PV2+ compass issue

Reaction score
I been flying Phantom 2 Vision + quadcopters for two years and never had any major issues with flying.
About a week ago I did the compass calibration and the normal checks before I flying and ran into an issue with the quadcopter.
I did the calibration in the same spot that I always do on the cement beside the pool and never had an issue at this location before.
Normally I do the calibration , check the satellite connection before taking off (Showed seven satellites connected), maked sure it shows ready to fly and take off straight up to just 30 - 40 ft to let it sit for a few seconds hovering.
However this time when I took off it started to yaw quickly left. I tried to fight to get control of it but it still wanted to go in that direction.
In the end the only thing that saved me from completely losing it was to finally do a hairy crash through a tree and into a tall metal chain link fence.
eek.png

The top and bottom shells ended up cracked and I already bought a shell to do a shell replacement however the quadcopter still has the same issue.
A few day after the crash I tried to calibrate the quadcopter and do a test flight but it still has the same issue.
I didn't want to do the shell replacement and risk cracking another shell until I figured out why it's got this issue.
Any advice on this issue?
confused.png

Thanks for all your help.

I been flying Phantom 2 Vision + quadcopters for two years and never had any major issues with flying.
About a week ago I did the compass calibration and the normal checks before I flying and ran into an issue with the quadcopter.
I did the calibration in the same spot that I always do on the cement beside the pool and never had an issue at this location before.
Normally I do the calibration , check the satellite connection before taking off (Showed seven satellites connected), maked sure it shows ready to fly and take off straight up to just 30 - 40 ft to let it sit for a few seconds hovering.
However this time when I took off it started to yaw quickly left. I tried to fight to get control of it but it still wanted to go in that direction.
In the end the only thing that saved me from completely losing it was to finally do a hairy crash through a tree and into a tall metal chain link fence.
eek.png

The top and bottom shells ended up cracked and I already bought a shell to do a shell replacement however the quadcopter still has the same issue.
A few day after the crash I tried to calibrate the quadcopter and do a test flight but it still has the same issue.
I didn't want to do the shell replacement and risk cracking another shell until I figured out why it's got this issue.
Any advice on this issue?
confused.png

Thanks for all your help.
Have you re calibrated the IMU in the DJI assistant?

Thanks for the advice.
I did the IMU calibration and it still drifted and I had to crash land it... again. :eek: (Although it wasn't but about 8 ft - 10 ft so the crash was not as bad as last time.)
Now one of the engine will not work.
So now I'm left wondering if the engine was the issue along or if it's just a secondary issue from the crash today and if I fix it will it still have an issue. :weary:
I've already spent $60 for a new shell (plus the cost of replacement blades again) and now I'm looking at almost $20 more for a new engine.
On the plus side, at the rate I'm going, if I keep crashing it and replacing parts I'm going to have a new drone. :laughing:
At this point I'm frustrated at another setback and another weekend without flying.

Seems like that motor is the source of the problem. Replace it, and do another flight (slow and low!) to see if fixed.

You say the Yaw observed was nose-left, or counterclockwise (CCW), correct?

Is the damaged motor a CCW rotating one? These produce clockwise (CW) torque so [all else being equal] a reduction of CW torque will allow CCW rotation.

Difficult to be certain about other possible causes from afar, and it is your money, but an under-performing CCW motor could cause a CCW Yaw-ing issue.

Opened the Phantom 2 Vision + and found the black contact on the faulty motor disconnected.
Resoldered the black wire and took it on a slow test flight low in the backyard.
Responded good and the very small amount of drift seen is within normal parameters.
I'm going to keep testing it incrementally but everything look good after the first test run.
Thanks again everyone for the advice. :D

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl