Registering new 4K with FAA

Reaction score
Might be a silly question but I've got a Phantom 2 that's registered with the FAA. I've sold it on eBay and purchased a Phantom 3 4K. Do I need to register the new drone or can I use the registration for the old one.

Might be a silly question but I've got a Phantom 2 that's registered with the FAA. I've sold it on eBay and purchased a Phantom 3 4K. Do I need to register the new drone or can I use the registration for the old one.
You never told the FAA any details of your old one because they don't care what you fly or how many you have.
You are registered rather than the drone(s).
You can use your number on as many drones as you own.

Reactions: ifilmls
You never told the FAA any details of your old one because they don't care what you fly or how many you have.
You are registered rather than the drone(s).
You can use your number on as many drones as you own.

Good answer, having more then one drone does not require another FAA number.

@Meta4 Meta, correct for hobby. With the new Part 107, which I think I know in and out for my test Monday, you will have to register each drone separate. @BigAl07 and I had this discussion a couple weeks ago. If you are going to use it even occasionally, like me once I pass the test and receive my certificate, it will need to be reregistered with a commercial registration. Like Allen said, think of it like a CDL, you don't always use it but still are held to those rules and have to have registration that way.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Yes it all depends on the use of the aircraft. If hobby the OPERATOR is registered and that same # goes on all of your "hobby" aircraft. If any of your aircraft are even occasionally used for Commercial Ops then that/those aircraft are registered as such and get their own unique registration #.

Hope that makes sense. It's been a longgggg day :)

Reactions: Nickster
I'm staying away from any commercial use. I bought mine to document my travels and share with friends and family. I film farm fields, trains, bridges, buildings. All from a distance, not over people or roads. Not looking for commercial use, no time for that, too busy having fun.

I'm staying away from any commercial use. I bought mine to document my travels and share with friends and family. I film farm fields, trains, bridges, buildings. All from a distance, not over people or roads. Not looking for commercial use, no time for that, too busy having fun.
Sounds like the very definition of a hobby! Happy flying

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl