Flying within an airport restricted zone.......

@barefootbeaching I was flying "recreationally" at that time. The area is heavily populated and over an area traversed by boat traffic. The "flight" was more for the "experiance" of jumping through the so called hoops set up for anyone wishing to operate a drone. Under 107 it would have required authorization form the FAA and ATC notification whereas recreational flight only requires ATC notification. Not sure why the rules are more stringent for someone that had to test to become Part 107 certified. Seems as though if you were 107 certified a mechanism would be in place for you to enter your certification and aircraft registration number then it would allow you to fly, with ATC notification as well and restrict recreational flights within that airspace. Seems the rules are somewhat backwards. My interactions with most ATC's have been pleasant and am usually told they are rarely contacted/notified. All in all I can see why many are confused and some just ignore the rules, although I do not condone that practice.
Actually, no. For most Part 107 authorizations, you will only only have to contact the ATC if that is specifically called for on the authorization.

When calculating distance from an airport is that calculated from the perimeter, i.e. nearest part of a runway or run-off? Or from the center of the property, or the tower, or what? Just curious...

There is a published Airport Reference Point (ARP) for each airport. It's a "calculated" center point of all usable runways at the airport.

I find it entertaining that in my neighborhood, two approved UAV air fields are within 3 miles from LGA runway 31 and another approved air field is just a bit over 4 miles from JFK runway 13.

We've had these for decades. It's accomplished by having a Letter of Agreement (LOA) between the club and the airport facility.

Reactions: Mark The Droner
There is a published Airport Reference Point (ARP) for each airport. It's a "calculated" center point of all usable runways at the airport.

We've had these for decades. It's accomplished by having a Letter of Agreement (LOA) between the club and the airport facility.
OK, thanks. Still amusing. At least one of those fields was never meant for anything but tether models and the tree cover makes LOS problematic.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl