Q: Flight Restrictions when not connected

Reaction score
Per the release notes for the new FW version v1.11.20 (emphases mine):

2. For increased safety, the flight is restricted to a height of 30 m and distance of 50 m when not connected or logged into the app during flight, including DJI GO and all apps compatible with DJI aircraft.​

All log-in issues aside (being covered in multiple threads already, so lets assume for the sake of this thread that you are already successfully past the first log-in), what happens when connection is lost during a flight that is already well beyond those stated restrictions?

First thing that comes to mind is the ability of Litchi to fly autonomously after connection is lost. But it also means being able to fly the AC with the Remote even of DJI GO has stopped running.

Up to now, you didn't need an app to fly the craft at all. I frequently use DJI GO to get to a destination, then switch to LITCHI to perform a pano. That requires shutting down DJI GO (not just pushing it to the background). So for a short period while the AC is far away and in the air, there is a remote connection but no app running.

Also, DJI GO is software -- it can, has, and will just crash to the desktop.

Or does this mean that these are limitations from the Home Point right after flight is initiated? In which case, they probably could have used different language in the release notes other than "during flight".

Speck

Per the release notes for the new FW version v1.11.20 (emphases mine):

2. For increased safety, the flight is restricted to a height of 30 m and distance of 50 m when not connected or logged into the app during flight, including DJI GO and all apps compatible with DJI aircraft.​

All log-in issues aside (being covered in multiple threads already, so lets assume for the sake of this thread that you are already successfully past the first log-in), what happens when connection is lost during a flight that is already well beyond those stated restrictions?

First thing that comes to mind is the ability of Litchi to fly autonomously after connection is lost. But it also means being able to fly the AC with the Remote even of DJI GO has stopped running.

Up to now, you didn't need an app to fly the craft at all. I frequently use DJI GO to get to a destination, then switch to LITCHI to perform a pano. That requires shutting down DJI GO (not just pushing it to the background). So for a short period while the AC is far away and in the air, there is a remote connection but no app running.

Also, DJI GO is software -- it can, has, and will just crash to the desktop.

Or does this mean that these are limitations from the Home Point right after flight is initiated? In which case, they probably could have used different language in the release notes other than "during flight".

Speck
This is the video that seems to spreading around the forums in every thread on this topic. Its not a Phantom specifically, but will give you an idea if you haven't seen it already.

This is the video that seems to spreading around the forums in every thread on this topic. Its not a Phantom specifically, but will give you an idea if you haven't seen it already.

was about to post that link lol, it answered all my questions I asked yesterday

I still don't see a point in updating the firmware. There is (on the surface) no constructive value added to me as a user of the drone. The current (November 16) firmware greatly improved camera and encoding performance on the P3P. I am extremely happy with it which contributes to my reluctance of installing something that can't be undone and may adversely affect the performance of the P3P. DJI is known to be incredibly cryptic and minimalistic (actually incomplete) in their "release notes", so every time I upgrade there are unexpected surprises. Sometimes they are positive. In this case I am suspicious of the motivation for what DJI is doing and intending with this update, an update that appears to me mostly focused on some data collection (probably for their legal protection) in addition to updating the NFZ database (which is a bit pretentious since that could only work when connected to the internet, yet "flight restrictions" are removed when connecting to the GO app even if not connected to the internet - ?).

There is always "What's New" point #3 in respect to actual fixes and/or updates that are specific to the performance and quality assurance of the aircraft itself (ESC diagnostic failures). That is, if you believe it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94