Real maximum distance acheived on Phantom 3 Professional

OK guys. Please tell me what I am doing wrong. I have the DJI Phantom 3 Advanced. Today I decided that THIS was the day I was going to fly out of site. I live in a fairly flat area. I took the drone up to about 150 feet and proceeded to fly toward a huge open field. At 2,500 feet my video began to flicker and I received a poor transmission signal. Of course I got scared, turned it around, and headed back As I neared home the signal was 100% and the warning went away. And for added insurance I used Tom's Tech Time wind surfers that I had made. Please advise what I can do about more distance and signal.

There are many that have gone great distances. I am building my set up to improve my signal under all conditions. City interference is the biggest problem to deal with. Here is my best flight so far.

OK guys. Please tell me what I am doing wrong. I have the DJI Phantom 3 Advanced. Today I decided that THIS was the day I was going to fly out of site. I live in a fairly flat area. I took the drone up to about 150 feet and proceeded to fly toward a huge open field. At 2,500 feet my video began to flicker and I received a poor transmission signal. Of course I got scared, turned it around, and headed back As I neared home the signal was 100% and the warning went away. And for added insurance I used Tom's Tech Time wind surfers that I had made. Please advise what I can do about more distance and signal.
Were the parabolics aimed DIRECTLY towards the Phantom? Antennas aligned parallel to each other? And at a 90 degree angle? Was there power lines/cell towers nearby?

Thank you so much! Not sure what I was thinking. I did all of the above and even added Tom's Tech Time antennas on a second attempt with the same result. However, I was sitting on my patio table with the RC/antennas pointed about 45 degrees off. I will try the same flight and correct my mistake. I will report the results. Thanks again.

Well for starters if you wanna go more than 2500 feet out you can't stop and her scared as soon as you loose signal.. Often what happends when your signal drops out is the controller will look for a new/better channel/s to choose for better and farther range.. I'll usually stop, wait, and it will reconnect with full bars again.. Once I have full bars and I can tell my live feed is smooth and not choppy I will continue.. I live near a bunch of other houses and trees, all my naibors have wifi and I have thick woods and trees surrounding me.. I still manage to hit 6000-6500 feet on a daily basis with my phantom 3 advanced.. I will usually loose connection or have poor connection at least 1-2 times sometimes even 3 times.. But if you just wait it out, 90% of the time it will reconnect with a new channel and you should be able to go at least twice the distance you went before..

Try this out and let us know how you make out.. If that doesn't work then check for cell towers or radio towers and stuff like that in your area, j have a radio tower near me and whenever I come with in 200 or so feet of it my video feed signal drops to nearly 1 bar even tho it's only about 900feet from my home point.. But as long as I stay away from the tower as I said above I will generally see 6,000+ feet all day, and even more than that with a clear view. But I always have a ton of trees Infront of me blocking my signal.

One more tip, make sure your antenna are parallel to one another.. And not close or touching .. Also make sure that the tablet your using does not have wifi enabled .. I always disable my wifi and my Bluetooth whenever I fly and I found that it helps tremendously with range by just having wifi disabled on my iPad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The further you fly out, try increasing your Phantom's height. 150 feet is only about 50meters altitude which isnt a lot when you're getting a mile or more out.
Increase your height as you are flying further out to say 250-400feet (100+ meters), and, providing you have no obstacles between you, your antenna's are aligned correctly, and point your RC in the direction of the Phantom, and there are no other sources of possible signal interference, then you should easily be able to fly out 3 to 4kms before needing to turn back due to battery power remaining.
Obviously, always keep an eye on your battery level and always keep in mind that the further out you are, the more battery u need to get back safely..! [emoji1360]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Digdat0

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl