Purchased the Moverio BT-200 Smart Glasses? Review & Help.

Re: Purchased the Moverio BT-200 Smart Glasses? Review & Hel

I just received my new Moverio BT-200 smart glasses from Prelaunch.com along with a warning stating, “At this point in time, please do not download the newest version of the app from DJI as there are currently a few compatibility issues.” I currently have firmware version D1.0.5 on my device. Under system updates it says the latest version is D1.1.0 with a warning stating “cannot restore previous version after update.”

Should I upgrade the Moverio device to version D1.1.0 and install the latest DJI app? If not, I will keep version D1.0.5 but what version of the DJI app do I download and where can I get it?

Thanks!

I did not yet, seems to work fine and no idea what the update actualy improves since I can't find any info on it. also I will loose root access and am not sure I can regain it again so nope, not yet. But it is tempting ;-)

Updated device to D1.1.0 then installed the latest DJI app. Did a test flight and everything worked "except ground station." The preview video feed still isn’t full size “yet” but so what. It’s just amazing to fly FPV with line of sight on the bird. Camera tilts up and down with head movement. I wore the darkest shades for the glasses and the image was very easy to see even looking in the direction of the sun. No black tape over the lenses required.

Perfect? No. Touchpad is way too sensitive but there are options to help control the curser. I still have difficulty with it.

Also watched a few movies last night in bed. Quality of video and audio is excellent. I’m very satisfied with this purchase and look forward to new apps but it’s worth the price as is for FPV flying in my opinion.

I'm getting very tempted to purchase a set of these...

Reading the specs I notice the BT200s can act as a miracast master and slave device. Has anyone who owns them tried running the app on a phone or tablet that supports miracast and using the BT200 to just mirror what's shown on the phone? Just thinking it might get round the problem with video position on screen and make using the GS functions possible?

You will be underwhelmed I guarantee it.

RichW said:

Reading the specs I notice the BT200s can act as a miracast master and slave device. Has anyone who owns them tried running the app on a phone or tablet that supports miracast and using the BT200 to just mirror what's shown on the phone? Just thinking it might get round the problem with video position on screen and make using the GS functions possible?

The video position can be centered by changing the settings of the “toolbar auto hide.” Remember that the image becomes larger as the background distance increases. When viewing the Phantom in an open field the apparent size of the video is as big as a house. It’s not like you have to squint to see the image.
To be fair there are a couple other negatives I have found so far.

1.The orientation of the Phantom on the radar function is wrong so it’s not reliable.
2.The preview quality freezes at higher settings then 320 x 240 @ 15 fps. At this point I would say your expectations should be using this device for reference video to stay oriented and framing shots. Don’t expect flawless high res video feed. In the end recording at 1080p by the camera is what it’s all about in my opinion.

I still haven’t had a chance to test the maximum distance so this might be a problem as well.

drifter said:
RichW said:

The video position can be centered by changing the settings of the “toolbar auto hide.” Remember that the image becomes larger as the background distance increases. When viewing the Phantom in an open field the apparent size of the video is as big as a house. It’s not like you have to squint to see the image.
To be fair there are a couple other negatives I have found so far.

1.The orientation of the Phantom on the radar function is wrong so it’s not reliable.
2.The preview quality freezes at higher settings then 320 x 240 @ 15 fps. At this point I would say your expectations should be using this device for reference video to stay oriented and framing shots. Don’t expect flawless high res video feed. In the end recording at 1080p by the camera is what it’s all about in my opinion.

I still haven’t had a chance to test the maximum distance so this might be a problem as well.
What's the reason for 640x480 not working? Is it a limitation of the BT200s or just the usual issue a lot of people seem to have with that preview anyway? I use a nexus 5 and have fpvlr x3 kit installed and always use 640x480 30fps preview with no problem so that might be another good reason to know if the miracast option works.

On the compass front have you tried any of the compass calibration apps as I find I generally have to calibrate my phones compass to get it to work well most of the time anyway.

I’ll try to answer your questions but remember I’m just starting out with these glasses and the Phantom; I’m certainly not an expert, just trying to give an honest review as I see it.

640x480 does work, but the video feed would freeze then come back when I tested it. Could be the area I’m flying in. I haven’t tested the other preview resolutions other than 320x240@15fps which didn’t freeze.

I haven’t tried any compass calibration app; I just do the calibration as per the user’s manual. These issues seem to be in the realm of DJI and there app, not a problem with the glasses.

drifter said:
I’ll try to answer your questions but remember I’m just starting out with these glasses and the Phantom; I’m certainly not an expert, just trying to give an honest review as I see it.

640x480 does work, but the video feed would freeze then come back when I tested it. Could be the area I’m flying in. I haven’t tested the other preview resolutions other than 320x240@15fps which didn’t freeze.

I haven’t tried any compass calibration app; I just do the calibration as per the user’s manual. These issues seem to be in the realm of DJI and there app, not a problem with the glasses.
Thanks drifter. I fully understand these are early adopter technology and experience from people who already have them is the best advice we can get so far [emoji3]

Don't suppose you have a miracast capable phone and could test how it works out that way?

Overall would you say they are worth the investment?

I don’t know anything about miracast, unfortunately.

Is it worth the investment? For me yes. I got what I wanted, the ability to have FPV and line of sight simultaneously. I expected to use the glasses for a reference video feed not a fully immersive experience like FPV goggles. The fact that I can also watch high res 3d movies with an apparent 65 inch screen doesn’t hurt either. This device will only get better and better as more apps come out. The price for this technology is high but that’s all relative to the individual. I hope this is helpful to you.

Drifter

drifter said:
I don’t know anything about miracast, unfortunately.

Is it worth the investment? For me yes. I got what I wanted, the ability to have FPV and line of sight simultaneously. I expected to use the glasses for a reference video feed not a fully immersive experience like FPV goggles. The fact that I can also watch high res 3d movies with an apparent 65 inch screen doesn’t hurt either. This device will only get better and better as more apps come out. The price for this technology is high but that’s all relative to the individual. I hope this is helpful to you.

Drifter
Very helpful. Thanks.

I'm also thinking that being able to see your surroundings while also seeing the phantom preview feed is a great idea. I don't think I would ever want immersive fpv so this sounds a great compromise to me.

And as you say the fact you can use them for more than just phantom flying makes it a little easier to justify the cost, well at least in my head, the wife doesn't agree but its not her money [emoji1]

Update: The video preview worked much better today, was flying in a different location. I was able to fly at the max preview resolution in the DJI app, 640x480@30fps, only had a little stuttering @ 850ft distance x 100ft elevation. :D

That's it. Come pay day I'm pulling the trigger [emoji56] I have FPVLR x3 kit fitted so hopefully my preview on 640x480 30fps will be as good as on my other android devices.

PM me when you get done testing them. I know I'm loving mine...no regrets.

drifter said:
PM me when you get done testing them. I know I'm loving mine...no regrets.
Will do drifter. Hopefully the weather will improve in a couple of weeks as well

Any advantages updating to D1.1.0 from D1.05?

I blocked out the logic circuits in my brain & ordered a set yesterday afternoon. I DO watch alot of movies on my tablet, so I justified it by telling myself I can watch my movies in much more comfort with the BT-200's....the FPV with the P2V+ is just the icing on the cake.

Ordered mine on Amazon a couple of weeks ago. The sender was in Japan, when I got them I just changed the language, side loaded the DJI app from the link on this website and off flying I went with no problems at all. The FPV experience is great and I love being able to actually see my Phantom. To date I have no complaints (they are a bit pricey) about the glasses and would highly recommend them.

I appear to have accidentally ordered mine on Amazon today with next day delivery. Ohh well [emoji4] I really should learn to be more careful.

Only thing about watching movies...I might just have brilliant vision but I can see the pixels that make up the picture. It's a bit like watching s movie on my projector screen. I find that annoying.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT