Sad news

sadly, because of the sudden rush of quad sales and irresponsible operators, we WILL see more things like this on the news.

mark my words, there will be so many incidences like this that in time, they will ban quads like ours to certain areas like fly parks or something of the sort.

it's coming. :(

....drones and then thinking it's okay to fly where there are people, particularly children anywhere near!

Stick to the rules and it should not happen. The guy was flying in a garden and over others plus near a road. Did not comply with CAA rules.

As would following good safety procedures and not flying with people in close proximity or in danger should the aircraft go out of control.

Reactions: dirkclod
Mandatory propeller guards would have 100% prevented this.

Yes and caused lots of other crashes due to ring vortex effects.

This is a tragic tragic ACCIDENT which the media have pounced on with glee. I wonder how many kids have lost their sight due to golf balls, cricket balls,catapults,air rifles, fishing hooks etc etc.

In fact I remember reading a loom rubber band blinded a 7 yr old a few years ago. They never banned rubber bands but of course they will use any excuse on drones.

It is impossible to prevent an accident happening - yes we can reduce them but the more drones there are out there the more accidents we will hear about.

Reactions: jbright

This is a tragic tragic ACCIDENT which the media have pounced on with glee. I wonder how many kids have lost their sight due to golf balls, cricket balls,catapults,air rifles, fishing hooks etc etc.

In fact I remember reading a loom rubber band blinded a 7 yr old a few years ago. They never banned rubber bands but of course they will use any excuse on drones.

It is impossible to prevent an accident happening - yes we can reduce them but the more drones there are out there the more accidents we will hear about.
Vortex rings are not present on P3's with prop guards or at least do not affect mine if I am flying with them.

Accidents do happen but let's prevent them by following good practices. It's a toy but for adults and need a safe place to fly. Let's not fly in populated areas.

Yesterday I was with my 34 years old son and flying in a nearby park. He said, don't you think we are closed to a dog park where he could easily see at least 10 couples. I was very happy to listen to him. Care for others should always be in our minds, it doesn't come by making rules.

Reactions: bobmyers

Vortex ring state is not easy to get into, believe me, I've been teaching people to fly helicopters for 15 yrs. prop guards will absolutely not be a major cause of vortex ring state. If you know what causes the effect, don't fly to get into it.

VRS requires low or no flow over the blades, ie no speed/drifting with the wind. It requires an induced flow through the blade disc, ie, motors running. And it also requires a high rate of descent. (Descending into own downwash)

So for me,prop guards won't cause VRS unless they are such a bad design, alongside some bad flying techniques.

So we can agree that every drone should have fixed, non-removable prop guards to prevent this from ever happening again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20