Purchasing Assistance

Reaction score
Good afternoon members of the Phantom Pilots forums. I am a new user here and plan to be a drone enthusiast in the very near future. I have been doing my own research, comparing different drones- but I still have some questions I would like to ask before I fork out the money. In this thread I am going to cover some aspects that I require for my purchase, any and all comments and advice are welcome.

Budget: I would be comfortable to spend what I need to for the product that will match my demands. Ideally I would like to remain around the $800-$1,500 USD range, but am willing to increase that budget should I need to.

User-Interface: I am new to drones, so I am looking for one that is user friendly and can be controlled by a controller, and display image on my smart phone.

Auto-Pilot and Flight Paths: I would like to have a drone that can maintain its own flight control, and can obey programmed flight paths.

Camera: The purpose of my drone is not meant solely for picture or video recording, so the basic camera would be okay. Camera quality does not need to be top of the line but should be included with the purchase.

Payload: The most important aspect of my purchase is the drone's ability to carry a payload throughout the flight path. I am looking to construct something to the drone that can fly with a small payload, of no more than 10lbs (safer to say about 5lbs) ADJUSTING TO 5LBS PAYLOAD REQUESTED.

Flight Time: My purchased drone needs to be able to have a flight time of at least 45 minutes. I would like to shoot for as close to an hour of flight time per charge while carrying the payload. If this requires purchasing more advanced batteries, that is fine. Or having multiple batteries on site that I can land and replace the battery. 30 minutes flight time would be ideal.

Please include your advice and comments, if there are any follow-up questions I will be sure to answer them.

Thank you for your time, I look forward to reading your comments.

Last edited:
You are not going t get anywhere near your payload and flight time requirements unless you want to spend about $5,000. Even then, your flight time won't be anywhere near 45 minutes.

Lets adjust to about a 5lb payload; I would be able to do 30 minute flight times if I could just purchase replacement batteries. Any specific models/brands you could direct me to?.

You are looking at 4000+ for airframe and propulsion system. Add to that 2 grand for controller and video downlink. You will still need a camera, batteries and charger (big $). This is for off the shelf components. The more you are prepared to DIY the more you can save. DJI spreading wings models will get you where you want to be. RTF packages (no camera) can ve found for around $9000 ex camera. There are many other options. Google drone + payload and see what you can find.

Reactions: exeplore
Since I am just getting into this word of flight, I was looking to perhaps get a cheaper model to practice with and explore around. I noticed a DJI - Phantom 3 Standard Quadcopter. Think I would be able to pull a lightweight flag attached to the landing gear as I go up and down the sidewalk? Flag would more or less be around 6x6 in size.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl