Remotely controlled nozzle or clamp to drop little water from drone

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am an assistant professor in an university in the States, and I am pretty new to drones, I fly a Phantom 4 pro which I bought few months ago. For my research, I need to intermittently drop some drops of water from a drone, just 4-6 feet from the ground in a remote area. I need to tune the frequency at which these drops falls, from a single drop every 10 seconds all the way to a little squirt (fraction of second duration) every 10 seconds. I need to do it tens or hundreds of time. I just bought a 10$ gravity feeding bag, with a tube and manual clamp. It is basically an IV bag. It works wonders and it is cheap, but its manual, I cannot change the frequency while flying the drone and I cannot do intermittent squirts of water unless I intermittently turn completely on and then off the clamp manually. I was considering to buy a radio controlled clamp or valve, basically the same like the manual one I have, but I can do it from the ground while the drone flies. Basically something that would compress the plastic tube (narrow its section) the way I want. Any idea? Google did not help. I got a 5000$ quote from a website that makes agriculture spraying drones but I do not need something that fancy, they wanna sell me a huge drone with huge tank (5 liters) and pump. I just need the small bag I bought (50-100 ml, light weight), what I am missing is a remote controlled valve/clamp to put on my pipe. Any suggestion? Thank you very much for your help

Best
V.

4-6 feet from the ground? You need a step ladder or milk crate to stand on....

The first issue will be the prop wash interfering with your carefully timed delivery, system- it is almost certainly going to change it.

You can do this for cheap (assuming the airflow from the drone isn’t an issue you can’t work around). You could use the power supply to the front boom lights to drive a relay or transistor to energise a solenoid valve etc. probably $50 in parts and five or six beers with a soldering iron. If you search here for led lights and remote activation you should find some threads on how people have obtained a switching power source with the existing hardware.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18