RTH and distance wrong

Reaction score
Good morning,

So cut a long story very short I finally got to fly my replacement P3S today and no compass errors.

One thing did seem very off though, I set my home point and flew off . . .
I decided just to test RTH so I knew it was working and noticed it said original home point and current position ( never noticed this on my first P3S, new to latest firmware?)

Anyway I selected current position as I would imagine it would just use my GPS etc but noticed my distance was 4000 feet away which it definitely was not. I cancelled out and tried again using original which worked fine and distance on the bottom of the screen also looked to be right.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? First flight I didn't calibrate the IMU but landed and did but still showed wrong distance. Does IMU have anything to do with distance readings?

Cheers

Hello from France !

Exactly that I experimented last saturday.
DJIGo asked me to update the home point, and like a moron, I did not check where his supposed position was located, I accepted...
I continued my fly and did a RTH....
My drone flyed away toward the west...
By chance, I have found it next day by checking the log, I have found where his home point was located, it was near some houses at 1.2 km west-north-west. I went close these houses, and I rang the bell, at the third house, the guy had got my drone !
Incredible but real !
He won a very good bottle of Champagne Tsarine "premier cru".

Simple test.
If you use DJIGo without RC and without drone, you can see that the position where he locates you is false, he locates at 1.2 km West-North-West from the real position.
If you use GoogleMap or Litchi, the position is good, not with DJIGo.

It is definitively a real and heavy bug of the DJIGo app.

Dont use anymore DJIGo until they fixe this issue

Phantom 3 Pro flying away to a 1.2 km away random HP

Reactions: Alba52
Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Either your mobile device was not reporting an accurate location or there is some kind of bug that caused the home point to be recorded in the wrong location. I've seen a few flight logs over the past month where the home point was reset to a location thousands of feet away -- even though the aircraft nor mobile device was reporting from that location. I asked those pilots contact DJI support for help. I haven't heard back from them, so I'm not sure what they found.

If you want to check out your TXT flight log, you can convert it to a CSV file using this tool. After doing that, you'll be able to see the location of all set home points, the location of your Phantom, and the location of your mobile device. Using that data, you'll be able to figure out if you fall into the scenario I mentioned above.

If you need help reviewing your flight log, please upload it here.

Does IMU have anything to do with distance readings?
No.

You can upload your TXT flight log here and post a link back here to share it. Or, just attach the TXT flight log here.

BTW, someone else recently posted this thread showing what I mentioned above.

Yes, this is definitely the same case. Here's where the home point was reset to:

ResetHomePoint.jpg

You should definitely contact DJI support and see what they think happened. If you decide to do that, please follow up here.

Yeah I've actually just went on the app like eljano said and the location the go app has me is nearly a mile away.

Do you think this is a drone faulty or more the app issue? Whats best way to report this to DJI? Upload the same logs to their forum?

Do you think this is a drone faulty or more the app issue?
I'm not sure, but I think it's an app issue. Every person that mentioned using that feature here noted the same issue. That certainly doesn't mean others are not successfully using it though.

Whats best way to report this to DJI? Upload the same logs to their forum?
You could create a thread in the DJI forum since DJI support is very active there. Copy the following link in your thread:

Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

DJI support will be able to download your flight log there.

Thanks for sharing!

that's scary, oh bye £500 drone just go fly 4000m to where you think home is lol... No thank you.

Just a quickie, the people that are having there drones try to fly off, does your app show you green H ( home point) in the correct place?

does your app show you green H ( home point) in the correct place?
Yes. You can see the home point marked in the flight log above. The issue is that the home point changes to the wrong location when choosing the option to RTH to the current location.

Yes. You can see the home point marked in the flight log above. The issue is that the home point changes to the wrong location when choosing the option to RTH to the current location.

very dodgy..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan