Question about drones..

One thing I have not seen on this thread, although I may missed it, is that DJI has, according to a reputable repair service has deemed the Phantom series as a EOL series.

EOL as in End Of Life! Parts are supposedly very scarce as I am into my 6th week of waiting on parts.

That's what I'm told.

slkfis
May be end of life in terms of manufacturing, however, I suspect parts should be available for quite sometime. I just sent my P3S in for service and had it back in 3 days. They replaced my mainboard and sent me a brand new controller.

My first step would be to review ALL the YouTube video on drone crashes. Nearly all are due to operator error or trying to fly beyond VLOS. Watching YouTube, you can learn from other’s mistakes. Why learn from the school of hard knocks ... it’s too expensive.

Second, whether or not you want to fly commercially, I’d review all the FAA 107 training so that you know the rules/guidelines and why they exist.

Then, very importantly, begin training on a large, open field where you can do drills to improve your flying skills and to understand the drone’s flight characteristics. After learning manual flying skills, practice use of the Intelligent Flight modes.

Finally, know that you will need to develop computer/technical skills to be sure you are able to update both firmware and software for your drone, your remote controller, and your DJI Go 4 device.

Then have FUN!

Keep in mind that the Bugs 3 does NOT have GPS like the more expensive quads. Therefore it will be much more difficult to control than a quad that has GPS like the DJI Phantom series quads

Hey there,

I like the suggestion to buy something inexpensive and make your first mistakes with that. This is what I did. I flew it, broke it more than once, replaced parts that were a lot less expensive than Phantom parts are, and when it finally didn't come back one day (no return to home feature? Don't fly it too far), it was time to upgrade to a phantom.

That said, I have crashed my Phantom more than once and have replaced the camera/gimbal package twice @ $350 each. So reading guidelines and following rules is something you always want to keep in mind, or you will pay for it.

Above the clouds (from the other thread): one easy way to get this in the city is during a foggy morning. Depending on your area, you might be able to find a hill in the area that is above those clouds (fog == clouds at ground level). Remember that the 400 foot elevation rule is 400' above ground level (meaning your take off point, probably about where you are standing). So if you're taking off above the clouds, you're not breaking the rule. Consider this image:

h0gjBbt.jpg

The drone was legal where this shot was taken (the image is cropped for you forensic experts). But if I flew out closer to those buildings, I would get farther from the hill I was standing on and therefore over 400' feet above the ground at the foot of the hill and beyond.

Another thought: just because you live in a city doesn't mean you can't take a drive out of it. Go to places of elevation to see if you can find a place above the clouds, where you can still follow the 400' rule.

Chris
If Muhammad can't go to the mountain/above the clouds, let the mountain/clouds come down to him! Great above the fog/cloud pictures like yours are readily available, all within 400 feet AGL, from mountain tops and tall hills, when low ground fog moves in. Patience, Grasshopper! :cool:

One thing I have not seen on this thread, although I may missed it, is that DJI has, according to a reputable repair service has deemed the Phantom series as a EOL series.

EOL as in End Of Life!
For that to make sense, it would have to include a number.
The Phantom series is not EOL but some of the older Phantom models are.

I am almost afraid to ask a question because of my last thread..

I have never owned a drone before, I am a newbi..

I want to buy a drone for around $500 - $600 dollars soo after paying all that money for a drone my question is....how long does a drone last?.. Do drones break, crash and get lost a lot? Because if I pay that much for a drone I want it to last for a while.

Hi, I know what's it's like to be new and just getting into flying drones. Four years ago, I was in the same position. However, you will find a lot of useful information contained in the posts that are on various subjects covered on this site.
I see below there is a DJI Phantom 3 Standard listed for sale on e-Bay for $300.
The asking price is excellent and the Phantom 3 is a great aircraft. I flew one for about a year and reluctantly sold it when I bought my Phantom 4.
The Phantom 3 Standard is a great 'starter drone' and if you fly carefully and plan each flight and don't take unnecessary risks, you should enjoy your drone for a long time.

When you hear stories of drones that crash and other unfortunate things, it is almost always a case of pilot error.
A pilot that made a mistake or took a risk that resulted in a crashed drone.

In the early days, you often heard about drones that 'flew away' and, suddenly, out of the blue, began doing bizarre things.

There were lots of cases of this awhile ago, but hardly ever now because drone technology-specifically GPS tracking and Home Point lock has become much better.

Comparing a Phantom 2 to a Phantom 4 would be like comparing a 1972 VW to a current model Audi.
Seriously.

My advice?

Buy that Phantom 3 Standard, go through the learning tutorials, practice and learn as you go.

Experience is always the best teacher.

Hi, I know what's it's like to be new and just getting into flying drones. Four years ago, I was in the same position. However, you will find a lot of useful information contained in the posts that are on various subjects covered on this site.
I see below there is a DJI Phantom 3 Standard listed for sale on e-Bay for $300.
The asking price is excellent and the Phantom 3 is a great aircraft. I flew one for about a year and reluctantly sold it when I bought my Phantom 4.
The Phantom 3 Standard is a great 'starter drone' and if you fly carefully and plan each flight and don't take unnecessary risks, you should enjoy your drone for a long time.

When you hear stories of drones that crash and other unfortunate things, it is almost always a case of pilot error.
A pilot that made a mistake or took a risk that resulted in a crashed drone.

In the early days, you often heard about drones that 'flew away' and, suddenly, out of the blue, began doing bizarre things.

There were lots of cases of this awhile ago, but hardly ever now because drone technology-specifically GPS tracking and Home Point lock has become much better.

Comparing a Phantom 2 to a Phantom 4 would be like comparing a 1972 VW to a current model Audi.
Seriously.

My advice?

Buy that Phantom 3 Standard, go through the learning tutorials, practice and learn as you go.

Experience is always the best teacher.

This is excellent advice. And if you look at your local Walmart, you might even find a new P3 Standard, with full warranty, for $399. They were out there as recently as a week ago in some stores but not on-line.

I went with the P3S even though the Advanced and Pro versions were within my budget. I just figured I didn't need the extra bells and whistles. I was having some issues with signal loss so I sent it in and DJI replaced the main board and gave me a new controller. Actually, I think they just replaced the entire drone as it didn't come back in the same shell. I'm now getting all the range I really need. And it handles better than the last one.

For my occasional use as a hobby and photo shoot, I expect this unit to last me for years.

I want to buy a drone for around $500 - $600 dollars soo after paying all that money for a drone my question is....how long does a drone last?.. Do drones break, crash and get lost a lot? Because if I pay that much for a drone I want it to last for a while.
Yes, Yes, and Yes. Read through the forum and you'll find lots of good stories.
On the other hand, if you're careful and learn correctly (and not too daring), you'll be fine. I had my first one for 3 years and sold it, still working fine. I'm coming up to 2 years on my current as well. My only crashes have been from low altitude and semi-powered, so no damage at all.

For more insight on what it's like as a newbie:
What were you like when you first flew?
Unless you can afford to replace it if something goes wrong, you'll never be able to truly enjoy flying a drone, and probably shouldn't be buying one in the first place. At some point, you will crash, especially if you have never flown one before. Inexperience and pilot error will be the most likely cause. The fear and panic of losing something you cannot afford to replace will cause you to make mistakes that can lead to crashes. You want to be able to fly it with the freedom like you just stole it! ;) If you can only afford $600, buy one for $300, so you can still afford to replace it. Lots of great deals on older, well-cared-for DJI drones from owners looking to upgrade. :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: RunningWithScissors

My 1st Quadcopter was the DJI 3 Professional Phantom and I read and studied the Forums and the book for a couple of months , since it was Winter. I have Prop Guards on my DJI 3 Pro Phantom , It was the easiest drone to fly. But I learned on the Lower Cost models, I do not recommend starting off with a Quad Copter with a .camera -- practice with a
lower price Quad Copter. I live close to the Airport so I can at least fly the smaller ones at home in my Front Yard. My Favorite is the ( Wonder Tech ) Gemini model-- Its Fast and only about 5 inches Helicopter Syma 1067 G 002.JPG Drome Little Gemini W 200 1-23-17 001.JPG Drone Green Big 4-13-2017 001.JPG Drone  with Prop Guard and Button 003.JPG

Last edited:

Do us all a favor and find another hobby ... you're dangerous and will give the hobby a bad name.

Nowadays, losing a drone is "Normal". that's why lots of companies are making gps trackers so that consumers won't have to worry on the money they spend.

Nowadays, losing a drone is "Normal". that's why lots of companies are making gps trackers so that consumers won't have to worry on the money they spend.
In three years, and 4500 miles on DJI aircraft, I have never lost one. A few crashes, but I always knew where it was on the map within 50 feet. Had to locate one in some underbrush on the side of a mountain the next morning, but the location has never been in question. GPS trackers don't work underwater.

Reactions: RunningWithScissors
In three years, and 4500 miles on DJI aircraft, I have never lost one. A few crashes, but I always knew where it was on the map within 50 feet. Had to locate one in some underbrush on the side of a mountain the next morning, but the location has never been in question. GPS trackers don't work underwater.
Trackers are also of little use where another person gets to your AC before you do and disables it.

Trackers are also of little use where another person gets to your AC before you do and disables it.
Good point! :cool: Trackers also have a limited battery life, and more often than not, the bird is usually damaged beyond repair if it crashed and requires a tracker to recover it. However, DJI Care/Refresh still requires the carcass, if you didn't put the same money towards self insurance, instead, which is a far better deal! ;)

Good point! :cool: Trackers also have a limited battery life, and more often than not, the bird is usually damaged beyond repair if it crashed and requires a tracker to recover it. However, DJI Care/Refresh still requires the carcass, if you didn't put the same money towards self insurance, instead, which is a far better deal! ;)
Agreed 100%.... My version of self insurance is accepting the fact I might loose or end up with an AC damaged beyond economical repair in certain circumstances. One example might be testing the limits of battery capacity in a remote area. As long as I am comfortable no person or property might be damaged as a consequence I’m happy. After a certain time flying an AC it gets to the point where you have got your money’s worth and every additional flight is a bonus. Having a couple of spares is a nice luxury.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
You can also get inexpensive insurance from State Farm. That will save some level of anxiety. One of the best guides is to retain VLOS at all times. That's the rule/guideline that can help you the most and prevent you from accidents.

Reactions: BigAl07
You can also get inexpensive insurance from State Farm. That will save some level of anxiety. One of the best guides is to retain VLOS at all times. That's the rule/guideline that can help you the most and prevent you from accidents.
True. if you go beyond VLOS, better call state farm.

True. if you go beyond VLOS, better call state farm.
I strongly suspect that flying BVLOS also technically voids the State Farm policy coverage, somewhere in the fine print. Also, from all reports, State Farm does not offer any such coverage to drone owners in the state of CA. YMMV.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart