Range - do I have a problem!?

Reaction score
I'm still in the "trust building" phase of my relationship with my P3S. We've been together now for a couple of weeks now and I think I am ready to go "all the way"! However on a clear day I decided to push my luck at the local park - don't worry there was no one else around!

The best I could get was 100m high before signal broke and about 400m distance at about 40m.

I live in the U.K. And do not want or need to fly miles away. I would be happy to have stable connections at 120 & 500m. Any tips for getting this range?

Is the CE / FAA mod worth doing?

Hoping you can help!

ElsoPix

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Aim your antenna directly at the quad. Horizontal for altitude. Vertical for distance.

I bought a parabolic antenna range booster for about $8 and it almost doubled my range. Got a little over 1350m distance \ 65m alti the other day.

Same here mate. Also live in the uk and had the standard. Terrible video feed in the park. Took it back, got an advanced... Now get 1½ miles distance and 1,614 feet altitude. Any chance you can take it back and get the next one up?

Sent from my Power using PhantomPilots mobile app

Same here mate. Also live in the uk and had the standard. Terrible video feed in the park. Took it back, got an advanced... Now get 1½ miles distance and 1,614 feet altitude. Any chance you can take it back and get the next one up?

Sent from my Power using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hi mate, not unless Ebay start doing refunds ;). I'm gonna stick with it for a little while and make sure it's not just me! I will be able to get my money back if I need to sell as I got a bargain!

Aim your antenna directly at the quad. Horizontal for altitude. Vertical for distance.

I thought the "beam" comes from the sides of the antennae - not the tip. Therefore - far away point it up. Really high, point it out! Will try your way if you have had success! Thx

The WiFi antennas inside your controller need to pointed at the bird.
The external vertical antenna needs to be perpendicular to the bird.

I would consider upgrading to the FCC mode.

Reactions: Elsopix
Make sure your antenna is pointed correctly. You can set max a
Height and distance in Go, if you exceed the CE recommendation it gives you a warning but you are still able to set the greater distances and fly them...all things being equal...obstructions, metal interference etc
I am in the UK and furthest I have dared go yet is 1800ft away and 830 high

Can you tell us what firmware you have?
Go to general settings (press 3 dots top right and 3 dots at the bottom) then go to about (bottom of general settings)

Such a noob! I forgot about the WiFi antennae!!

Not to worry, I can guarantee you will forget it again on another flight. Unless of course its just me that gets overexcited and keeps forgetting the basics, then return home and pontificate on all the other posts from the comfort of my sofa.
Checklists help up to a point, but when you're flying its easy to misplace your brain.
Just remember one simple set of rules:
Keep the your remote set to P-GPS
Your antenna perpendicular to the drone not the tip pointing at it like a magic wand
Have Return To Home set as a failsafe...with a decent, ridiculously high altitude
If warnings flash up in red, wait a few seconds as they might clear
If things start to get hairy or you feel a bit unsure...release your grip on the remote levers...birdie should stop and hover...P-GPS saves you here
Get out your hipflask and soothe your beating heart while it sits there quietly

Don't do any mods as yet, the forums seem to awash with guys that upgrade, downgrade, add bits, shave bits off, paint it colours to ward off evil spirits etc and still don't seem to be contended bunnies.
Oh and try and have fun, its a toy, expensive maybe but all nice toys are

Not to worry, I can guarantee you will forget it again on another flight. Unless of course its just me that gets overexcited and keeps forgetting the basics, then return home and pontificate on all the other posts from the comfort of my sofa.
Checklists help up to a point, but when you're flying its easy to misplace your brain.
Just remember one simple set of rules:
Keep the your remote set to P-GPS
Your antenna perpendicular to the drone not the tip pointing at it like a magic wand
Have Return To Home set as a failsafe...with a decent, ridiculously high altitude
If warnings flash up in red, wait a few seconds as they might clear
If things start to get hairy or you feel a bit unsure...release your grip on the remote levers...birdie should stop and hover...P-GPS saves you here
Get out your hipflask and soothe your beating heart while it sits there quietly

Don't do any mods as yet, the forums seem to awash with guys that upgrade, downgrade, add bits, shave bits off, paint it colours to ward off evil spirits etc and still don't seem to be contended bunnies.
Oh and try and have fun, its a toy, expensive maybe but all nice toys are

A hip flask with a single malt is being added to the pre flight check list immediately! Thanks for the reply :)

Can you tell us what firmware you have?
Go to general settings (press 3 dots top right and 3 dots at the bottom) then go to about (bottom of general settings)

Firmware is as follows:
App: 3.0.0
Aircraft: 1.6.80

Cheers

Thanks I will give that a try geegee but not for a couple of days. Really tempted to do the FAA unlock as well.

Elsopix

I would downgrade the firmware to 1.5.7

1.6.80 does nothing for me and is very unstable.

Manual instructions can be found here ..

Manual Downgrade Phantom 3 Standard (for FW 1.6.80 issue)

Any issues dm me

I would advise against this since the OP is already using app version 3.0.
1.6.8 has been linked to many issues so I would agree 100% you shouldn't run it.
However version 1.5.7 is highly incompatible with app version 3.0, there will be extreme lag with the telemetry and functions preformed through the app like auto takeoff or pictures will take over 30 seconds to respond.
If you are going to downgrade firmware on the bird, it is also required to downgrade the dji go app back down to 2.9.2, the last stable version.

Can you do that on iOS?

It is possible, but a bit of a process.
I had the incompatibility happen to me and I am not going to update to 1.6.8 because I don't want to risk ruining my 2000+ meter distance.
I followed this tutorial to downgrade: How to downgrade to any DJI GO App version
After you do that, sync your flights in the app if you want to save them then delete the app off your phone. Plug in your phone and install the app from your computer. Make sure you have auto update disabled in your settings.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl