Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Register with FAA- Account Type...

Discussion in 'Rules and Regulations' started by ItsMeAgain, Sep 16, 2016.

1. ItsMeAgain

Hi Guys
    Obviously I'm new here- I have been reading and studying for a couple months mainly on "what to buy" and finally picked up a P3 4k last weekend. I saw where we are supposed to register before our first flight and if caught flying w/o registration a hefty fine may be levied.

When registering on the FAA site we must choose between MODEL AIRCRAFT or NON-MODEL AIRCRAFT even though my understanding is that it can be either one for the same drone. I searched the forums here and if this topic was discussed I missed it.

Guessing it is OK to choose Model Aircraft at first then if one gets adept at flying and seeks to do drone for hire work he may change his/her registration?

Thanks

2. BigAl07

BigAl07 Moderator
    Staff Member

Hello [​IMG]

Welcome to the forum and the addiction er hobby :)

Model Aircraft (hobby) unless you plan to operate it in a Commercial capacity. Also when you register "hobby" you are registering yourself not the aircraft. In this manner if you buy other "hobby" aircraft then you use the same # on them.

As a commercial registration you are registering a single specific aircraft (serial # etc) and that number is only valid on that specific aircraft.

Falcon900 and Nickster like this.
  3. Nickster

The model is for hobby use only. If you decide to do commercial, you will have to reregister it again as commercial when you are getting your commercial license under Part 107. I just went through this and had to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

ryantrax and BigAl07 like this.
  4. ItsMeAgain

Thanks guys
    So completely normal to start as HOBBY and see what happens. I see various applications that a drone could be used for commercially but have to get more flight time first

Nickster and BigAl07 like this.