Restricted!

Haven flown in several months. Broke the P4 out to this. What’s up?

Paul
3e6459501d16e9a3a46299b81be0805f.jpg

Almost definitely caused by not logging into DJI.

Almost definitely caused by not logging into DJI.

Actually it's more likely due to the combination of a recent version of DJI Go with an older aircraft firmware. If that is the case then the restriction is not real and the aircraft will fly beyond those limits.

You can just X out the message and fly normally.
Well, that didn't work for ElGuapo last weekend. Maybe we didn't have the magic touch.

On Saturday we arrived in the local San Gabriel mountains to do some flying. ElGuapo had his I2 and P4P. He had flown them many times before with the same app and firmware, however at this location we didn't have cellular coverage. The Go4 app insisted to login, again. It wouldn't let him fly. We tried everything and no joy. ElGuapo had to drive down the hill until he got cellular coverage to login, then drive back up before he could fly the I2. That's just dumb if you ask me. What if we were a hundred miles out in the desert, or high up in the mountains on a commercial shoot where no cellular coverage exists? I don't understand why DJI insists on logging in, apparently over and over.

I didn't have this problem because I'm running old Go4 and old firmware (from May 2017) on my P4P, I'm golden.

Last edited:
What if we were a hundred miles out in the desert, or high up in the mountains on a commercial shoot where no cellular coverage exists?

then you would have made plans to check this stuff before you set out and whilst you still had cellular coverage - if the app can't update itself then you can't get locked out - a little pre-planning can save a whole lot of grief :)

Reactions: Meta4
then you would have made plans to check this stuff before you set out and whilst you still had cellular coverage - if the app can't update itself then you can't get locked out - a little pre-planning can save a whole lot of grief :)
This demand by DJI is overboard. There's no need for DJI to required login every time there's a small update. This is actually illegal based on US court ruling, stating no manufacturer can disable a product for lack of updating. That's like a recall on your GM car for safety updating, and as a result of failing to bring in the car by the deadline date, GM sends a signal by satellite with OnStar that prevents your car from starting up. You have to agree that's totally absurd, unreasonable, unnecessary, and stepping over the line.

It's very, very easy to prevent auto-updating.
Turn off auto-updates and decide for yourself when you want to update any apps.

Reactions: Geoelectro
This demand by DJI is overboard. There's no need for DJI to required login every time there's a small update. This is actually illegal based on US court ruling, stating no manufacturer can disable a product for lack of updating. That's like a recall on your GM car for safety updating, and as a result of failing to bring in the car by the deadline date, GM sends a signal by satellite with OnStar that prevents your car from starting up. You have to agree that's totally absurd, unreasonable, unnecessary, and stepping over the line.

They are not disabling for lack of updating though - they are disabling if you do update but don't login in again.

Reactions: andy_k
They are not disabling for lack of updating though - they are disabling if you do update but don't login in again.
So what you are saying is this appears to be a case where ElGuapo received an auto update he didn't realize in the iPad, and since he didn't login after the update, he had this hiccup. I'll check with him to see if he has auto updates enabled in his iPad. I would be surprised if he allowed auto updates because he's an IT guy, but anything is possible.

Nothing is being disabled is it? it's being limited - there's a big difference.

It takes five minuted preparation to check this stuff before you set out - to end up out of cellular range and to discover something as basic as this is bordering on negligence

So what you are saying is this appears to be a case where ElGuapo received an auto update he didn't realize in the iPad, and since he didn't login after the update, he had this hiccup. I'll check with him to see if he has auto updates enabled in his iPad. I would be surprised if he allowed auto updates because he's an IT guy, but anything is possible.

I'm still somewhat puzzled, because the app auto-updates on my iOS devices but it doesn't require me to log in again afterwards. I could understand that happening if one were to delete the app and install a new version from scratch, but just updating seems to maintain the login state or history.

Nothing is being disabled is it? it's being limited - there's a big difference.

It takes five minuted preparation to check this stuff before you set out - to end up out of cellular range and to discover something as basic as this is bordering on negligence
I bet 99% of the pilots here NEVER boot up their drone and connect to the go app at home as routine before heading out to fly. That's a hassle, and ridiculous IMO.

I bet 99% of the pilots here NEVER boot up their drone and connect to the go app at home as routine before heading out to fly. That's a hassle, and ridiculous IMO.
99% of the drone owners that I know do exactly that as part of their pre-flight checks - if you are filming professionally you cannot afford easily avoided amateur screw-ups

You say it's a hassle - how much of a hassle did not doing it prove to be for you two :D

Reactions: fancymark

Not sure about that. I've made a habit of doing that just to make sure that everything is working and communicating, and I suspect I'm not alone in taking that precaution.

Reactions: andy_k
I just don't understand John's problem - you are obviously aware of the need to log in to your DJI account occasionally and after some system updates so you act accordingly - it's a bit like looking before you cross the road :)

I just don't understand John's problem - you are obviously aware of the need to log in to your DJI account occasionally and after some system updates so you act accordingly - it's a bit like looking before you cross the road :)
Thanks for the condescending suggestion. The problem is ElGuapo had no idea he was going to have a problem flying. He's has P3P's, P4P, Mavic, and an I2. He knows what he's doing, I would think. It's not like he's new to DJI, much like myself. Personally, I'm so confident with my craft I never check operation at home, likely because I never update anything, period. Everything just always works for me, so I was feeling ElGuapo's pain, having to drive down the mountain to fix this unnecessary flaw (my definition) in the s/w. Can anyone here justify this routine of logging in all the time? What changed that all of a sudden in 2017 DJI felt it necessary to have all their customers login repeatedly to enable motor engagement? Who and how does this login benefit the common cause of increasing safety?

99% of the drone owners that I know do exactly that as part of their pre-flight checks
Filming professionally, I understand this may be a wise thing to do, but the masses flying P4Ps aren't professional, so maybe it's 95% . Maybe I'm wrong, it would be a good pole to take, just out of curiosity, who takes the time to do an RC connect check as routine before leaving the house for a day of flying.

I still don't see why a few of you guys are OK and HAPPY AS A CLAM with DJI mandating login starting this year. Things were fine last year and we didn't need to login all the time. Are we all sheep?

Last edited:
Reactions: Droneboondocker
I still don't see why a few of you guys are OK and HAPPY AS A CLAM with DJI mandating login starting this year.
Because it really is no issue to most of us. I understand that you think it's important, but most of us haven't really noticed - it becomes part of the routine

Things were fine last year and we didn't need to login all the time. Are we all sheep?
but things weren't really fine were they? Firmware/software hacks were all over the place and DJI were getting bad press so tried to tighten things up a bit. You still had to login to DJI to activate the drone and do other account based stuff. So, no, we are not sheep and really don't need a shepherd to tell us how wrong we all are :D

There really isn't any 'logging in all the time'
It's certainly not once, as you stated it's "part of your routine", as others have also mentioned. There are apparently login requirements when new app software is released, which occurs all the time IMO. I'm still trying to get clarity exactly when this login requirement occurs because I haven't experienced this, as I never update anything in apps or firmware. Others are OK logging in, but I'm not, hence I don't update for that reason, but that's just me. I like what I have with my no-limits P4P craft, it's absolutely incredible.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka