guy is not the only one who's flown with kids nearby.
I might go one further and venture a guess that most people who fly these have at one time, flown it with a child near by.
(I know, a lot of guessing).
A few times I've been up in the air and had people gather around before I could land. I asked them to stay back but I couldn't force them.
(I landed a bit away and walked over to the P3). But still, easily within striking distance.

I mean, you could be right....but you rarely see a tragedy coming. Even if the circumstances were right for it.
This guy will bear the burden of what he did for his entire lifetime. The child even more so.

Sad. Be careful folks.

Statistics or guessed numbers of people flying near kids has nothing to do with how safe or usafe the inherent action is. I do however concede he isn't likely the only one to do it.

Accidents can happen but that one can't happen if he doesn't fly near the kid.
There is a sane reason the flightline is restricted for larger manned a/c and why props are stopped before boarding/unboarding.
Absolutely no reason to partially blind a child for life because he's too damned stupid to have any cerebral activity between his ears and quality DNA in his genes.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
The range on the Phantom is several miles....technically, a child could be injured similarly from quite a distance. Less likely of course but stranger things have happened.
What happened to this child is tragic, but not very common.
The FAA even acknowledges that children will be involved in this hobby stating the rules for minors with regards to registration.

Maybe there were other adults there who took their eyes off the child?
Maybe the child was inside the house and wandered out while eyes were in the sky? The article didn't get that specific.
So I'm just saying going ballistic on the operator with out all the facts is similar to what the media does.

The media vilifies the hobby the same way. "Death to the evil drone person!!!"

Meanwhile, children sit in the bleachers at Nascar races, blind folded children carrying sharp instruments play "pin the tail on the donkey" with other children easily in eye poking range and so forth. This was an accident. They happen.

My point is we shouldn't get hysterical and classify someone dangerous or in such terms unless we know the person and the exact circumstances. To live, we also must accept that there are risks we take everyday, sometimes they affect us...sometimes others as well. If you try to mitigate every possibility, you'll live in a bubble.

I do feel awful for that poor kid though.

Reactions: mdowney58
Much worse are RC helis...dangerous as HELL. One teenager decapitated himself. Why no FAA outrage over that?

Reactions: JKDSensei
Much worse are RC helis...dangerous as HELL. One teenager decapitated himself. Why no FAA outrage over that?

You're right.
I had several 61 nitro powered Helos with 40" rotor spans. Heck, just the tail rotor was equivalent to the Phantom's main rotors and gas powered...not electric.

Probably because nobody had cameras on em ? But the could fly just as high as a Phantom.

Something about cameras has spooked everyone. Or at least the elite.

Reactions: TheTanger
You're right.
I had several 61 nitro powered Helos with 40" rotor spans. Heck, just the tail rotor was equivalent to the Phantom's main rotors and gas powered...not electric.

Probably because nobody had cameras on em ? But the could fly just as high as a Phantom.

Something about cameras has spooked everyone. Or at least the elite.
Yes, interesting isn't it? Seems rather silly as those are much more dangerous (and harder to control) to the general public than a GPS-assisted Phantom if they were to fly near people or fall out of the sky.

Reactions: JKDSensei

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl