RANGE? Immersion 600mw tx, with Spironets

Not happy with FPV... I'm a Phantom 2 Vision owner and just upgraded to a Phantom 2 with Zunmuse gimbal. I started out with a DJI Tx, used that for about a day and swapped out to the Immersion 600mw Tx. I liked the lighter weight and increased power. My RX is a Black Pearl. My problem is I can only go about 25 meters before the video starts flickering and cutting out. At 100 meters it just terrible. Also for some reason the Immersion RX seems cut out soon than the DJI did. My Vision had much better video. I have tried several different antennas, DJI Clover, mushroom, and tomorrow I have a Fatshark SpiroNet patch coming. Any ideas on what the issue might be? I'm looking to get at least 500meter of clear, LOS video out of my FPV system.

Thank!

hook3m said:
Not happy with FPV... I'm a Phantom 2 Vision owner and just upgraded to a Phantom 2 with Zunmuse gimbal. I started out with a DJI Tx, used that for about a day and swapped out to the Immersion 600mw Tx. I liked the lighter weight and increased power. My RX is a Black Pearl. My problem is I can only go about 25 meters before the video starts flickering and cutting out. At 100 meters it just terrible. Also for some reason the Immersion RX seems cut out soon than the DJI did. My Vision had much better video. I have tried several different antennas, DJI Clover, mushroom, and tomorrow I have a Fatshark SpiroNet patch coming. Any ideas on what the issue might be? I'm looking to get at least 500meter of clear, LOS video out of my FPV system.

Thank!
Change the Channels. You have 32 on the VTX, and ? on the receiver.
I use 31, 5705Ghz. I found out that if I used 17, my range was only 100m. So, it can pay off big, by just changing the channels on the 2 devices.

There is definitely something wrong there.
I have gone around 20 meters with NO antennas at all on the BP

Check the usual stuff:
Have the antennas got the correct SMA fittings
Are there any shorts or breaks in the antennas

Is the BP on the SAME channel as the IRC600
Have you plenty of battery power on the BP
Have you selected AV-in instead of Diversity on the BP
etc etc

havasuphoto said:
hook3m said:

Thank!
Change the Channels. You have 32 on the VTX, and ? on the receiver.
I use 31, 5705Ghz. I found out that if I used 17, my range was only 100m. So, it can pay off big, by just changing the channels on the 2 devices.

Uless I'm looking at it wrong, the Immursion RC 600mw only had 8 channels. So far I have tried channel 4 -5740 and Channel 6-5760. Not much of a change. I will try the other tonight.

2trickpony said:

Check the usual stuff:

etc etc

SMA fittings are correct, no breaks in the antennas.
BP is on the correct channel.

The Diversity settings I'm not that sure about but I did spend about 30 minutes changing all of it trying to improve the signal. The diversity settings is where I get confused on the setup. I have both the Diversity and RX1 and RX2 set to band F. Are there 3 different modes you can chose from when selecting the inputs? Diversity mode, RX1 and RX2? Diversity mode will choose the best antenna. RX1 will only use antenna 1 and RX2 will only use antenna 2? Is that how it works? Hard to read the display when you have snow and flickering video.

hook3m said:
2trickpony said:

Check the usual stuff:

etc etc

The Diversity settings I'm not that sure about but I did spend about 30 minutes changing all of it trying to improve the signal. The diversity settings is where I get confused on the setup. I have both the Diversity and RX1 and RX2 set to band F. Are there 3 different modes you can chose from when selecting the inputs? Diversity mode, RX1 and RX2? Diversity mode will choose the best antenna. RX1 will only use antenna 1 and RX2 will only use antenna 2? Is that how it works? Hard to read the display when you have snow and flickering video.

Yeah, I know what you mean, it IS difficult to read the display when it is covered with snow.
But you are correct, basically the settings are: Diversity, RX1, RX2, AV-in so as long as you have selected diversity you <should> be good to go. Maybe you have a faulty IRC600 ?
Have you tried using the rubber ducky antennas that came with the BP and IRC600 ??

2trickpony said:
hook3m said:
2trickpony said:

Check the usual stuff:

etc etc

Yeah, I know what you mean, it IS difficult to read the display when it is covered with snow.
But you are correct, basically the settings are: Diversity, RX1, RX2, AV-in so as long as you have selected diversity you <should> be good to go. Maybe you have a faulty IRC600 ?
Have you tried using the rubber ducky antennas that came with the BP and IRC600 ??

Just tried the duck and got about same range. I have some FatShark Spironets coming next week. Hopefully those will be better.

nwillitts said:
i am on channel 1 using irc600 and BP-should i consider another channel?

Only problem with Channel 1 is that's what it's shipped on. Could get crowded if you fly with other fliers using ImmursionRC TX who didn't change the TX freq. But if you getting good range and your happy I would leave it. You know it works.

hook3m said:
nwillitts said:

Only problem with Channel 1 is that's what it's shipped on. Could get crowded if you fly with other fliers using ImmursionRC TX who didn't change the TX freq. But if you getting good range and your happy I would leave it. You know it works.

For me CH1 works for arround 1500m with the BP screen.

hook3m said:
2trickpony said:

Check the usual stuff:

etc etc

Ok.. I lied. SMA apparently isn't SMA or the item descriptions were wrong. Look at the Antenna end of the ImmursionRC stock antenna, there is a pin. On the DJI Mushroom TX antenna there is not, and same with the clover antenna I bought on Amazon. Looks like I need to get an adapter. In that case I hope I didn't damage my new Tx.

Question, DJI's TX and Antennas say the use SMA connectors and so does the ImmursionRC TX. Should work right? or is one mislabeled and use RP-SMA?

hook3m said:
hook3m said:
2trickpony said:

Check the usual stuff:

etc etc

Ok.. I lied. SMA apparently isn't SMA or the item descriptions were wrong. Look at the Antenna end of the ImmursionRC stock antenna, there is a pin. On the DJI Mushroom TX antenna there is not, and same with the clover antenna I bought on Amazon. Looks like I need to get an adapter. In that case I hope I didn't damage my new Tx.

Question, DJI's TX and Antennas say the use SMA connectors and so does the ImmursionRC TX. Should work right? or is one mislabeled and use RP-SMA?

DJI uses RP-SMA connectors.
The ImmersionRC stuff uses SMA connectors
The whole SMA saga catches quite a few people out. I wish the manufacturers all used the same !!!

Attachments

• sma connections.jpg
    sma connections.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 473
GhostMaster said:
hook3m said:
nwillitts said:

For me CH1 works for arround 1500m with the BP screen.

ok,thanks.

havasuphoto said:
Sounds like you put an SMA onto a Female RP-SMA connector. Which means essentially there was no antenna on there.

Yup.. Rookie mistake. Hopefully I didn't damage my new Tx.

Interesting experience Today-lost all GPS signals on T/O

Went out to Area 52 Today. I was going to do some "distance" flying, but the wind kicked up a bit, and I just wasn't comfortable.

So, I have a bunch of batteries, time to fly. Put the first one in, did the dance, waited-got the rapid flashing green lights, looked into my monitor-had 12 satellites, good to go.
Just as I lifted off, I noticed a red flashing light(s), and yellow flashing lights. Interesting...I looked into my Monitor, and the GPS signal showed 0 Satellites!!!! Wow!! Never had that happen before.
I'm hovering, and I can tell that the aircraft is in Atti mode by the way it's handling. I look back at the monitor and I've got distance, altitude, and even the little diamond marking "home", and they're all accurate. But, I still have zero satellites!! I hovered a bit more, and it became apparent I wasn't going to pick up any satellites, so I switched to Atti mode, and landed.

I disconnected the battery, re-connected, and had 12 satellites in about a minute-took off again, and everything was fine, never lost a single satellite. Never seen this happen before....but, the red flashing light agreed with the monitor-0 satellites, so it wasn't an iOSD error.
No idea what caused this, and I've never seen this in well over 200 flights. So, it's something you might wanna keep an eye on.

Also-most of us are BVR(beyond visual range)flyers. Something "new" I learned Today that I want to pass on;
When in Home Lock mode(IOC), the tilt is limited to 12 degree's maximum!!! But, in GPS mode, with H/L off, you are limited to 25 degree's. Also, when in Fail Safe mode, you are limited to 12 degree's!! Keep this in mind, when flying long distances.

You can fly out at 25 degree's nose down in GPS mode(or 35 degree's in Atti mode).....but, if you enter Fail Safe, or use IOC to return, you're limited to half that. What that means is your speed coming back, will only be about 2/3rd's of what it was going away from you-so plan accordingly, so you don't run out of battery power.

Use the rule of 1/3r'ds. At 1/3rd of your battery used, you want to return......this should use 1/3rd, or slightly more of your battery power, leaving you with plenty of power, once you've arrived back home.

Re: Interesting experience Today-lost all GPS signals on T/O

havasuphoto said:
Went out to Area 52 Today. I was going to do some "distance" flying, but the wind kicked up a bit, and I just wasn't comfortable.

So, I have a bunch of batteries, time to fly. Put the first one in, did the dance, waited-got the rapid flashing green lights, looked into my monitor-had 12 satellites, good to go.
Just as I lifted off, I noticed a red flashing light(s), and yellow flashing lights. Interesting...I looked into my Monitor, and the GPS signal showed 0 Satellites!!!! Wow!! Never had that happen before.
I'm hovering, and I can tell that the aircraft is in Atti mode by the way it's handling. I look back at the monitor and I've got distance, altitude, and even the little diamond marking "home", and they're all accurate. But, I still have zero satellites!! I hovered a bit more, and it became apparent I wasn't going to pick up any satellites, so I switched to Atti mode, and landed.

I disconnected the battery, re-connected, and had 12 satellites in about a minute-took off again, and everything was fine, never lost a single satellite. Never seen this happen before....but, the red flashing light agreed with the monitor-0 satellites, so it wasn't an iOSD error.
No idea what caused this, and I've never seen this in well over 200 flights. So, it's something you might wanna keep an eye on.

Also-most of us are BVR(beyond visual range)flyers. Something "new" I learned Today that I want to pass on;
When in Home Lock mode(IOC), the tilt is limited to 12 degree's maximum!!! But, in GPS mode, with H/L off, you are limited to 25 degree's. Also, when in Fail Safe mode, you are limited to 12 degree's!! Keep this in mind, when flying long distances.

You can fly out at 25 degree's nose down in GPS mode(or 35 degree's in Atti mode).....but, if you enter Fail Safe, or use IOC to return, you're limited to half that. What that means is your speed coming back, will only be about 2/3rd's of what it was going away from you-so plan accordingly, so you don't run out of battery power.

Use the rule of 1/3r'ds. At 1/3rd of your battery used, you want to return......this should use 1/3rd, or slightly more of your battery power, leaving you with plenty of power, once you've arrived back home.

DO you have a Flytrex on board the P2 ??

New record for me; 1230M @30M, no fail safe or loss of video-I reversed back. The only reason I didn't go further was because I was entering the area where the RC airplanes fly, so I had to stop.
This was in Area 53-on an "Island" that is flat, with just some Mesquite bushes and nothing else between me and the Phantom. The wind was pretty much calm-and I averaged around 15m/sec out, and back......

Strange...as I've attempted this before, but had the VTX antenna pointing down, next to one of the RC antenna's, and only went a little over 700M @35M, then hit Fail Safe.

I had expected to have to go too over 100M to achieve 1.2KM, or more. Also-at that distance, I was able to backup, and yaw-and the remote response was instant-no delay.

It is interesting that the area you fly in, can make such a big difference. Now, it makes me wonder how much further I could have gone, at the same spot-if I was higher.....

Also-tested my Fail Safe switch Today, and it brings the aircraft back, and starts coming down, directly over my head. Not 1" to the side, or front, but directly over me. I also tried it at 10M, and within a few seconds, the aircraft climbed to 60ft, at 1.5M/sec.
What was interesting was on the descent, in fail safe-the aircraft was entering it's own down wash, and not doing anything about it. I aborted both times-so the aircraft wouldn't land hard. I don't know that it would....but, it's nice to know just how extremely accurate it was.
1 more thing; on one of the Fail Safe tests, the aircraft was maybe 40 feet away, at about 10ft. It climbed first, then rotated-it was facing 180 degree's away from me. When it rotated, it only rotated about 20 degree's, then flew back to "home" at an angle-with the nose still pointing about 160 degree's away from me.
Interesting that it didn't do a complete 180 degree turn, and fly nose back. But perhaps-it knew it was within 30 feet at that point? stopped the turn and called it good.
On the other test, it turned 180 degree's and flew straight back. Also-on one attempt, it turned to the left. On the other, it turned to the right.....go figure.

Updated list here; https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuC1rwaqupIYdDlDeVAtcHZaZEJnbmZFM2VwOU1acVE&usp=sharing

What's the proper antenna orientation for the Spironet mushroom antenna coming off the phantom? Mushroom pointed straight back or pointed down?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ODIN Reviews