RAW is processed, JPG is not

Don't think that you are the only couple of serious or professional photographers on the forum.
There are many people with a great deal of photographic knowledge and experience here - but they don't all feel the need to claim special status because of it.
Having people disagree with you is not the same as being rude or disrespectful.
[/QUOTE]

Don´t be simplistic. Disagree as much as you want, but give your opinion with respect. Calling us that we are obsessed is disrespectful to me.
And then again I honestly don´t understand the people who still disagree, who are so happy with their result and still in this thread.

Why have you not adopted a raw workflow? And why did you not mention this when I clearly stated pages ago that working with raw files requires a proper workflow?

If you insist on dropping this crucial step, you must at all times have two parameters absolutely correct on capture: exposure and whitebalance.

www.ricardo-urroz.com that´s my work. And that I don´t follow a series of steps that doesn´t make me wrong. I know how to manipulate a file without necessarily going through ACR

ok then this whole **** thread is pointless. Its based on a flawed workflow and an obsession with 'flat' RAW files.

Again. Any file I've ever edited - comes in looking processed. From a cheap compact to my 1DXii. Sure there may be some nuances with switchable profiles, but I have never looked at any of my images and thought they were 'wrong' RAW's.

In fact - as a personal note - After a shoot and I have possibly a few hundred images. I am very grateful to the profile because it means I don't have to spend long tweaking every photo. I can make changes but they usually are subtle - unless I'm going for an effect.

The only one obsessed here is you. Your files are amazing, don´t understand why you still in this thread. I don´t follow a GOD given workflow so I most be so stupid and terribly wrong, but you are perfect so why are you still ere. That´s someone obsessed to keep trying to prove someone wrong.

I am awaiting the 'you don't understand' and 'my files don't look flat enough' comments....

Looking back at my online client gallery stats where I sent my work to clients, I've now edited, uploaded and delivered (and been paid for) 69396 images. I've never once thought about the word 'flat' when editing. Whether it be in Aperture (RIP) or Lightroom or even iPhoto (RIP). Enough now.

If you are in the UK and you want to bring your P4P to my house and we can shoot the same shot on each of our P4P's then please let me know. I am a lot closer than China.

Also. I think this makes the case for buying from a reputable dealer who can support you. For me this is a part of my kit and I need support, so buying online from a box-shifter wasn't an option. We know DJI support is sketchy but if I have a problem with my P4P I will go back to my dealer and we will look at the issue together - possibly comparing to another from their stock.

In the last week all I see is 2 people who possibly are misunderstanding how to edit photos and how to use a file correctly trying to convince themselves there is an issue and convince others there is an issue.

Several of us who are jobbing professionals have tried to help - uploaded files and so on yet this still hasn't helped yield an answer.

On this post there are enough demo files to look at, there's enough screenshots to look at, there is enough here that IF there was a problem with the camera the issue would be way more widespread.

I'm sorry to say but I think this really is user error, and has hit the point of despair for those who are not affected by what seems to be lack of knowledge or a mishandling of files/workflow.

Also, rather oddly is that this just seems to be a discussion based on someones 'principles' that they are not prepared to adjust the RAW file unless it initially looks a certain way. This is ignorant and belligerent.

As many of us have suggested -and offered support for this the only logical conclusion we can draw is that the OP is either not able to comprehend a RAW workflow OR they need to get their P4P replaced. OR the need to go out and enjoy the **** thing and work around its nuances. Every camera has them. NO camera is perfect. Not one. There are always quirks.
It's understanding how to get the best from them that takes the time.

If you were trying to help, I suggest you dont get frustrated and relax your tone. If I or some of us are so dense and stupid that we "don´t understand, let us be. And if you are agressive just because you think you are the **** and you are so good then good luck to you. Because this is not a battle thread heheh this would be the last (at least from me) time I answer anything to you. Zero tact you have. And you shared your work with me, I share mine with you www.ricardo-urroz.com
goodbye.

This is not big deal but ADOBE most be crazy to have mentioned me even like one of the best photographers in the world in the WPC even knowing I don´t follow religiously a workflow. It´s so wrong to think that there´s only one way to achieve a result. Anyways. Discussion is useless and fighting is boring. I won´t engage further in stupid discussions or rude people. I will only answer to whomever want to bring something to the table and not attack. What Thomas mentioned about the Camera profile on Camera Calibration having embedded a profile is what makes the most sense to me up to date.

Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 10.03.24 AM.png

Hi everyone, I'm sorry there is a bit of aggression happening in this thread, but I'm glad there's still a desire to get some clarity regardless :)

Anyway, here's a quick screen grab that sums up my experience and what I'm unhappy with. The image on the right is a jpeg from my P4P, but more importantly it represents what my monitor (not to mention the app's histogram) displays when I'm shooting. The DNG on the left is what I'm presented with once I bring it into ACR.

This is my problem, it seems unnecessary and counter-intuitive to shooting/post-production. YES, I'm aware I can (and will) start pushing things around in ACR to get a desired look. Nonetheless, it's a bizarre working process to shoot & expose seeing useable exposure on the controller's monitor, only to bring it in for a post process and see the image on the left. Again, I don't have a deep knowledge of PS, LR or ACR, but these tools aren't dramatically different than color-grading tools I'm used to for video.

Btw, this image is only a crude test, it was raining outside at the time :) Cheers

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-21 at 6.15.34 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-01-21 at 6.15.34 PM.jpg
    533.4 KB · Views: 643
This is not big deal but ADOBE most be crazy to have mentioned me even like one of the best photographers in the world in the WPC even knowing I don´t follow religiously a workflow. It´s so wrong to think that there´s only one way to achieve a result. Anyways. Discussion is useless and fighting is boring. I won´t engage further in stupid discussions or rude people. I will only answer to whomever want to bring something to the table and not attack. What Thomas mentioned about the Camera profile on Camera Calibration having embedded a profile is what makes the most sense to me up to date.

View attachment 74187
You mean exactly what I posted about with screen shots in post number 106 and talked about the embedded profile?

It does seem that you only want to read what you think will support your argument. ALL the way back to post 106 and I show the embedded ACR profile. Yes... we know you don't used ACR but you do - by using Lightroom. When you go from LR to Photoshop you're using ACR.. etc etc ad nauseam.

You mean exactly what I posted about with screen shots in post number 106 and talked about the embedded profile?

It does seem that you only want to read what you think will support your argument. ALL the way back to post 106 and I show the embedded ACR profile. Yes... we know you don't used ACR but you do - by using Lightroom. When you go from LR to Photoshop you're using ACR.. etc etc ad nauseam.

Sure you are right. From now on you will always be right. Thanks for sharing your infinite wisdom.

mars-attacks-nicholson-get-along.gif

I find it very disappointing that a few of you can't seem to act like adults and instead would prefer to act like little children without their afternoon nap. Just because it's the internet it does not give anyone a pass to be rude to others. If this petty bickering doesn't end, the thread will and warnings will be handed out. If you have constructive input feel free to post, if you are making post to argue or belittle just stop now.

Last warning.

OK. @RicardoUK, you need to take it down a notch. This is an informal warning. I am telling you this as a moderator. Maybe some people still don't understand your issue. Maybe some people disagree with you. People are trying to understand what it is you are saying is wrong. People are trying to offer suggestions. People are trying to help and that is the purpose of this forum. If you think someone is being rude or incorrect, ignore them. Do not engage in a tit for tat argument. It is not accepted.

I advise you and everyone else on this thread to refresh themselves on the Community Guidelines

Despite your esteemed career (and please note there are others who have been recognized for their work as well) there are elements of some of your posts that suggest you many not fully get some of the limitations of a new RAW workflow including metadata that is not set or read properly by ACR or other tools. Maybe it is a language issue. Maybe not. I suggest you try some of the suggestions here and if there are workarounds, use them. The process is not perfect.

Maybe your hardware is defective. Maybe it's something unique in the workflow. Or maybe all the rest of us forgot how RAW works (doubtful). Point being, there are many possibilities and not everyone is insisting you are wrong. They are trying to help.

I mentioned way back in this thread how The Inspire 1 and X5R CinemaDNG always import dark into Davinci. There's nothing lost. Just a bad initial setting that needs to be adjusted. It's annoying but it can be worked around. Hopefully, between DJI and Adobe, it gets fixed.

Hi everyone, I'm sorry there is a bit of aggression happening in this thread, but I'm glad there's still a desire to get some clarity regardless :)

Anyway, here's a quick screen grab that sums up my experience and what I'm unhappy with. The image on the right is a jpeg from my P4P, but more importantly it represents what my monitor (not to mention the app's histogram) displays when I'm shooting. The DNG on the left is what I'm presented with once I bring it into ACR.

This is my problem, it seems unnecessary and counter-intuitive to shooting/post-production. YES, I'm aware I can (and will) start pushing things around in ACR to get a desired look. Nonetheless, it's a bizarre working process to shoot & expose seeing useable exposure on the controller's monitor, only to bring it in for a post process and see the image on the left. Again, I don't have a deep knowledge of PS, LR or ACR, but these tools aren't dramatically different than color-grading tools I'm used to for video.

Btw, this image is only a crude test, it was raining outside at the time :) Cheers

ok now THIS is something else. Now we are discussing how we can get a proper exposed shot if what we see as a preview is totally different to what we get in the edit. I agree that this needs looking into - although have a reset of everything and then re-flash the firmware and see if that helps.

I just also looked back in ACR at the files I shot this morning. The X5, X3 and P4P DNG files. The only one that has lens corrections that are correctly applied is the X3. The others are not supported (yet). This is lens corrections though. They all use an 'embedded' profile.

I don't think we should hold our breaths for Adobe to update their RAW engine any time soon - the X3 has been out for a while now, but so has the X5 and there's no profile for that either.
From what I can see the only profiles for lens corrections/DJI are the following (see image)

All of these have a bespoke Adobe colour profile. Not other models/lenses as yet.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 20.54.23.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 20.54.23.png
    47.2 KB · Views: 364
I mentioned way back in this thread how The Inspire 1 and X5R CinemaDNG always import dark into Davinci. There's nothing lost. Just a bad initial setting that needs to be adjusted. It's annoying but it can be worked around. Hopefully, between DJI and Adobe, it gets fixed.
This. Please realize that until your adobe software is updated with the info for the p4p it will use a default that will make the initial image be likely different from how it looked when you shot it. That doesn't mean there is something wrong with it. Your start point will be off because adobe hasn't gotten this camera into their program yet.

You could also change the default yourself as someone already explained.

Reactions: Meta4
I think the only solution I have for my issue is to wait for Adobe to update their profiles or to Dji release a firmware update where the Dng files are compatible with the existing ACR.

ok now THIS is something else. Now we are discussing how we can get a proper exposed shot if what we see as a preview is totally different to what we get in the edit. I agree that this needs looking into - although have a reset of everything and then re-flash the firmware and see if that helps.

I guess I thought this was the same issue that began this thread??? Regardless thank you for the recommendation, I reinstalled the firmware and reset the camera settings. Looks like the same results, the image on the right being the jpeg/preview with a custom D-Cinelike setting (-1/-3/-2), on the left is the DNG with no slider adjustments. Look at that contrast and saturation, wow!

I will also stop posting unless some new info develops, I realize this thread is about to eat its own tail

Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 11.50.48 AM.jpg

I guess I thought this was the same issue that began this thread??? Regardless thank you for the recommendation, I reinstalled the firmware and reset the camera settings. Looks like the same results, the image on the right being the jpeg/preview with a custom D-Cinelike setting (-1/-3/-2), on the left is the DNG with no slider adjustments. Look at that contrast and saturation, wow!

I will also stop posting unless some new info develops, I realize this thread is about to eat its own tail

View attachment 74218
The selected profile is applied to the jpeg and not the dng. Lift shadows and reduce contrast as needed on the dng, it contains all the information but with a default gamma which might seem aggressive.

View attachment 74218

Ok. You didn't mention that you had a profile set. So not to go on again. But you're comparing a JPEG shot with a profile baked in and custom colour set. You are exposing your image with a preset already enabled and this is what you're seeing. It's skewing your settings and preview in the app.

You cannot judge a correct exposure etc using any of the inbuilt colour profiles. They are for videos and JPEGS. Remove them. And shoot again.

Shoot with NONE and 0,0,0.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor