RANGE? Immersion 600mw tx, with Spironets

Bumping this forward for others to enter their info; https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuC1rwaqupIYdDlDeVAtcHZaZEJnbmZFM2VwOU1acVE&usp=sharing
Just did 2 short flights this morning before the winds of hell started to blow. I just went out a little over 750 meters @ 25 meters, and turned around-without loss of RC this time!!! Also, maintained good video throughout most of the turn.
Now running the Spironet CP on both the aircraft's VTX, and monitor/RX.
I would have gone further...but, something told me it was time to come back-and I did. About 5 minutes after I landing-the winds went from 5mph to 25mph!!!

Question; Does anyone know a Radio Technician/Expert? What I wanting is someone that has a clue, to test one of these transmitters-and give us the actual reading of the true MW ratings, on each channel.
I have a link to a page that had that information on it-but, I question it's accuracy because it's a bit dated, and I think those like me, with the Boscam TS-832(600 mw?), have newer versions of transmitters, that honestly, I haven't seen anyone test.

How hard can it be? Isn't there like a meter or something that you can plug into the antenna port on the VTX and test the power?

Also, I'm trying to come up with a ratio of altitude Vs. Distance. It's starting to look, for me anyways, like about .1 : 1
So, if I go 10 meters, I should have video and RC control to 100M. At 103M, I had control and video to past 1000M.

I realize there are a lot of variables that have to do with the Fresnel Zone. But-there is a "simple" solution to eliminate our difference due to terrain-fly over water.
Yea...I know-I don't see that happening on my end. But, it would eliminate the influence that terrain has on blocking or bounding our signals around.

Last; Who had the Giant Motorola Canopy Patch Antenna?? How's that working out? Can't even find one on E-bay...where would you find something like that?
1 more thing; is there anyone out there using the Lilliput 664/7" monitor? Results, and is it worth the price?
Here's the link; http://www.amazon.com/Lilliput-664-1280x800-Receiver-Photography/dp/B00F2O3PY2

I think you would just have to order the parts separately for a few £ more thought you could ask if he would bundle them up (perhaps he can add the option).

This is slightly cheaper as does not have the Nimrod on the RX end since it shouldnt need the same level of protection. It is the same aerial though in all other senses.

Problem was that these BPs seem to vary - I believe UK sources BPs are all SMA so this bundle seems to be fairly straightforward but aware that for others adapters will be needed and quickly starts to get complicated. (I say this but my BP is yet to arrive, FirstPersonview.co.uk have assured me it is SMA though)

AlanK said:
So your not using the Nimrods at all then and just the blackhawk for this range?

I cant seem to actually order the blackhawk/nimrod combo 'without' the 90 degree bend so got an email into them to ask about that.

Do you think without the 90bend it would stick far enough out to the side to be bent down simmilar to your Fatshark aerial or would you recommend the fatshark/spironet combo anyway?

FPVHorizons have an odd ordering system. Make sure you click the options button rather than the order button and then you can specify what you want.

If your going to get a Nimrod to stick out the side of the quad then I would measure how long you want it to project and then specify that length when you order it. He does make bespoke antennas for people. I have no wish to cast doubt on the Nimrod its just that its much too short for what I want.

My mate Dave Odyer (forum member) flew his today using my Nimrod on his Fatshark goggles and one of my Fatshark spironets on his quad poking out the side and he was stunned by the difference in quality and range. In fact he nearly gave himself a heart attack when his quad was out at sea and had trouble fighting the wind to get back.

It was a fault with their site but now corrected tho I have ordered the above bundle now.

Have asked about a custom length so will see what he says but hoping just sticking straight out to right and bent at the end will provide plenty clearance.

What length would you suggest?

Guessing as long as it was about mid way out between props

9cm?

Have agreed to get 103mm to give about 8 cm extension out and 2cm drop at bend (the 03 is something about half waves and beyond my understanding)

Normally length is 70 so special order which cost a little more. Will post pic once set up and report back with results.

Progress report: I recently bought a helical on ebay, a very nice one for a decent price, but when I got it, I realized it was LH polarized. As I really wanted to try it out but didnt want to wait for a matching antenna to come through post, I decided to make my own LH CP antenna, and I have to say it was easier than I thought. The reception is gorgeous, the Black Pearl diversity is working great with these to antennas. I did more than 1100m today without much significant breakup, and could have done more but didn't want to cross over any major highways.

2nd thought. If anyone has bought those CP antenna, with the white caps, found on Ebay, they may not be working properly with your 5.8ghz transmitter. I finally opened mine up and found 2 major flaws, the wire for the lobes are too thick of a gauge, and the lobes themselves are much too short to work efficiently with 5.8ghz. Ideally each lobe wire should measure about 52mm-53mm, but what I measured of the cheap CP antenna was only 44mm!!!! Such a huge discrepancy.

Havasuphoto, I'll get on your test soon now that I have a decent set of antennas!

This thread is quite interesting! I have an IRC600 and BP but both still have rubber duckys because I ordered spironets (cloverleafs & patch) over a month ago from Hobby King and still have not received them. Even with my current antennas though, I am able to fly out to 1200m reliably with pretty good video.

My transmitter is mounted inside the phantom with a 90 degree bend attached underneath with the antenna coming out the side (as was suggested by another member). As I turn the bird around I only have about 30 degrees out of the 360 that I loose video at that distance but it does become weaker which is why I don't bother going further. I have had no control loss issues but I am also from a rural area and any range tests are done over an open field (still covered in snow!) so no obstructions whatsoever.

At this point I wonder if upgraded antennas are even worth it... I expect to have mine this week or next; they said up to 45 days, so i'll report back with my findings as well.

mcmax20 said:
At this point I wonder if upgraded antennas are even worth it... I expect to have mine this week or next; they said up to 45 days, so i'll report back with my findings as well.

45 days?!!! whoa! yup, so far with everyone on this thread, the IRC600 + BP is all an antenna game. Get good antennas, get good reception.

Last; Who had the Giant Motorola Canopy Patch Antenna?? How's that working out? Can't even find one on E-bay...where would you find something like that?

That would be me :D
I have only tested it a few times and it works great but it is very directional so I have to keep adjusting it. Really need a tracker to use it properly.
You will be lucky to find one on eBay. I bought 6 of them from an industrial auction here in Scotland.
I have 2 of them set up at work for a 3 mile wifi link. I think the whole lot cost around £120.00
I had to rip the wifi parts off it to use with my 5800 Duo.

2trickpony said:

That would be me :D
I have only tested it a few times and it works great but it is very directional so I have to keep adjusting it. Really need a tracker to use it properly.
You will be lucky to find one on eBay. I bought 6 of them from an industrial auction here in Scotland.
I have 2 of them set up at work for a 3 mile wifi link. I think the whole lot cost around £120.00
I had to rip the wifi parts off it to use with my 5800 Duo.
OK, thanks. I don't need something so directional.

AlanK said:
Have agreed to get 103mm to give about 8 cm extension out and 2cm drop at bend (the 03 is something about half waves and beyond my understanding)

Normally length is 70 so special order which cost a little more. Will post pic once set up and report back with results.

I will be interested to see how you get on with it. I am expecting its going to work well. If it does I will order a longer one as well.

Is anyone aware of a way to increase the range of the signal, of my Futaba T8J remote control?? 2.4ghz. I have whatever receiver is standard with that remote, installed in the aircraft.
Was just thinking; their has to be a way to read the signals from the remote, and re-broadcast them to a further distance???
OR, is there a more powerful remote? How do you determine the strength of a remote?

EDIT: (gee whatta surprise)....someone mentioned they had their metal VTX antenna right next to their compass, and didn't have any problems???
As most have seen, I have my VTX oriented so the video transmitter antenna is "near" the 2 RC antenna's(1 on left front leg and 1 on left rear leg-VTX antenna poking out left side-for now...thinking of turning it 180 degree's and running VTX Metal antenna right next to compass...good idea??)
Also-since I have the Futaba T8J, the antenna is build into the handle?? I usually hold the remote on my "shaking" knee's(I get nervous when flying sometimes)....instead of having the RC remote horizontal, should I hold it vertical? Does it matter?

And-has anyone noticed any difference with your "mushroom" on your CPL antenna, and where it's pointed? On the aircraft, I have mine pointed straight down. Has anyone tried it turned 90 degree-so the mushroom is pointed directly back????

thongbong said:
mcmax20 said:

45 days?!!! whoa! yup, so far with everyone on this thread, the IRC600 + BP is all an antenna game. Get good antennas, get good reception.

So I take back my words, quality antennas are everything. Received my order (Spironet CPs & Patch) after 30+ days waiting, I didn't get a real good chance to test but we had a slight break in the weather so I took it out and got to 2000m easy. Would've went further but again, not the greatest weather so brought it back in. The quality and distance amazed me, so much better! It did favor the patch more than the CP all in all, pretty much everything past 300m out at 70m up used the patch. I get some lines on screen but not the weak snow like before.

I realize some of you are going for absolute distance but all I ever wanted was a mile (1600m) so 2000m is awesome as far as I'm concerned :D

mcmax20 said:
thongbong said:
mcmax20 said:
I realize some of you are going for absolute distance but all I ever wanted was a mile (1600m) so 2000m is awesome as far as I'm concerned :D

I agree. I filmed a lighthouse at the end of a long pier the other day. Absolutley rock solid FPV video allowed me to circle it with ease. Check out this video at 2:10 secs. I am controlling it from the shore just under the cliffs. The distance was about 800m but my altitude was very low.

The absolute distance thing is interesting but really its all about 1 to 2K max which allows you some loitering time to film the intended subject.

https://vimeo.com/89261570

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor