reminder to clean battery contacts

Reaction score
Just a friendly reminder to make sure you clean the battery contacts often. I have done so a couple times since getting my first in Jan and go by flights more or less.

What I forgot about was all the uses I recently have done doing upgrades and , wifi fixs, gps fixes, etc. Many battery insertions doing these non flight uses , actually with the winter we had, they may out number flights .

Today had about 6 minutes into a flight with 10-15 mph winds. Was at about 100M and maybe 75m way. I was following a river through town shooting a sunset etc. 10-11 sats about 75 % battery, its all good!

screen pops up:
NOT ENOUGH BATTERY POWER TO RETURN HOME , I say ****,
I am on the home point, down by the tracks and river and it is over the river, (maybe the thing about drones over water has a point,lol).
I pushed it down so fast while bringing towards me that about 8 foot up had to move off off tracks and clipped small tree branch. That tossed itinto the stones at rail bed bottom. Visible damage seems to be gimbal separated so far.
Battery was PARTIALLY ejected , unclipped for sure but still had power to camera and rear leds.
shut off camera and and then the battery.

Other than the gimbal its all good to go and did not even break a prop. Really bad thing about gimbal is I have the Inertia guard on the bench, I took it off a couple weeks back doing some other work.....

Upon checking battery it shows 78%, but my contacts inside the quad were dirty as hec. 2 solid streaks where the battery contacts them. I know better but still let it happen
Not any more!

How do you clean them? Do you use an abrasive material or some sort or cleaning liquid?

I use Deoxit to clean mine.

Since updating the app, I get that message all the time. I could be on 50% and suddenly I get, "Note enough battery power to return home." I also now get the horn going off sometimes when I make it climb hard, as if doing so is some sort of warning against draining the battery too fast.

Just to balance this out...it maybe a good idea to clean the contacts, but I depends on many environmental and storage factors if they actually in fact need it. I check mine regularly but have never had to clean them in 14 months of ownership and a lot of flying.

Since updating the app, I get that message all the time. I could be on 50% and suddenly I get, "Note enough battery power to return home." I also now get the horn going off sometimes when I make it climb hard, as if doing so is some sort of warning against draining the battery too fast.
Hi, might pay to connect to your PC and check each cell voltage you may have a cell on its way out. Do the rear LEDs flash red briefly when you make it climb hard?

Hi, might pay to connect to your PC and check each cell voltage you may have a cell on its way out. Do the rear LEDs flash red briefly when you make it climb hard?
I'll check, and I can't recall seeing a red flash. I'll have to watch for that.
The batteries were new in Dec (along with the Phantom) and have had maybe 8 hours (25 flights) each.

Since I live at sea level in Florida with lots of humidity and salt air around, I clean often. I use DeOxIT and it takes me all of 30 seconds to clean both my drones, so I call that really cheap insurance.

I will watch for that, I did do 3.12 a few weeks back. The battery drain at high power use is what triggered mine now that I looked at video. I was going into wind at pretty good speed when message popped up.
Got camera back together and working but slight tilt to side, next time I have time will redo that. And the gimbal inertia guard is where it belongs, on the quad again

Here is picture of dirt trace on the power terminal, 2 tracks were clear on each term, corresponding to internal contacts in battery
not the best but .

I have 2 phntoms and cleaned both about month ago at same time. I have used the second(p2v1) one more so than this one (plus) during winter.

The p2v1 was NOT dirty like the plus was even though I flew it more

. battery term.jpg

I'm sure that if you press and hold the battery button, while off, the lights will come on. Then by going by how many are lit up you can tell how much life is left.

Someone posted a video on this a few months ago.

I'm sure that if you press and hold the battery button, while off, the lights will come on. Then by going by how many are lit up you can tell how much life is left.

Someone posted a video on this a few months ago.
Correct, and that's in the manual. Press and hold for 5 seconds and it will indicate battery life.

True but what's it based on?

# of cycles? If so... useless.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing