Proper procedure for flying within 5 miles of an airport?

Ok, so what is the make-up of the exact spot I marked here on green.

I read it as:
Class a: 18000
Class b: 3600-17999
Class e: 700 to 3599
Class g: below 700

I an within 5 miles of an airport, so I have to get an authorized waiver from the FAA

As I explained earlier, that location is in Class G airspace, underneath 1200 ft Class E, underneath 3600 ft Class B.

In the almost all of the US NAS, Class E starts at 1200 ft unless otherwise designated by a thick magenta line on the sectionals, which indicates transition zone 700 ft Class E. There is no thick magenta line around KLOT, so no 700 ft Class E.

I have no idea where you get the idea that you have to call the airport. That is a hobby rule only.

Your knowledge of Part 107 is very poor. You should not be flying at all IMO.

Edit - corrected "dotted" to "thick" for 700 ft Class E.

Last edited:
Reactions: captainmilehigh
On the airspace schematic, that location is as shown below:

L3L2 Airspace.png

A magenta dashed line shows Class E down to the ground. Anything on the "fuzzy side of a magenta" is Class E down to 700 ft. This airport is on the inside of the magenta fuzzy Class E so 700 ft. This is taken from the King school...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-04 at 1.32.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-04 at 1.32.13 PM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 321
  • Screen Shot 2017-08-04 at 1.26.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-04 at 1.26.22 PM.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 311
A magenta dashed line shows Class E down to the ground. Anything on the "fuzzy side of a magenta" is Class E down to 700 ft. This airport is on the inside of the magenta fuzzy Class E so 700 ft. This is taken from the King school...

Yes - thick magenta, not dotted, is 700 ft. There is no thick magenta line around KLOT on the sectionals and so the Class E starts at 1200 ft.

So I'm right with the dotted being down to the ground. This whole area is within the thick magenta, so 700 ft, right...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-04 at 1.44.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-04 at 1.44.51 PM.png
    8 MB · Views: 343
So basically everything I said was right. I ASKED if I needed to call because the rules are changing fast. On my AIRMAPS, it states I need to call. I did not think so.

So basically everything I said was right. I ASKED if I needed to call because the rules are changing fast. On my AIRMAPS, it states I need to call. I did not think so.

Except for where you stated in post #2 that you needed to call the airport, and then in post #16 where you stated that you needed an authorization or waiver. You were correct on the Class G/ Class E interface altitude.

Reactions: BigAl07
The AIRMAP app shows all warnings, etc. when I showed my location it said I needed to call the airport. I did not think so, but thats why I asked the question.

The interesting thing is that it's not uncommon for some airport managers knowledge of uas rules vary, especially the smaller airports. I called a local airport manager just last week because I was within 5 miles and I was flying recreational, even though I have a 107. His first statement was that I needed a 107, to which I said I had and didn't elaborate any further. I didn't want to get into a technical thing about the rules. I find it's best to just press on and disclose the information about your flight and the conversation is more pleasant and easier. Point being, even if you don't need to call in, it can be great networking to do so, especially if you intend to fly there often. You get known as someone who's on the team. Plus, air traffic can be dicey overhead even if you're in G, if you're close enough. I prefer erring on the side of caution. I want it to be known that I'm in the area. It puts me at ease and it definitely scores points with the airport personnel. There's hard and fast rules but there's also common sense safety precautions too. If you feel uncomfortable with the traffic above you, call in and they'll push a notam out for you. And, they'll be impressed with your professionalism.

Step 1: call the Air Traffic Control office. Most often they can make a workable arrangement with you. They can inform you of the hazard you may or may not be creating. If there is no hazard, you will most likely be able to come to a mutually agreed upon procedure. If there is a hazard, you will at least understand why you are being restricted.

Unfortunately, I have a similar problem. I just want to go up 200', take a picture and come down. The location is at the edge (slight within) of the restricted area beyond a runway of a private airport that has very little activity.

I need to file for an FAA "waiver" or "Authorization". In my first attempt, I filled out the form without clearly declaring which ... unfortunately, it was turned back where a simply phone call (they had my phone number on the form) could have moved the process forward. I have made all needed corrections and re-applied and am still in a long wait state.

This fall, when I have more time, I'll spend some intense time to track down why this process takes so long. Even with consideration of the "shake down" mode the FAA is in, their process, if it is to work, needs to be fixed and become responsive!

Step 1: call the Air Traffic Control office. Most often they can make a workable arrangement with you. They can inform you of the hazard you may or may not be creating. If there is no hazard, you will most likely be able to come to a mutually agreed upon procedure. If there is a hazard, you will at least understand why you are being restricted.

Unfortunately, I have a similar problem. I just want to go up 200', take a picture and come down. The location is at the edge (slight within) of the restricted area beyond a runway of a private airport that has very little activity.

I need to file for an FAA "waiver" or "Authorization". In my first attempt, I filled out the form without clearly declaring which ... unfortunately, it was turned back where a simply phone call (they had my phone number on the form) could have moved the process forward. I have made all needed corrections and re-applied and am still in a long wait state.

This fall, when I have more time, I'll spend some intense time to track down why this process takes so long. Even with consideration of the "shake down" mode the FAA is in, their process, if it is to work, needs to be fixed and become responsive!

Good advice in general but, in this case, he is in Class G airspace so he doesn't need an authorization or waiver, and doesn't need to call anyone.

I'm surprised no one has asked yet, how is a quick video for real estate considered a hobby flight?
I was reading through to the end to see if this had been addressed yet... Doesn't sound like OP is Part 107... therefore yeah... shooting real estate ???

But to answer your question... If you are part 107 you cannot call ATC you have to apply for authorization through the FAA portal... If a hobby flyer then you can call ATC and tell them you are flying... this is what I used to do... Perversely, now that I am Part 107 it takes a donkeys age to get authorization... and my work depends on it... where as when I was flying for fun as I said I would just call up and say flying today... even got to know their names... here is an excellent post about this exact question: Authorization Class E surface vs. Class E 700 AGL

From what I can see you are in a Class E transitional area where the floor of "E" is at 700 ft - so my argument would e I'm not technically in Class E I'm under it... and lateral distances be damned.

Assumed you to be flying 2 miles south for some reason... in addition too class E Trans - you are also in Class B starting at 3600 and up... for all intents and purposes the shelves are all above you... so, still Class G...

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94