really strange unbalanced gimbal issue

Reaction score
Just noticed when i got home from flying today my camera was hanging at a strange angle, i had taken off the lens cover/uv filter/ whatever it is, to see if there was any difference in the footage with it on or off, but when i got home its as if the camera is much too light. I taped a £1 coin (9.5 grams) to the far side of the camera and that seems to balanced it, but the weight of the removed lens cap is only 2 grams, so that cannot be the cause...

Is there a counterweight or something inside the camera body itself which may have come loose?
Has anyone else encountered this?

i uploaded a video to show what is happening.

Its gone missing, I'm pretty sure I left it out in the field, but it's only 2 grams and it's closer to the pivot so it'd have to be about 20 to be located there and be balanced in that axis

Mine hangs at exactly the same angle as yours when powered off but I have the filter on, so it doesn't snap down to the position with such a click. Yes, the absence of the filter will affect this and you can see that the counter-balancing of the coin has the same effect.

As long as it works OK when it's powered up and you're not getting any overload warnings, IMHO it's quite normal.

(Later) Just took my factory filter off and gave the camera a little push in the opposite direction to the way it settles. It made the same click as yours when it swung back across to the other side and it was almost as loud as yours.

A new filter needed and that's all, I think. :)

Last edited:
Just noticed when i got home from flying today my camera was hanging at a strange angle, i had taken off the lens cover/uv filter/ whatever it is, to see if there was any difference in the footage with it on or off, but when i got home its as if the camera is much too light. I taped a £1 coin (9.5 grams) to the far side of the camera and that seems to balanced it, but the weight of the removed lens cap is only 2 grams, so that cannot be the cause...

Is there a counterweight or something inside the camera body itself which may have come loose?
Has anyone else encountered this?

i uploaded a video to show what is happening.
HI Yip,,I go with Steve7777 on that to,,new filter should even up,,,,,:)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl