Props spinning leading edge down after new motors

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new here and hoping to pick the your brains!

Recently purchased P2 V+ with two bad motors. I replaced said motors and 100% think I resoldered all the wiring back into original spots on Esc board. However, when I tested last night every single motor was spinning in correct direction according to the case and the various DJI diagrams I've seen that are floating about but all props are spinning with leading edge down therefore pinning it to the ground on full throttle and not creating lift.

I think motors had been replaced previously too. Is it possible they were already mis-wired and I've just copied that when I put the new motors in?

Also, two of the motors have CW/CCW on them. Silly question I know but I assume that is the direction of travel not the direction the props rotate onto the housing? Because the two that have CW/CCW printed on the side are rotating in that direction but props are still leading edge facing down.

Help please. Actually pulling out what little hair I have left!!

Thanks in advance.

Hi all, I'm new here and hoping to pick the your brains!

Recently purchased P2 V+ with two bad motors. I replaced said motors and 100% think I resoldered all the wiring back into original spots on Esc board. However, when I tested last night every single motor was spinning in correct direction according to the case and the various DJI diagrams I've seen that are floating about but all props are spinning with leading edge down therefore pinning it to the ground on full throttle and not creating lift.

I think motors had been replaced previously too. Is it possible they were already mis-wired and I've just copied that when I put the new motors in?

Also, two of the motors have CW/CCW on them. Silly question I know but I assume that is the direction of travel not the direction the props rotate onto the housing? Because the two that have CW/CCW printed on the side are rotating in that direction but props are still leading edge facing down.

Help please. Actually pulling out what little hair I have left!!

Thanks in advance.

I take it you have them the right way and aoldered them correctly.

The 3 wires are from motor end black red yellow and opposite is black yellow red

Attachments

• DA96F4A1-698F-43F3-95C6-877462BC11C1.png
    DA96F4A1-698F-43F3-95C6-877462BC11C1.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 549
I assume so yes. As I say all are rotating in direction of arrows on top of case which I guess makes the wiring correct but all props are spinning with leading edge facing down. Think that's the part I'm needing to clarify. Which if any should spin leading edge down and which should spin leading edge up?

Reactions: SeabirdP4
I assume so yes. As I say all are rotating in direction of arrows on top of case which I guess makes the wiring correct but all props are spinning with leading edge facing down. Think that's the part I'm needing to clarify. Which if any should spin leading edge down and which should spin leading edge up?

It sounds like you have 4 motors all either CW or CWW.

Motors are silver tipped or black tipped

2 motors spin CW And 2 spin CCW

PRops are also marker silver and black and fit onto the corresponding motors.

Wonder if you have using 4 black or 4 silver props ?

It sounds like you have 4 motors all either CW or CWW.

Motors are silver tipped or black tipped

2 motors spin CW And 2 spin CCW

PRops are also marker silver and black and fit onto the corresponding motors.

Wonder if you have using 4 black or 4 silver props ?

I have 2 silver and 2 black on diagonal opposites where I believe they should be.

the two older motors actaully have CW and CCW printed on side of them and their rotation matches what they are doing, what is printed on their side and what direction the case says they should go in.

When you put a prop onto CW motor, does it spin onto it CCW as it should? Are you using OEM props from DJI, or aftermarket? If aftermarket, they could have been manufactured wrong.

When you put a prop onto CW motor, does it spin onto it CCW as it should? Are you using OEM props from DJI, or aftermarket? If aftermarket, they could have been manufactured wrong.

Yup, all spin on in opposite direction to the way the motors rotate.

Am I thinking too simple now or would moving each motor along to the next arm potentially fix the issue?

IF you are SURE the motors and props are correct you just need to reverse the rotation of the motors NOT relocate them.
To do this just swap any two wires at the ESCs and they will reverse spin direction.

Reactions: vipe1011
IF you are SURE the motors and props are correct you just need to reverse the rotation of the motors NOT relocate them.
To do this just swap any two wires at the ESCs and they will reverse spin direction.

If I reverse spin direction via cables on ESC I have read in other posts that affects the NAZA and the way the drone will respond to movements etc i.e. it will become unstable. Is that correct?

I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination but all the indicators lead me to believe that everything is doing what it should but they should be spinning other way. This picture is helpful, direction of travel arrove is the way motor turns but the propellor is the opposite way around (this isnt mine, just an image I've borrowed for illustration). So you can see clearly that the leading edge will be high in the picture but on mine all leading edges are facing down.

So if I reverse the cables the motors will spin in opposite direction the indicator arrows on the case. Is there a way to know correct orientation of top of casing if no stickers applied?

props.jpg

Should any of the leading edges be facing down? i.e. two props should face up and 2 should face down or should they all face up etc.

What would be super helpful is if anyone has Pic with cable order on ESC but also assocaited picture of propellors and direction of rotation......probably a big ask that I expect.

Last edited:
Swapping wires on ESC is only way to reverse direction. Not sure what u are referring with regards to NAZA and stability.

If I reverse spin direction via cables on ESC I have read in other posts that affects the NAZA and the way the drone will respond to movements etc i.e. it will become unstable. Is that correct?

I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination but all the indicators lead me to believe that everything is doing what it should but they should be spinning other way. This picture is helpful, direction of travel arrove is the way motor turns but the propellor is the opposite way around (this isnt mine, just an image I've borrowed for illustration). So you can see clearly that the leading edge will be high in the picture but on mine all leading edges are facing down.

View attachment 97844

Should any of the leading edges be facing down? i.e. two props should face up and 2 should face down or should they all face up etc.

What would be super helpful is if anyone has Pic with cable order on ESC but also assocaited picture of propellors and direction of rotation......probably a big ask that I expect.
I posted a picture of a quad with the lid off about 4 posts back

Looking from the back of the quad and working from the motor end of the ESC

Left motor black red yellow
Right motor black yellow red

Front left motor black yellow red
Front right motor black red yellow

Black dot motor goes front right and rear left
Silver dot motor goes front left and rear right

Lastly ensure the M1 plug is the right way round in the NAZA unit

N017RW my bad, sorry. Maybe I'm getting bit confused there. So essentially changing the motor direction by swapping order of cables on esc wont affect the way it flies then?

Crash1sttime yeah saw that pic, and along with the additional into re props you have just given me that is very helpful.

M1 plug, that's the small 4(5?) pin plug isn't it? How would I abe able to determine if that is correct way round or not?

Also just clarify if leading edge on all props when spinning should be high? Or shoud two be high and two be low.

ALL props have to spin with leading edge high.
Black motor shaft dot and prop hubs on front left and rear right arms.

Silver on opposite.

Looking down on quad- black hub props spin clockwise, silver hubs spin
Counterclockwise. If colors are in wrong arm, relocate. If motors spin incorrectly rewire.

Reactions: abermarc20

Silver on opposite.

Counterclockwise. If colors are in wrong arm, relocate. If motors spin incorrectly rewire.

Thanks both, you've been helpful. I'll take another look at it after work this evening and let you know if I got it off the ground.

Silver on opposite.

Actually one last thing. Just for clarity, when you say looking down on quad are you stood in front or behind it. I would consider battery to be behind it or at the back.

Actually one last thing. Just for clarity, when you say looking down on quad are you stood in front or behind it. I would consider battery to be behind it or at the back.

Correct, stood behind it with battery closest to me.

Ok, re-wired all the motors and got them spinning in the right direction. So very happy I went out for test flight but sadly it just flips on take off.

So what I have now is 2 newly purchased used motors off that auction site to replace the 2 that weren't working and 2 original motors (not sure if OEM DJI or not). It seems to be the two new motors that I've put on are creating more lift than the other two and that is what is causing it to flip. Is it possible to slow down/speed up the motors using software?? Or is there something else not working that I potentially need to look at too.

Have also noticed the 2 motors that seem to be struggling with lift might be rubbing against the casing too. That seems to be causing some friction but I dont understand how that can happen when top is on correctly and all screws done up.

Last edited:
Motor speed is determined by the NAZA and IMU sensors to achieve level or desired control response.

If you have friction or rubbing it must be eliminated/corrected.

Hmmm Ok thats next step then. Eliminate the friction. Would that be enough to cause it to flip?

Absolutely. But if there is friction either the shell isn't seated properly or the motor isn't. It sounds to me like the old motors that seem to be spinning slower were also damaged and should be replaced.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl