Prop life

Reaction score
I'm using the standard default props that came with the phantom 3 adv. Has anyone noticed a shelf life or a useful life of the props? Certainly being proactive on replacing them is the way to go before a failure of the prop. If there are no cracks or stress marks in the plastic are people replacing the props after so many hours or so many flights?

There is no need to replace them if you notice no damage upon close inspection.

I have a set on my P2 that are nearly 2 years old, ~150+ flights.

I've had my P3P since last May, and I am still using the original props. When it was new, I bought an extra set, thinking along the same lines as your post. But the original props are still fine.

my original props were undamaged but had some bug guts on them from a tropical beach excursion. I noticed some jello after that. changed out to new props and all was good again.

^^^
Clean them & rebalance them .

I suppose I could but it's too late. I should have done that quickly because now they're pretty much baked on.

i am still using my original props, over 350 flights on them and they keep on ticking. I love the fact they are flexible. If they were stiff they would have broke off a long time ago.

I have notice that they are fairly well balanced out of the box. I have never had an issue with a prop. If you are removing them after flight I would be more concerned with thread wear than the balance of the props and unless you are tipping over or hitting things with the props I don't know why they would go bad. That said I inspect mine before every flight and pay attention to the ease at which the go on or come off.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Is it necessary to take off the propellers,.just to inspect the threads? I would think the more you take your propellers on & off,.the more stress would be subjected on the threads. I have a hard case that allows me to keep them on,.without bending them. Other than a visual inspection of the propellers blades,.I never check the threads. I would if I had any kind of collision. I also make sure their on tight,.by giving them just a little tweek by hand. Not sure if this is a good practice,.but it seems to me the more you take them on & off the more stress would be induced on those threads. Also every time you take them off & back on there is that slight risk of them coming off. If you did it right the first time & It's been working fine for many flights,.why risk it?

Is it necessary to take off the propellers,.just to inspect the threads?
Yes -- if you want to inspect them pre-flight. How else would you know if the threads are damaged and/or the hub is cracked on the inside? Either of those issues could cause a prop to become loose and fly off mid-flight.

$10 prop set > trying to balance props :oops:
Not that hard to do . I had 2 out of 12 new props out (DJI brand) maybe that's a thing of the past but I like knowing my props are good ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl