Prop Balancing !

Scottrod said:
yawnalot29 said:
tcg said:
You can also get the balancing rod for the P2V self tightening props from Atlanta Hobby.
Cost is about $10

I got the one from Atlanta Hobby. It works, but a tad short.

The rod is 3 3/16 inch long. Cost $13.75 including shipping.

It would have been nice if the road was at least 5 or 6 inches long.

That's what she said? :lol:
Sure is a loaded topic lol !!!! have to be careful how you answer! anyhow the one from muscleflex is 5 7/8 and works great. I am sure if you asked he would cut one a bit longer.

yawnalot29 said:
tcg said:
You can also get the balancing rod for the P2V self tightening props from Atlanta Hobby.
Cost is about $10

Are you able to do a proper balance? Just got this rod and it is most definitely, infuriatingly not long enough.

mediaguru said:
After getting the DuBro rigged up so I can barely do a balance, the rod from Atlanta Hobby does NOT work. Different results every time. Not recommended.

Mine seems to work fine. I'll set it up later on and test a bunch of props, take it apart and test them again... But, you're right. I wish it were longer...

-slinger

mediaguru said:
After getting the DuBro rigged up so I can barely do a balance, the rod from Atlanta Hobby does NOT work. Different results every time. Not recommended.

Okay... I just retested the Dubro using the Atlanta hobby prop balancing rods and it still works fine. How is yours set up?

This is mine. I also made sure the rod was level between the front and back blocks of the Dubro...

dubro-01.jpg

dubro-02.jpg

-slinger

funtimegrandpa said:
What is the length of the one you have? The one I got from muscleflex is 5 7/8 inches or 14.9225cm again you can see it being used on the Du-Bro balancer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv1HoCnKGBA

The Atlanta Hobby roads are 3.5" long. There are two of them, one CW and one CCW...

-slinger

gunslinger said:
mediaguru said:

Okay... I just retested the Dubro using the Atlanta hobby prop balancing rods and it still works fine. How is yours set up?

This is mine. I also made sure the rod was level between the front and back blocks of the Dubro...

dubro-01.jpg

dubro-02.jpg

-slinger

Yup that's the same way I've got it setup. It just stops when it stops. Different place every time. Maybe I should make a video to demonstrate.

mediaguru said:
gunslinger said:
mediaguru said:

-slinger

Yup that's the same way I've got it setup. It just stops when it stops. Different place every time. Maybe I should make a video to demonstrate.

Crap... Now you've got me paranoid. I'm going to check mine again tomorrow. If you're having a problem with them it'd be great if you could share a video... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Thanks...
-slinger

mediaguru said:
Is it possible your props are already fairly well balanced. After all, people are finding that not all DJI props are in need of balancing. On average it seems that somewhere between 25% and 33% are good enough as shipped. :?

Assuming your setup is the same as gunslingers, and that there's nothing preventing your balancer rotating freely, then stopping at different positions every time is the sign of a well balanced prop. It's stopping in the same position each time that shows an out-of-balance situation :)

I agree completely, that if a Prop is very well balanced it will not move no matter what position it is at. If it is out of balance one side will always drop down. There is also a chance a prop is perfect form the factory, but I would say at least 40% are not. Last night I opened a new set of phantom 1 props, two were good enough to put on but the other two took a good amount of sanding.

The other thing I don't believe people understand is that even if you have a perfectly balanced prop which is what you need, the prop could be bent, and not matching correctly on both ends. I show how I have tested this about 1/2 way through my video review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv1HoCnKGBA I am going to make another video later this week with an even more exact way of making sure they are exactly matched. Trust me even a perfectly balanced prop will shake if both tips do not match when the reach the same spot.

Grandpa Jake

So it has been my interpretation that a balanced prop would finish in a horizontal position, or very close to it. If you are saying the props finishing in inconsistent positions means they are balanced, then maybe the bar is working. I'd have to mess with it more I suppose.

mediaguru said:
yawnalot29 said:
tcg said:
Cost is about $10

Are you able to do a proper balance? Just got this rod and it is most definitely, infuriatingly not long enough.

Yeah, it's really short and hard to use because of its length. It doesn't seem to balance well. Not getting consistent results.

I end up using the rod from du bro. The plastic stopper is just to fit into Phantom prop. I'll see if I can get some pictures.

mediaguru said:
So it has been my interpretation that a balanced prop would finish in a horizontal position, or very close to it. If you are saying the props finishing in inconsistent positions means they are balanced, then maybe the bar is working. I'd have to mess with it more I suppose.
Well, I said between 25% and 33% come acceptably balanced. Funtimegrandpa is putting the figure somewhat higher at 60% but either way it shows some are OK. Perhaps you just lucked out - someone's got to :lol:

Anyway, put a mark on just one blade, and try your balance. If that blade is consistently finishing in the lower half on the circle, even if in different positions, you still have work to do. On the other hand, if it finishes sometimes up, sometimes down - then as we say in Scotland - "You've won a watch" i.e. you're finished ;)

As it happens, finishing roughly horizontal (and with the marked blade on the same side each time) would tell you the hub is heavy on one side. As funtime agrees, the blades don't have to be horizontal to indicate balance. The rod is your pivot point so the weight each side will be the same when balanced regardless of finishing position. Unless you're using 3-blade props, of course, as per my avatar :roll: :)

madbugger said:
mediaguru said:
Well, I said between 25% and 33% come acceptably balanced. Funtimegrandpa is putting the figure somewhat higher at 60% but either way it shows some are OK. Perhaps you just lucked out - someone's got to :lol:

Anyway, put a mark on just one blade, and try your balance. If that blade is consistently finishing in the lower half on the circle, even if in different positions, you still have work to do. On the other hand, if it finishes sometimes up, sometimes down - then as we say in Scotland - "You've won a watch" i.e. you're finished ;)

As it happens, finishing roughly horizontal (and with the marked blade on the same side each time) would tell you the hub is heavy on one side. As funtime agrees, the blades don't have to be horizontal to indicate balance. The rod is your pivot point so the weight each side will be the same when balanced regardless of finishing position. Unless you're using 3-blade props, of course, as per my avatar :roll: :)

Many thanks for the lesson. Tonight I'll check them again, but it seems that at least my two black capped blades must already be in balance, or close then.

mediaguru said:
Many thanks for the lesson. Tonight I'll check them again, but it seems that at least my two black capped blades must already be in balance, or close then.
I should have said... "that blade is consistently finishing in the lower half or upper half of the circle, even if in different positions," ...since you would only be marking one blade and it might be the lighter one. But you got the idea.

Like I said, someone always needs to be lucky and this time it looks like you won the prize.
Just let me know if you ever decide to put a bet on a horse, 'cos I'll back the same one as you. :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18