RTH

Reaction score
I would like to fly around while on a boat and the drone come to the boats current location - not the takeoff position. I think I saw a way to do it a long time ago.

After taking off, you'll need to reset the home point to the location where you'd like the Phantom to land. To do that, you need to do one of the following:

1) Fly over top of the location where you'd like the Phantom to land and reset the home point to the Phantom's current location. Then, carry on with your flight until you're ready to use RTH. This of course would only be an option if the boat is stopped and at the location where you'd like the Phantom to land when resetting the home point.

2) If you're using a mobile device that contains a GPS receiver, you can reset the home point to your mobile device's current location at any time during the flight.

Note: Before attempting this, do a test with your mobile device (when not over water) to ensure this works. DJI GO is unable to reset the home point on some devices (like iPhones).

I think he's suggesting the OP read post #3 above.

I believe you can set rth to go to the controller's location, but would take co troll to manually land. Practice, practice, and practice (over land) good luck and safe flying.

This may or may not be a very good idea. Depends on where your boat is. If tied up at a fixed dock, go for it! If in a lake with no current, no wind, no other boats creating wakes, and at anchor, then maybe it would work. If in current and wind the boat is going to move around constantly even at anchor, unless your boat is the USS Nimitz. That floating city will still move around but much more slowly then a 20 ft. pleasure boat. I was off shore bottom fishing several years ago. The wind was blowing at about 15 kts. The wind was blowing in the direction of the current flow. The captain stated that we were drifting at 6 kts. Think about it, in 30 minutes the boat (120 ft headboat) had moved 3+ miles.

The last post should be taken with a great respect. If the boat is moving, then you must synchronize the speed and direction of both - the UAV and the boat. It's rather tricy then you must land hand catching. Otherwise the landing will be roll over or over the margins of the boat that's into the water. Good luck.

After taking off, you'll need to reset the home point to the location where you'd like the Phantom to land. To do that, you need to do one of the following:

1) Fly over top of the location where you'd like the Phantom to land and reset the home point to the Phantom's current location. Then, carry on with your flight until you're ready to use RTH. This of course would only be an option if the boat is stopped and at the location where you'd like the Phantom to land when resetting the home point.

2) If you're using a mobile device that contains a GPS receiver, you can reset the home point to your mobile device's current location at any time during the flight.

Note: Before attempting this, do a test with your mobile device (when not over water) to ensure this works. DJI GO is unable to reset the home point on some devices (like iPhones).
Would this include Crystal Sky using a Hot Spot?

Reactions: TontoFAC
You can reset the home point in the following section of DJI GO. Click the button on the right to set the home point to the mobile device's current location.

DJI-GO-Reset-Home-Point.jpg

You can reset the home point in the following section of DJI GO. Click the button on the right to set the home point to the mobile device's current location.

View attachment 116950
thanks much. I have RTM. But I guess I was a little confused because I remembered something different. Probably thinking of Litchi.

View attachment 116950

Hi @msinger,
I've noticed a lot of pilots (no matter if they run DJI Go 3 or 4 App) have the identical issue as mine, namely they cannot re-set the home point according to the new RC GPS position. Trying to proceed with it in the "Home Point Settings" menu, the system retuns with these 2 warnings: "Mobile Device GPS Signal Weak. Its location cannot be acquired" followed by "Home Point not recorded". (the tablet has no issues when running other apps that need GPS coordinates)

I searched back in my flights history, and found that all flights up to April 9th 2019 still had the RC GPS position, then on my next flight from April 25th 2019 until the present day, the RC GPS position didn't appear anymore on the map. At that time I ran DJI Go App v3.1.54.

Do you, or other members close to DJI know what is all about and why has DJI decided to cut this very usefull feature ? Eventually to discourage UAV pilots to fly their drones while they are on a moving boat ? ;)
Thank you in advance.

My suite is a P3P with DJI Go App v3.1.64 on a iPad mini 2 w/ cell iOS v12.4.7
(I have another iPad too that runs iOS 13.5.1 but I don't think the issue is iOS version dependant)

Hi @msinger,
I've noticed a lot of pilots (no matter if they run DJI Go 3 or 4 App) have the identical issue as mine, namely they cannot re-set the home point according to the new RC GPS position. Trying to proceed with it in the "Home Point Settings" menu, the system retuns with these 2 warnings: "Mobile Device GPS Signal Weak. Its location cannot be acquired" followed by "Home Point not recorded". (the tablet has no issues when running other apps that need GPS coordinates)

I searched back in my flights history, and found that all flights up to April 9th 2019 still had the RC GPS position, then on my next flight from April 25th 2019 until the present day, the RC GPS position didn't appear anymore on the map. At that time I ran DJI Go App v3.1.54.

Do you, or other members close to DJI know what is all about and why has DJI decided to cut this very usefull feature ? Eventually to discourage UAV pilots to fly their drones while they are on a moving boat ? ;)
Thank you in advance.

My suite is a P3P with DJI Go App v3.1.64 on a iPad mini 2 w/ cell iOS v12.4.7
(I have another iPad too that runs iOS 13.5.1 but I don't think the issue is iOS version dependant)
I tried to reset home point recently on a boat and using the crystal sky. I got the same error. It was very annoying and caused a bit of a plan B. I could swear I had tested it from home. I thought maybe my Bimini was causing GPS interference.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures