RTH setting...very conservative!!

Reaction score
Don't you think the RTH is very conservative? After 4.5km and with 65% of battery it starts the RTH, just for landing with the 40%..... grrrrr I don't stop it to avoid problems but...
thank you

Don't you think the RTH is very conservative? After 4.5km and with 65% of battery it starts the RTH, just for landing with the 40%..... grrrrr I don't stop it to avoid problems but...
thank you

I think the better choice of words is, "Don't you think the RTH is too conservative?"

My answer is, no.

Reactions: Matchlock
The designers are trying to prevent operators from destroying their very own aircraft by adding a larger margin of safety into the mix. This larger margin of safety (which some consider too conservative) is partially there to help avoid the problem of leaving with a TAIL WIND and returning with a HEAD WIND!

If the cranked the #'s way down and people started losing their aircraft because it was too lenient you'd see a LOT of threads popping up saying, "I Lost my sUAS because RTH kicked way too late and there wasn't enough battery to get it home. I'm contacting DJI and demanding a FULL refund"

The RTH warning comes on even sooner when flying in Sport mode (75%) then it does in GPS mode (65%) I just quickly hit the Cancel button and continue flying just keeping an eye on the battery consumption and taking into consideration wind conditions for the return leg, if the wind is right switching to Atti mode is most helpful returning home if battery levels are in question..

Last edited:
It just takes some time to learn exactly when to RTH in order to get the most flight time without the risk of running out of battery. There’s actually a formula for how many minutes you have of flight to battery level.

I agree with Ripper7620.

Yes the auto RTH is conservative and it should as the craft does not know if you have a tail wind going out or if conditions change. I never use the auto RTH and turn around for the conditions of that flight. My target is to land at 20% battery and I am always pretty close to my target, more often I get back home at more than 20% and just fly it down to 20% ( my batteries love me for this too), a few other times the conditions changed mid flight and I was glad I planed for 20% and landed under 10%. As BigA said too many people depend on RTH to get the craft home and don't fully understand how RTH works and don't fly according to present conditions and blame DJI for their loss. For me RTH is for emergency situation were I lost signal, as soon as it comes back I take control of the craft, if I think for some reason on this flight I may lose signal because of the canopy (example) I never fly with a tail wind then I know RTH will and can get my craft closer to regain signal. The only times I used RTH to fly my craft back home is around -10c to -20c and my hands get so cold I cant feel the sticks anymore.

Yes the auto RTH is conservative and it should as the craft does not know if you have a tail wind going out or if conditions change. I never use the auto RTH and turn around for the conditions of that flight. My target is to land at 20% battery and I am always pretty close to my target, more often I get back home at more than 20% and just fly it down to 20% ( my batteries love me for this too), a few other times the conditions changed mid flight and I was glad I planed for 20% and landed under 10%. As BigA said too many people depend on RTH to get the craft home and don't fully understand how RTH works and don't fly according to present conditions and blame DJI for their loss. For me RTH is for emergency situation were I lost signal, as soon as it comes back I take control of the craft, if I think for some reason on this flight I may lose signal because of the canopy (example) I never fly with a tail wind then I know RTH will and can get my craft closer to regain signal. The only times I used RTH to fly my craft back home is around -10c to -20c and my hands get so cold I cant feel the sticks anymore.
Why might your batteries might love you for observing a practice to run them down to 20%? Landing after your return at a higher percentage will give you more charge cycles and longer service life.

Why might your batteries might love you for observing a practice to run them down to 20%? Landing after your return at a higher percentage will give you more charge cycles and longer service life.
The 20% battery back home is a safety margin I try to maintain. At times I over compensate for wind and I get home a bit quicker than 20% so I fly around my yard a bit just for fun and at times just land at what ever % I got. I agree that landing at higher % reduces cycles and will extend battery life and the down to 20% is just having fun without deep discharge, lower to 20% doe's not improve battery life just my life.

Generally agree but according to the manual flying at -20 is 'NOT'.
Many of us fly at -20C and even lower because being Canadian if we don't fly in the cold we don't fly for 4 to 5 months a year. At -20C when I take off with warm batteries the internal battery temperature will rise into the low 40C range as I cruise around 30mph. The craft handles well in the dense air and I get the same flight times. My tablet freezes and dies about the same time my fingers can't take anymore and that when I call it a day, 2 batteries at the most for me. First you tablet go's then probably your RC (never happened to me yet) and your craft just go's. I'm sure the craft is brittle and I handle it very gently in the cold and I don't putter arround I get cruising and get those amps flowing and the battery warms up just fine. It's how you bring the craft in from the cold into your humid home that counts (that's another story).

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl