Red Rock Canyon -- Southern Utah

Reaction score
I got back from another trip to southern Utah last Saturday and this it the first video from the trip. Red Rock Canyon is close to Bryce National Park and offers great photo/video opportunities and some nice hiking as well. It is real close to the road, has easy parking, and is free...

Brian

Beautiful, did that got asked to leave but left with fantastic video

You were asked to leave Red Rock Canyon? It's not on any list of no fly zones that I'm aware of and neither the Go 4 app nor AirMap gives me any indications there would be a problem. The NFZ for the Panguitch Airport comes within about 2.5 miles and the Bryce Canyon Airport NFZ is more like 5 miles away so neither are limiting factors. This was the second time I've flown there ... the first time, about a year ago, was very windy and the video wasn't so good.

There is a visitor center and I suppose if you had flown from there you may have ticked off a staff member though I don't think they had any right to tell you to leave. But, I took-off about a half mile west of the visitor center and try to avoid flying over people -- you can see several people in the video and I turn to avoid overflying them.

Brian

Are we talking about same RedRock Canyon, outside Las Vegas, was informed it was a National Park and lucky not to get fined, was I Spoofed?

Are we talking about same RedRock Canyon, outside Las Vegas, was informed it was a National Park and lucky not to get fined, was I Spoofed?

No this is Utah. The one in Vegas, although part of the NPS, is s National Park conservation area... You CAN fly there with some tiny areas of exception. Most people assume since it’s NPS the system not a “park” that the same NOS ban applies. In this case, it does not.

IMG_5935.jpg

Here’s the specifics.

I didn't think about Red Rock near Vegas -- no, this is in Utah between the town of Panguitch and Bryce Canyon NP.

Red Rock near Vegas is pretty nice, but far superior is Valley of Fire -- about 60 miles east of Vegas. VoF is off limits to drones, however.

Brian

Reactions: ravedog
This is our Red Rock, I just finished re-editing to shorten and sync with music but still have trouble with post color, dlog looks bad without adding something, but two different machines, right and wrong filters and settings, a challenge, but it’s fun, what views

Nice, it's been a dozen years since I was last at Red Rock west of Vegas and the perspective the drone gives is pretty sweet. I note that you refer to this as "our Red Rock" yet you list your location as South Georgia -- can I assume Georgia is where you were born and raised and that Vegas is now your home? Hell, South Georgia is practically Florida :)

Brian

I can see red rock canyon from my backyard in Las Vegas. I fly there all the time, I just take off and land outside the park boundaries. They even say on their website that this is OK.

Nice, it's been a dozen years since I was last at Red Rock west of Vegas and the perspective the drone gives is pretty sweet. I note that you refer to this as "our Red Rock" yet you list your location as South Georgia -- can I assume Georgia is where you were born and raised and that Vegas is now your home? Hell, South Georgia is practically Florida :)

Brian

I had confused the very nice video being one and same as red rock we shot, (Nevada) son lives in Vegas

I can see red rock canyon from my backyard in Las Vegas. I fly there all the time, I just take off and land outside the park boundaries. They even say on their website that this is OK.

Please read my above post. You can fly in the park

Is it Christmas mountain (near Las Vegas) where rock climbers go, would like to team up with some climbers

Live in Georgia and SC, Florida Ok, except when the Gamecocks play the Gators, nothing left on the field but chicken feathers. Have to leave the game with a bag over my head.
How far from Vegas is Utah RedRock Canyon, And now you tempted me with the Valley of Fire, can you even get close with drone, any recommendations for 100 mile radius around Vegas, coming in about month.

Red rock Utah is 250 to 300 miles from Vegas depending on the route you take. I have a house in Panguitch as well. From Vegas, you can get to Bryce/Red Rock by going through Zion national Park, go through Panguitch from the east or cut over the mountains from Cedar city. The Cedar city route also goes through Cedar breaks. Another great area for some aerial photography.

Thanks, the place I was trying to remember was Mt Charleston, I filmed some rock climbers at Red Rock, but was a little tame, they informed me about this place close enough for a day trip to team up with someone and get some hard core climbing footage. Red Rock Utah looks great, can you get anything from flying outside park?

Reactions: ravedog

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT