RANGE? Immersion 600mw tx, with Spironets

I can do that-but, it will be on the right side, near the remote antenna on the back....is that a problem? Have you tried both sides?

I don't have enough wire to turn my VTX around to face to the left.......
I have a Phantom 1....so there's not much room on the back with the Zen, so my choices are very limited.

2trickpony said:
havasuphoto said:
Is this the one you have; http://www.getfpv.com/5-8ghz-uno-a-v-receiver.html
Is that the same as the one 2trick is using?
I see different ones.......some for $69, and some for over $200!!! Also-I noticed on one, that the frequencies weren't even close to the ones we use. They had something like 5783, instead of 5780.
Also-is some countries, they're frequencies end in 05, instead of 00.

This is the one I am using, **** expensive though!;
http://www.quadcopters.co.uk/immersionr ... -620-p.asp

I don't understand how come the due5800 v3 can buy 3 of UNO V2. simply because diversity receivers over single one? but after 1000m you are only using one receiver if use clover and helical combo.

havasuphoto said:
I can do that-but, it will be on the right side, near the remote antenna on the back....is that a problem? Have you tried both sides?

I have a Phantom 1....so there's not much room on the back with the Zen, so my choices are very limited.

simple rule is stay away as far as possible to your remote antenna. it's not a good idea on the left side(if you face the back of p2) too close to antenna. how did you wire your cable? should be quite easy to do. maybe give left side a try and see.

leekawey said:
I don't understand how come the due5800 v3 can buy 3 of UNO V2. simply because diversity receivers over single one? but after 1000m you are only using one receiver if use clover and helical combo.

Yeah... I thought that, too. Must be something there besides the switching logic... or not...

leekawey said:
2trickpony said:
havasuphoto said:
Is this the one you have; http://www.getfpv.com/5-8ghz-uno-a-v-receiver.html
Is that the same as the one 2trick is using?
I see different ones.......some for $69, and some for over $200!!! Also-I noticed on one, that the frequencies weren't even close to the ones we use. They had something like 5783, instead of 5780.
Also-is some countries, they're frequencies end in 05, instead of 00.

This is the one I am using, **** expensive though!;
http://www.quadcopters.co.uk/immersionr ... -620-p.asp

It allows you to use a directional antenna for long distance and an omni antenna for close flying overhead, and behind you.
You can also have a 2 camera setup on the quad and have 2 seperate AV outputs on the receiver.
Oh, an it also allows me to use my Motorola H/V canopy antenna :D

2trickpony said:
It allows you to use a directional antenna for long distance and an omni antenna for close flying overhead, and behind you.
You can also have a 2 camera setup on the quad and have 2 seperate AV outputs on the receiver.

Any of the Diversity dual rx do that (I do that with mine) and they include a screen. Granted, the duo has much better rxs but they are just a rx and a single costs 1/3 that. Buy two singles? ;-}

ladykate said:
2trickpony said:

Any of the Diversity dual rx do that (I do that with mine) and they include a screen. Granted, the duo has much better rxs but they are just a rx and a single costs 1/3 that. Buy two singles? ;-}

If any diversity RX did that properly I would still be using the Black Pearl. :roll:
The Duo is a far better quality receiver in my opinion but of course we are all free to buy whatever we want.
You certainly could use 2 unos but how would they control which antenna to switch to?
You would lose the whole point of a diversity receiver.

2trickpony said:
If any diversity RX did that properly I would still be using the Black Pearl. :roll:
The Duo is a far better quality receiver in my opinion but of course we are all free to buy whatever we want.
You certainly could use 2 unos but how would they control which antenna to switch to?
You would lose the whole point of a diversity receiver.

I think the single rx must be good (I don't have one) but they seem to have good reviews from those who have them.

I do want to disagree with your 'any Diversity' statement. I have two and both operate the way they are supposed to. That doesn't mean they are the best - just that they work.

Your point about switching was what I alluded to. It seems a lot to pay for the switching technology. You could buy two screens and two unos and still be ahead in money (but not convenience) since you have to buy one screen anyway for the duo.

I think they are overpriced for what you get but that doesn't mean I don't want one. ;-}

leekawey said:
havasuphoto said:

simple rule is stay away as far as possible to your remote antenna. it's not a good idea on the left side(if you face the back of p2) too close to antenna. how did you wire your cable? should be quite easy to do. maybe give left side a try and see.
OK, here's what I did-because the generic CP VTX antenna I had, was right next to the rc antenna, but had never really caused any issues, I took that one off, and put on my Spironet CP, with the RP-SMA adapter;

I'm hoping this will still give me good usable video and not interfere; It's further away from the RC antenna, and much higher than the other CP antenna. So, I will probably do some short flights, turn the aircraft to the right, so that the body completely blocks the CP antenna, and see what it looks like.
Mounting to the right just isn't an option for me-the 4 pin cable just don't reach if I turn it 180 degree's.

Attachments

• SNC15659.JPG
    SNC15659.JPG
    428.8 KB · Views: 342
  • SNC15661.JPG
    SNC15661.JPG
    430.1 KB · Views: 350
  • SNC15662.JPG
    SNC15662.JPG
    352.5 KB · Views: 387
havasuphoto said:
leekawey said:
havasuphoto said:

OK, here's what I did-because the generic CP VTX antenna I had, was right next to the rc antenna, but had never really caused any issues, I took that one off, and put on my Spironet CP, with the RP-SMA adapter;

I'm hoping this will still give me good usable video and not interfere; It's further away from the RC antenna, and much higher than the other CP antenna. So, I will probably do some short flights, turn the aircraft to the right, so that the body completely blocks the CP antenna, and see what it looks like.
Mounting to the right just isn't an option for me-the 4 pin cable just don't reach if I turn it 180 degree's.

Yep, that looks pretty good! :p
Let us know how the first flight goes !

ladykate said:
havasuphoto said:
Leaving now to go too my secret testing Area-52 ;)

Is her name Sara?
Nope-that's Area 40 ;) this was on a "deserted Island" :)
Alright-the testing went about as expected; at 660 meters and about 35 meters up, there is snow and video loss, during part of the 360 degree turn.
Also, with the VTX antenna pointed away from me/blocked by the camera/Zen/Fuselage, there is some break-up and occasional snow, even in as close as 360 meters.
But-I expected this. 5.8Ghz VTX is very sensitive to having it's signal blocked by just about anything on the airframe.
what I did notice was, that the video quality and clarity was much improved over the cheapy CP antenna I had on there before(see picture below).
I'm not sure I want to get a 90 deg adapter. I just don't want the VTX any closer to the RC antenna. So, in that regard, I'm happy.

I didn't do any further distance testing, and only flew 2 batteries(about 15 minutes flight time)-but did plenty of 360 degree turns at different altitudes. I found that 50 meters, and above-worked the best(no surprises there).

I will awaiting the testing of the Helicals-that may be a solution to gaining video during turns-where the antenna is facing away from me.
I had to end testing early, because it looked like it might rain. I may go out again, to Area 49-if the winds don't pick up, and the sky clears a bit.
Picture of old antenna; Also-from that picture you can see that I have no room, running down the right leg(near the compass), with which to run the VTX cable. I've had a look at 1 of my "inside" pictures, and it appears there may be some more length to those wires, where I could possibly turn the VTX 180 degree's. But, I kinda don't see the point right now. ?

Attachments

• clover leaf antenna.JPG
    clover leaf antenna.JPG
    398.3 KB · Views: 460
Having seen all these posts re moving the Tx antenna to the side I tried this myself this evening. I thought I had ballsed everything up when I turned it on as all I could get was a rolling picture on my Black Pearl. Then it dawned on me this was a new go pro and I still had it set to NTSC. Quick change to PAL and everything was stable again.

I didn't go for a max range check as I already know mine is good for 1.5K plus. I too was spinning around and it certainly seemed to improve matters a lot for me. So I will now fly with the antenna out of the side from now on.

As for getting a 90deg adapter all I can say is that my new Nimrod has a 90deg plug and I am regretting that now. The Nimrod is so short that its easily obscured by the camera. It would be much better if it had a longer bendable lead like the Fatshark ones do. So currently using my old Fatshark CP on the quad.

Interesting results guys, thanks for updating us all!

From what I been reading this is the test ground for all thing FPV. Can someone help with selecting a monitor to add to my Fatshark P2. I been looking at the black pearl is there other options?

extrememc said:
From what I been reading this is the test ground for all thing FPV. Can someone help with selecting a monitor to add to my Fatshark P2. I been looking at the black pearl is there other options?

Search Google for Boscam or Foxtech monitors
These seem to be quite popular.

extrememc said:
All of the Chinese 7" TN, 'dual diversity" monitors, are the same. Check the specs for brightness, etc. Plan on spending less than $200 with sun-shade, and some sort of crappy mount, that won't fit onto your remote.

Things to look for; 32 channels, dual antenna's, Brightness, contrast ratio, built in receiver.
All of the 7" screens come from 1 factory-and they all have the same internal part number. So, find the cheapest set-up you can find. If you go with the 10" monitors that are out there, the brightness is roughly half what the 7" monitors are.
Also realize that the video signal you receive from you VTX and Go Pro, will only ever be Standard Definition-so it's like watching an old TV set.
Get the iOSD Mini....I highly recommend that for telemetry data that will show up on the screen.

havasuphoto said:
extrememc said:
All of the Chinese 7" TN, 'dual diversity" monitors, are the same. Check the specs for brightness, etc. Plan on spending less than $200 with sun-shade, and some sort of crappy mount, that won't fit onto your remote.

Things to look for; 32 channels, dual antenna's, Brightness, contrast ratio, built in receiver.
All of the 7" screens come from 1 factory-and they all have the same internal part number. So, find the cheapest set-up you can find. If you go with the 10" monitors that are out there, the brightness is roughly half what the 7" monitors are.
Also realize that the video signal you receive from you VTX and Go Pro, will only ever be Standard Definition-so it's like watching an old TV set.
Get the iOSD Mini....I highly recommend that for telemetry data that will show up on the screen.

Definitely getting the iOSD Mini order this cable http://www.firstpersonview.co.uk/cables ... ransmitter once I receive that I will get the Mini. I like the black pearl because it allow you to plug a HDMI source into it. Like my DSLR. If I got with BP monitor could I still add Fatshark Cloverleaf antennas.

extrememc said:
havasuphoto said:
extrememc said:

Definitely getting the iOSD Mini order this cable http://www.firstpersonview.co.uk/cables ... ransmitter once I receive that I will get the Mini. I like the black pearl because it allow you to plug a HDMI source into it. Like my DSLR. If I got with BP monitor could I still add Fatshark Cloverleaf antennas.

You can attach pretty much any antennas you want, as long as they have the right connector, which is SMA, male.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ODIN Reviews