Real estate for rookies

Well, rougue, is the few... so really... I'm not in the few, cause most people do it this way. :)
Fortunately not everybody fly recklessly with no consideration for safety of persons and property. As a CAA certified RP, I try to help those who don't know about how the things work beyond pushing on the sticks, but it seems to be a difficult task in some instances.

Reactions: dataway
You really need to know if the airspace you're in is controlled or not if you're flying at that height, despite the fact that we're limited to 400ft AGL (but let's not go there).
I used to make a living flying airplanes. A good deal of the professional flying I did was in uncontrolled airspace. Controlled or uncontrolled makes no difference. There is the potential for other air traffic everywhere. At least here in the states there is.

Insurance aside, someone also stated earlier something like that it is hard to go to jail for anything to do with drones. Sorry but I disagree, I would hate to be the first person to bring down a manned plane even by accident, because I am sure the FAA etc wouldn't be impressed.
You can disagree all you like, but you'd still be wrong. The FAA does not have the means nor the power to jail anyone. Fines and certificate actions are their only tools for punishment.

Reactions: Vanjo Grale
Like others have said, don't over use the aerial shots and outside shots, people want to see what the place looks like inside, and if you have a sports car and a couple of Russian models it doesn't hurt ;)

Are the Russian models and the Beemer included in the Villa rental? :D

Reactions: 02oilburner
Well that's his own fault. Like i said, ignorance is no excuse and my other point was yes you can go to jail for doing dumb stuff with a drone. I didn't actually say the FAA would put him there, I said they wouldn't be impressed.

When push comes to shove, the end result of irresponsible actions is still the same. Possible jail time. I don't think that guy will care about the techicalities whether it was the FAA or Santa Claus who could put him there to be honest, just that may lose his freedom. :)

Reactions: witold
Fortunately not everybody fly recklessly with no consideration for safety of persons and property. As a CAA certified RP, I try to help those who don't know about how the things work beyond pushing on the sticks, but it seems to be a difficult task in some instances.

Yes.. it seems that everyone, including you, is a more responsible flyer than everyone else... its' funny how that works.

Well that's his own fault. Like i said, ignorance is no excuse and my other point was yes you can go to jail for doing dumb stuff with a drone. I didn't actually say the FAA would put him there, I said they wouldn't be impressed.

When push comes to shove, the end result of irresponsible actions is still the same. Possible jail time. I don't think that guy will care about the techicalities whether it was the FAA or Santa Claus who could put him there to be honest, just that may lose his freedom. :)
Yep great. Annnnndddddd getting back to the point, how exactly would having a 333 have changed anything in that case?

Reactions: Bryce
Yep great. Annnnndddddd getting back to the point, how exactly would having a 333 have changed anything in that case?

This is easy... because they would have asked him for his credentials... he would have whipped out his '333' card.... shown it to them... and all would have been ok.

Fly outside using the new features and take the props off and run through the house with it on so the gimbal still functions and you get a nice steady shot just like you're flying through the house. I know they can fly inside but their is no real need for the risk unless you have a legitimate need to actually fly it indoors. A run through without the props will be better.
No need to even take the props off, unless you want to be overly cautious. It's imposible to accidentally take off by touching the screen, because of the secondary slider move required. Just yaw with your hands, and film away, after turning on the RC, the bird, the iPad, and setting the desired gimbal angle and hitting record.

Reactions: Scottish Terrier
Wow, some of you it seems this work fell right in your lap. I wish I could say the same for myself. I've been trying to do a little side business with my Phantom for quite a number of months now. I printed up some business cards, flyers and setup a decent webpage with a small photo gallery of homes I've done aerial photos of for fun. I mailed out like 60 flyers to various real estate agents and not even 1 call or inquiry from any of them. What a bummer.
You need to go pound the pavement and get face to face with your prospects. Go to open houses. Go into real estate offices. Ask them what they are doing now. Offer the first one free. Direct mail flyers have a 1/1000 rate of return typically. 60 is a waste of time. See if the office manager will let you make presentation at their weekly sales meeting. Find out when the weekly brokers' caravan is, and follow the agents around into each new open house. It's just marketing, but its active, not passive.:cool:

Last edited:
Just popped back in here to see how this thread is going, mainly over concern and interest in this subject.

Look i get some people don't agree with the current laws (me included to some extent) but what I am concerned about more is trying to give helpful advice for people to be safe under the current laws to prevent accidents.

Let me give you an example. Before I was qualified I used to fly my Phantom along a very quiet local beach. Nobody around so I thought ok to fly. After doing my CASA training and learned how to read VNC maps I was shocked to find that most of the airspace in my local area is controlled. Most of it is R rated meaning restricted. I found out that to mean military training flights after looking up the ERSA. I also found out that the beach is in a VFR flight path (visual flight rules), meaning there would be light aircraft in the area. Now had I gone up to 1500 feet as you're suggesting even with nobody around I would have been in a whole heap of trouble if something had happened. Fortunately I didn't go above 400ft and never have, but at least now I know that it is important to be aware of your surroundings even if nobody is around. You really need to know if the airspace you're in is controlled or not if you're flying at that height, despite the fact that we're limited to 400ft AGL (but let's not go there).

I know I was comparing apples to bicycles earlier but it was simply a vague analogy to help people understand. From what people have stated since I guess it's a bit like the excess on your car insurance, you still pay a bit even if you're insured. I also understand that there are different rules for different countries - I can only comment on what I know of Australian law.

Insurance aside, someone also stated earlier something like that it is hard to go to jail for anything to do with drones. Sorry but I disagree, I would hate to be the first person to bring down a manned plane even by accident, because I am sure the FAA etc wouldn't be impressed. After all, the FAA/CASA etc all state ignorance is no excuse. It's hard to say what legal ramifications of bringing down a manned aircraft may be but I am sure it won't be pretty. You just have to look at all the news articles about people flying near airports to see that dangerous flights aren't tolerated. I really hope that never happens for all of our sakes.

As for my earlier posts, I'm no policeman, just a CASA certified pilot trying to offer informed advice on a forum, which is what forums are for. At the end of the day you take your risks, it's your life mate. No harm intended.
Not sure if he meant flying OUT 1,500 feet as opposed to 1,500 feet above ground. At 1,500 feet above ground, it's pretty hard to follow a golfer with a 20mm equivalent lens, let alone a golf ball. You make good points about knowing about all potential aircraft flying in or nearby the airspace you intend to occupy. However, anyone who seriously thinks that one of our 2.5 pound P3P's is going to take out another aircraft is being overly dramatic. Birds and ice chunks dropping off other aircraft are just as unlikely to do major damage, but no one is banning birds from flying through their airspace, or limiting their altitude. It takes a whole flock of birds to take down an aircraft, and even that is a very rare occurence. The most likely scenario of drone v. airplane is drone is obliterated, just like a bird would be, and aiplane paint might be scratched. Anything else would be a freak accident requiring a perfect storm. There has never been one yet, despite all the hysteria created over this scenario. Avoid all occupied airspace, but if it happens, it will be like a mosquito being swatted. The flyswatter won't need replacing!:cool: It would be like a bicyclist taking out a bus. In any collision between a bicyclist and a bus, the bus is always going to win. Crunch! Later, "Oh look, the paint is scratched."

Last edited:
You've got to think that discussion about potential drone/aircraft interactions in a thread about real estate photography means that things have gone somewhat off topic.
Sharing airspace with real planes would have to be the last concern for someone shooting pics of a house.

Yes.. it seems that everyone, including you, is a more responsible flyer than everyone else... its' funny how that works.
Not everyone else, just you, which is not difficult at all... Please do not hesitate to ask questions about flying safely and responsibly.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Can't comment on US law but in Aus he would still be up the proverbial creek
I can comment on the US. It wouldn't help in the slightest. Like I've said earlier, I'm all for people doing things the right way, being a safety manager is part of what I currently do at work so doing things the right way every time is usually my default stance on any given topic.

But I've gotten to the point where I weigh the requirements of what the FAA is currently asking which is huge if you're not already a certified pilot of some sort. Then I look at the benefits of jumping through the hoops and there are very few if your only expectation is shooting some real estate or doing some aerial survey or B-roll footage here and there to help offset the cost of your equipment. And then I look at what will happen if the FAA finds out you're doing commercial ops without a 333, which is basically not even a wrist slap at this point and I just fail to see how the risk/reward scale tips toward getting a 333 for most people at this point.

I realize many people will disagree with me on that assessment at this point and they're entitled to that. I still feel how I feel about it.

You've got to think that discussion about potential drone/aircraft interactions in a thread about real estate photography means that things have gone somewhat off topic.
Sharing airspace with real planes would have to be the last concern for someone shooting pics of a house.
Exactly. You show me a drone that is shooting a house for a realtor and makes contact with an airplane while doing it, and I'll show you an airplane that was seconds from making contact with something hard regardless of whether that drone was in the air or not.

A neighbor's house just went up for sale, under duress (lost job & impending divorce). I am considering taking some photos and vids for him to put up on his listing, just as a favor... No charge. I would offer mostly for selfish reasons: I love flying & areal photography, and I want him to get maximum possible price since his home's resale price impacts my home's value.

Would I be breaking the law if I did a shoot, put the images & videos on a thumb drive?

A neighbor's house just went up for sale, under duress (lost job & impending divorce). I am considering taking some photos and vids for him to put up on his listing, just as a favor... No charge. I would offer mostly for selfish reasons: I love flying & areal photography, and I want him to get maximum possible price since his home's resale price impacts my home's value.

Would I be breaking the law if I did a shoot, put the images & videos on a thumb drive?
If you do it as a favour/gift to a friend, it is not a business, so you do not break that law IMO.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4