Roman candles strapped to skids

I really don't think the FAA would consider Roman candles as remotely reasonably safe. This is in the regs so that bush pilots can drop stuff off in the middle of the wilderness, not so you can play boom.

In the regulation it states if reasonable precautions are taken.

If you are in a area that is not a fire hazard and away from people including yourself I'd say you took precautions. And again I'm sure the regulation mainly set for open cockpit flyer's so pilots or passenger's don't just throw things out. I highly doubt anyone will care about your drone and Roman candles.

Don't get me wrong I still think it's a bad idea but I wouldn't say it's unsafe if done properly. A phantom dropping out of the sky due to a battery cutout is just as dangerous and could be more dangerous depending on where it happens as you may not be ready for it.

Don't be an idiot about it and you will be fine. Strap some candles on at the local park and you will get what you deserve for being a tool.

Reactions: ParsnipHysorter
You've got to be pretty dumb to try something like that. It's quite staggering that anyone would even think about it. There again, I doubt anyone here would take it as far as this Russian flyer. His YouTube collection is full of crazy stuff using his TBS Discovery, from dropping eggs on traffic, to buzzing Moscow police officers and even flying around the Kremlin.

Know you know you have seen this done here gfred in videos .
Not sure where ya going with this .
Maybe just curious if this new group has done it maybe .
Think it was the egg nog... I though it would be a good conversation topic at the time lol.

Reactions: dirkclod
Bottle rockets and cardboard would work better...but I ain't going there. Those days are over, I hope.

A long time ago .... before the time of drones, in a desert area, with nothing around for miles, and using cheap high wing 3 channel trainers, and 4 channel radios, with the fail safe set to full down elev. and reliable transceiver ranges of much less than 'miles' .... we would use 4 coat hangers bent into a U shape and fastened them under the wings, with two to each wing using duct tape so one side of the U was a weapons rail of sorts, and then we'd slide the smallest Estes, electrically fired rockets onto them.

We used a tab of plastic cut from a milk bottle, tacked to the leading edge of the wing above each rail, as a flap that was stiff enough to hold the nose of the Estes rockets so they wouldn't slide off in a dive, but still allow them to slide off when launched.

Then by using a servo that activated 4 micro switches by staggering them so the 4'th channel control (with trim centered) would move in one direction to close one switch and fire the inboard rocket on one wing, then in the other direction for the inboard rocket on the other wing, then back in the original direction but with the full trim to fire the outboard rocket, and then the other direction with full trim that way, to fire the last rocket.

The fuse of the trainers held some Tannerite, and we'd fly combat.
99% of the time the rockets missed, and after flying a number of sorties and shooting all of our rocket we'd use up the rest of our fuel jug trying to fly into each other to get the Tannerite to go off.
Most times we came back home with the trainers intact, but every once in a while the rocket would hit and Tannerite would go off.
Making a fun camping trip to the dessert a bit more fun.

But IMHO, with Phantoms this type of 'sport' is just too dangerous.
They have no way (that I know of) to set a fail safe that would put them in the dirt under all malfunction circumstances, and can end up flying off for way too much of an undetermined distance for it to be safe .. let alone legal.

If you do try the roman candle thing (and I really advise against it) only do it inside an all metal building, or well beyond international waters ... etc.

Last edited:
It has been shown here before. It is most likely illegal to do.

It is legal to drop objects from an aircraft as long as no hazard is created. It's open to interpretation, but I would suggest that deliberately shooting fire balls on the ground would be a hazard.

§ 91.15 Dropping objects.

No pilot in command of a civil aircraft may allow any object to be dropped from that aircraft in flight that creates a hazard to persons or property. However, this section does not prohibit the dropping of any object if reasonable precautions are taken to avoid injury or damage to persons or property.

Thread reminds me something I heard while jumping out of perfectly good airplanes.

Story told by skydivers: "Yea man,we are going to throw this cat out and see if it lands on it's feet." So upon return from his jump skydiver says: "Can someone take me to the hospital? I think I am going to need stitches"

In the regulation it states if reasonable precautions are taken.

If you are in a area that is not a fire hazard and away from people including yourself I'd say you took precautions. And again I'm sure the regulation mainly set for open cockpit flyer's so pilots or passenger's don't just throw things out. I highly doubt anyone will care about your drone and Roman candles.

Don't get me wrong I still think it's a bad idea but I wouldn't say it's unsafe if done properly. A phantom dropping out of the sky due to a battery cutout is just as dangerous and could be more dangerous depending on where it happens as you may not be ready for it.

Don't be an idiot about it and you will be fine. Strap some candles on at the local park and you will get what you deserve for being a tool.
This is okay if one uses common sense. But then again, common sense isn't as common as you would hope. I could see doing this where I live because there are many, many wide open areas with no people (Alaska) and in the winter with snow on the ground and trees the fire danger would be non-existent. It would be a "blast". But of course some dumb-*** will go and do it in a park or city, or in the summer and start a fire.... argh.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl