RAW is processed, JPG is not

Now the thing would be how to be able to change that hehe

Exactly, I'm really hoping this is a software issue that can be resolved with some kind of update either through Adobe or as firmware for the camera...

Exactly, I'm really hoping this is a software issue that can be resolved with some kind of update either through Adobe or as firmware for the camera...

I really hope so too. Although DNG are not useless they are limiting us a lot on the changes we can make. I think that will be it, a software update or Firmware update. Either way I am still pressuring DJI.

Hi all (agent55 @ DJi forum), I've had this issue as well: the bizarre occurrence of my DNG files opening up in PS or LR and appearing really contrasty and underexposed from what I shot. Meanwhile the jpg maintains the flat settings I designated through the app. I am not a pro photographer, however I do make a living as a cinematographer and thought the P4P seemed a nice way to get into aerial as a hobby, perhaps more. Based on video tests I've done with my P4P, it's fairly intuitive to expose images nicely using a combination of the histogram, zebras and my eye with this drone camera. Which is why these crushed and somewhat darkened DNGs are so odd. Bottom line is this: Video has turned out how I've exposed it, jpeg's have turned out how I've exposed them, yet DNG files have not turned out how I shot them.

Question: has anyone that feels they're not experiencing this provided files to download and test? Cheers

I am seeing the same problem and you perfectly explained what I am seeing as well.
But my hope is once Adobe get the lens profile it may help the issue.

I am seeing the same problem and you perfectly explained what I am seeing as well.
But my hope is once Adobe get the lens profile it may help the issue.

Agreed, although I wonder if the lack of a choice under "camera calibration" in ACR may be part of the issue as well. When I'm monitoring and exposing in D-Log, I want my starting DNG to reflect that dammit ;)

Agreed, although I wonder if the lack of a choice under "camera calibration" in ACR may be part of the issue as well. When I'm monitoring and exposing in D-Log, I want my starting DNG to reflect that dammit ;)

Agreed!

And what I don't get is why P4 or P3 Pro never showed this problem. I hope something comes up soon.

That´s a good observation. I didn´t because when I work with my RAW files from DSLR´s I use lightroom just to make my selection and that´s it. And from there straight to Photoshop. I never use ACR although I know how to use it. But I did check it as you did and makes a lot of sense I think. That could maybe be causing the problem. Now the thing would be how to be able to change that hehe

We have been through this.

ACR is still used by LR. Just that it doesn't open as ACR - but it's still in operation. It's using ACR as its base RAW processor even though you don't see it. It's part of the LR architecture.

Again. Why would you be wanting to expose for dlog? Why would you need to have a DNG that looks like that?

The profile settings are for video. They are baked into JPEGS.

A flat profile is not a better profile it's just a look.

What is this obsession with the DNG needing to look flat.

No one here bar 3 people thing there's anything wrong with your DNG files. I sent 3 files yesterday that I think are the same and showing what you think is a problem. All DJI RAW files from 3 different DJI products.

This is the same as my top of the line DSLR. Comes out looking processed. Usually I'm glad for this because it's a good start to adjust.

It seems you've got an obsession with this 'flat' idea. Everything has to be 'flat'. Flat is something brought up when discussing video editing. Something else which people think is always better.

Again. The colour profiles in the app ARE FOR VIDEO and will affect JPEG output.

If there was a setting to make the scene flat and in blue with spots it will NOT affect the RAW. People need to understand this basic thing.

If Adobe decide to embed this profile into ACR then yes. Your PREVIEW might show it but it's still just an overlay.

Remarkably we seemed to be getting somewhere. Then someone chips in with this idea of a flat profile and it seems that we go back to the start again.

I wish you lived local. I'm fascinated to do a side by side comparison of this apparent faulty DNG shooting drone.

I'm even more convinced that now what you're seeing is down to an obsession to prove a bizarre theory right, lack of knowledge and misinformation and a badly calibrated computer screen. Is your screen calibrated?

Reactions: PhantomPhilip
Again. Why would you be wanting to expose for dlog? Why would you need to have a DNG that looks like that?

The profile settings are for video. They are baked into JPEGS.

A flat profile is not a better profile it's just a look.

What is this obsession with the DNG needing to look flat.

No one here bar 3 people thing there's anything wrong with your DNG files. I sent 3 files yesterday that I think are the same and showing what you think is a problem. All DJI RAW files from 3 different DJI products.

This is the same as my top of the line DSLR. Comes out looking processed. Usually I'm glad for this because it's a good start to adjust.

It seems you've got an obsession with this 'flat' idea. Everything has to be 'flat'. Flat is something brought up when discussing video editing. Something else which people think is always better.

Again. The colour profiles in the app ARE FOR VIDEO and will affect JPEG output.

If there was a setting to make the scene flat and in blue with spots it will NOT affect the RAW. People need to understand this basic thing.

If Adobe decide to embed this profile into ACR then yes. Your PREVIEW might show it but it's still just an overlay.

Remarkably we seemed to be getting somewhere. Then someone chips in with this idea of a flat profile and it seems that we go back to the start again.

I wish you lived local. I'm fascinated to do a side by side comparison of this apparent faulty DNG shooting drone.

I'm even more convinced that now what you're seeing is down to an obsession to prove a bizarre theory right, lack of knowledge and misinformation and a badly calibrated computer screen. Is your screen calibrated?

Is not an obsession and you are being VERY RUDE. Respect if we like to start working with FLAT DNG, that´s our business. You are clearly NOT a photographer and you like working with processed JPG´s or DNG. WE DON´T!!!!!! RESPECT THAT!!!!!

Is not an obsession and you are being VERY RUDE. Respect if we like to start working with FLAT DNG, that´s our business. You are clearly NOT a photographer and you like working with processed JPG´s or DNG. WE DON´T!!!!!! RESPECT THAT!!!!!
Don't think that you are the only couple of serious or professional photographers on the forum.
There are many people with a great deal of photographic knowledge and experience here - but they don't all feel the need to claim special status because of it.
Having people disagree with you is not the same as being rude or disrespectful.[/QUOTE]

Don't think that you are the only couple of serious or professional photographers on the forum.
There are many people with a great deal of photographic knowledge and experience here - but they don't all feel the need to claim special status because of it.
Having people disagree with you is not the same as being rude or disrespectful.
[/QUOTE]

Judge for yourself. I'll say nothing.

www.satureyes.com

Oh I spent about an hour reading this thread last night to catch up haha :/

One thing I've noticed messing with PS trying to remove whatever god awful "look" is being applied to these DNG's, is under the Camera Calibration>Camera Profile menu in ACR 9.8. The only choice is "Embedded" with these DNG files from my P4P. However, I opened up a few raw images from my Canon 6d and noticed you can chose between "Adobe Standard" as well as all the 6d Picture Styles as a starting point. I'm by no means a PS expert AT ALL, but could this fixed "Embedded" setting be the culprit?
That´s a good observation. I didn´t because when I work with my RAW files from DSLR´s I use lightroom just to make my selection and that´s it. And from there straight to Photoshop. I never use ACR although I know how to use it. But I did check it as you did and makes a lot of sense I think. That could maybe be causing the problem. Now the thing would be how to be able to change that hehe
I think this is what was said in post #104 back on page 6 (and possibly/probably other posts since).
Do we want to take it round the block a few more times or wait for the next update to Adobe Camera Raw to come out with a specific lens profile for the P4 pro?

I didn´t because when I work with my RAW files from DSLR´s I use lightroom just to make my selection and that´s it. And from there straight to Photoshop. I never use ACR although I know how to use it.
Why have you not adopted a raw workflow? And why did you not mention this when I clearly stated pages ago that working with raw files requires a proper workflow?

If you insist on dropping this crucial step, you must at all times have two parameters absolutely correct on capture: exposure and whitebalance.

Why have you not adopted a raw workflow? And why did you not mention this when I clearly stated pages ago that working with raw files requires a proper workflow?

If you insist on dropping this crucial step, you must at all times have two parameters absolutely correct on capture: exposure and whitebalance.

He has adopted one. He wants the initial preview of his Raw's to be flatter. Obsessively.

If he's using LR and shooting RAW he's got a workflow. I don't actually understand your comment. Because he doesn't use ACR is irrelevant because LR is based on ACR.

If he's using LR and shooting RAW he's got a workflow. I don't actually understand your comment. Because he doesn't use ACR is irrelevant because LR is based on ACR.
Using lightroom to select a file is using lightroom as a file-explorer.

Err yes and it's using ACR to decode the raw files?

Is he not editing them in LR?
Read the initial comment i am quoting. He sais he is using Lightroom to select the file (ie making no adjustments) and then "straight to photoshop" which equals skipping the whole raw workflow.

Reactions: F3honda4me
Read the initial comment i am quoting. He sais he is using Lightroom to select the file (ie making no adjustments) and then "straight to photoshop" which equals skipping the whole raw workflow.
ok then this whole **** thread is pointless. Its based on a flawed workflow and an obsession with 'flat' RAW files.

Again. Any file I've ever edited - comes in looking processed. From a cheap compact to my 1DXii. Sure there may be some nuances with switchable profiles, but I have never looked at any of my images and thought they were 'wrong' RAW's.

In fact - as a personal note - After a shoot and I have possibly a few hundred images. I am very grateful to the profile because it means I don't have to spend long tweaking every photo. I can make changes but they usually are subtle - unless I'm going for an effect.

ok then this whole **** thread is pointless. Its based on a floored workflow and an obsession with 'flat' RAW files.

Again. Any file I've ever edited - comes in looking processed. From a cheap compact to my 1DXii. Sure there may be some nuances with switchable profiles, but I have never looked at any of my images and thought they were 'wrong' RAW's.

In fact - as a personal note - After a shoot and I have possibly a few hundred images. I am very grateful to the profile because it means I don't have to spend long tweaking every photo. I can make changes but they usually are subtle - unless I'm going for an effect.
In deed, I think there is nothing more to add here as we have been discussing raw with a JPEG workflow. Explains a lot, though.

In deed, I think there is nothing more to add here as we have been discussing raw with a JPEG workflow. Explains a lot, though.
I am awaiting the 'you don't understand' and 'my files don't look flat enough' comments....

Looking back at my online client gallery stats where I sent my work to clients, I've now edited, uploaded and delivered (and been paid for) 69396 images. I've never once thought about the word 'flat' when editing. Whether it be in Aperture (RIP) or Lightroom or even iPhoto (RIP). Enough now.

If you are in the UK and you want to bring your P4P to my house and we can shoot the same shot on each of our P4P's then please let me know. I am a lot closer than China.

Also. I think this makes the case for buying from a reputable dealer who can support you. For me this is a part of my kit and I need support, so buying online from a box-shifter wasn't an option. We know DJI support is sketchy but if I have a problem with my P4P I will go back to my dealer and we will look at the issue together - possibly comparing to another from their stock.

In the last week all I see is 2 people who possibly are misunderstanding how to edit photos and how to use a file correctly trying to convince themselves there is an issue and convince others there is an issue.

Several of us who are jobbing professionals have tried to help - uploaded files and so on yet this still hasn't helped yield an answer.

On this post there are enough demo files to look at, there's enough screenshots to look at, there is enough here that IF there was a problem with the camera the issue would be way more widespread.

I'm sorry to say but I think this really is user error, and has hit the point of despair for those who are not affected by what seems to be lack of knowledge or a mishandling of files/workflow.

Also, rather oddly is that this just seems to be a discussion based on someones 'principles' that they are not prepared to adjust the RAW file unless it initially looks a certain way. This is ignorant and belligerent.

As many of us have suggested -and offered support for this the only logical conclusion we can draw is that the OP is either not able to comprehend a RAW workflow OR they need to get their P4P replaced. OR the need to go out and enjoy the **** thing and work around its nuances. Every camera has them. NO camera is perfect. Not one. There are always quirks.
It's understanding how to get the best from them that takes the time.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z