Register with FAA- Account Type...

Reaction score
Hi Guys
Obviously I'm new here- I have been reading and studying for a couple months mainly on "what to buy" and finally picked up a P3 4k last weekend. I saw where we are supposed to register before our first flight and if caught flying w/o registration a hefty fine may be levied.

When registering on the FAA site we must choose between MODEL AIRCRAFT or NON-MODEL AIRCRAFT even though my understanding is that it can be either one for the same drone. I searched the forums here and if this topic was discussed I missed it.

Guessing it is OK to choose Model Aircraft at first then if one gets adept at flying and seeks to do drone for hire work he may change his/her registration?

Thanks

Hello
animated-smileys-waving-015.gif

Welcome to the forum and the addiction er hobby :)

Model Aircraft (hobby) unless you plan to operate it in a Commercial capacity. Also when you register "hobby" you are registering yourself not the aircraft. In this manner if you buy other "hobby" aircraft then you use the same # on them.

As a commercial registration you are registering a single specific aircraft (serial # etc) and that number is only valid on that specific aircraft.

The model is for hobby use only. If you decide to do commercial, you will have to reregister it again as commercial when you are getting your commercial license under Part 107. I just went through this and had to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Thanks guys
So completely normal to start as HOBBY and see what happens. I see various applications that a drone could be used for commercially but have to get more flight time first

If you are just hobby, then you do not have to do anything but register your aircraft. Commercial requires you to get the Remote PIC certificate as well.

Tim, reread the site. Anything over 0.55 lbs needs to be registered with them either as a hobby or commercial. It is right here on their website.
sUAS Registration

Hmm when I went to the commercial section it implies that It is not necessary. Thanks for the clarification.

I would register as a commercial unit. That way if you ever decide to get your 107. Your all set.

Rudy, only do commercial if using it as that with Part 107. FAA will ask for other documents as well. With hobby, all your UASs are the same number which is nice. Since I am commercial now, I have to register each.

Rudy, only do commercial if using it as that with Part 107. FAA will ask for other documents as well. With hobby, all your UASs are the same number which is nice. Since I am commercial now, I have to register each.

I agree. I have both, phantoms that are registered with 'N' numbers and a couple of Symas that I still use my hobby number on. Since it costs $5 to register each drone commercial, don't worry about it until you Ned the commercial option. Also, once commercially registered, there ar some other things that com into play such as reporting is the aircraft is lost or sold. Also, if you are an AMA member, their insurance only covers hobby flying and they may take exception if the bird has a commercial registration.

Reactions: Nickster
Now I'm wondering. I just got a P3P refurb last week. I registered it commercial putting in the serial number and registering it under my LLC name (to protect me and my assets). I didn't get an N number but a weird combination starting with FA3WT.... Is it supposed to be N123xx? I wasn't sure.

Good point. I only have the one for now. I have to admit, it is nice having the Part 107 cert. Giving me a better understanding where I can fly, and some knowledge to back that up if it is ever questioned.

Reactions: Nickster
Now I'm wondering. I just got a P3P refurb last week. I registered it commercial putting in the serial number and registering it under my LLC name (to protect me and my assets). I didn't get an N number but a weird combination starting with FA3WT.... Is it supposed to be N123xx? I wasn't sure.
That registration number is what you get when you register online. You have to go the paper route to get an 'N' number. Takes more paperwork and time (5-6 weeks) to go paper. The number you got is perfectly legitimate. Purely personal for me, I've registered all 3 of my phantoms with my LLC via the paper route. I like having the same type of number as the big boys, IMHO, helps to reinforce that these are real aircraft in the mind of the public an LEOs.

That registration number is what you get when you register online. You have to go the paper route to get an 'N' number. Takes more paperwork and time (5-6 weeks) to go paper. The number you got is perfectly legitimate. Purely personal for me, I've registered all 3 of my phantoms with my LLC via the paper route. I like having the same type of number as the big boys, IMHO, helps to reinforce that these are real aircraft in the mind of the public an LEOs.
So you can't file for an N# online?

Correct. Has to be the paper route. This is the same procedure that manned aircraft owners have to use. Still only cost $5, here is the link to the FAA page with more info Aircraft Registry – Register an Aircraft

My thought too. And since commercial registration numbers must be displayed on the outside of the bird, a 6 character number fits much better than the long 'FA....' Type.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl