Prop Balancing !

Bigvern said:
Hello everyone.
Thanks very much for all the orders and the good feedback.
Unfortunately I have had alot of problems shipping these items to the USA, which is where most of the orders have come from, so as from now I will not be taking anymore orders. I am not sure whether it is your post office or ours, can't seem to get there act together, sorry!
I was not running this as a business and now unfortunately it is costing me too much TIME and money!
Thanks Pull_up for the video.
Cheers Glen.

Are you still doing the UK though?

No I won't be supplying them in the UK any more as not a lot orders come from here & can't really have small batches made because of cost, sorry about that.

Thanks for all the positive comments!

I know someone else is making them now on the forum! so you could try them.

Regards Glen.

Just got my prop balancing rod and all eight of my DJI props are out of balance.
Gut feeling is that I do not want to sand material off so want to add weight.

Is it likely a small strip of insulting tape applied to the underside of the prop would cause turbulence and adversely affect flight ?
I have been warned against this idea in case the tape flew off when flying - if that happened would it have any bad results ?

Thanks for any opinions :)

pault said:
Just got my prop balancing rod and all eight of my DJI props are out of balance.

Is it likely a small strip of insulting tape applied to the underside of the prop would cause turbulence and adversely affect flight ?
?

just use scotch clear tape a small piece usually does it
and no if it comes off it would just be like you didn't balance to start with the are usually pretty close

skyhighdiver said:
pault said:

?

just use scotch clear tape a small piece usually does it
and no if it comes off it would just be like you didn't balance to start with the are usually pretty close
Yes, scotch tape sounds a better idea as it is thinner so presumably would cause less turbulence - thanks :)

The rod & glass technique is remarkably sensitive - have gone through all our glasses (I collect Victorian rummers) and have found one with extremely thin walls - using that it can detect a piece of insulating tape that is only 1 x 2mm - maybe even less.

dscott77 said:
FYI, I picked up a set of prop balancing rods designed for the Vision's black and white lock nuts from "Cliff" at http://www.atlantahobby.com. They're aluminum, are designed to work with the Du-Bro balancer and work perfectly.

do you know the size of these rods? i looked on the website but i cant tell which rods to get.

Just a word on prop balancing, whether you were able to benefit from Glen's (Big Vern) rod before he stopped production, the Atlanta Hobbys offering, some other commercial rod, or made your own.

Pull-up's excellent vid shows the way to go if you don't have a commercial balancer but whether you use a commercial or crystal glass balancer, there's another stage to go thru if you want the ultimate balance. Once you have equalised the blades by sanding, tape, varnish or whatever, then do the exercise at least 3 more additional times. Perfectly balanced blades will stop at different places, or at least in 180degree different register most times. If they stop in the same orientation each time (i.e. with the marked blade on the same side) it means you have still have an unevenly weighted hub and a little more work is required for that elusive ultimate balance.

Then again, life's too short :lol:

Pull_Up said:
That's because it's a pain in the backside involving removing the motors from the aircraft and is usually done by the guys with setups very prone to jello. Plenty of YouTube how to's if curious.

Interesting. I may undertake this if I one day replace my motors with the anti gravity motors. Are the "tiger" motors the same ones?

Honestly, now that I saw DJIs Lightbridge I am really hoping for a Phantom 3 Vision with 1080P FPV. Really liking the idea of 1080P FPV. I may not do too many more mods unless my motors go bad.

Bigvern said:
Hello everyone.
Thanks very much for all the orders and the good feedback.
Unfortunately I have had alot of problems shipping these items to the USA, which is where most of the orders have come from, so as from now I will not be taking anymore orders. I am not sure whether it is your post office or ours, can't seem to get there act together, sorry!
I was not running this as a business and now unfortunately it is costing me too much TIME and money!
Thanks Pull_up for the video.
Cheers Glen.

Thanks for the rod Glen, YES I just got it today, this must be THE very last rod as you shipped it on February 24th! No issues with the US post as I am in Los Angeles, California.

Thanks again as I will and know I need to balance my props before the weekend!

Don

Do you have any rods left? I would like to check one out on my dubro balancer, im currently using the t-motor Antigravity propellers because they give less vibrations when filming but shorter flight times, maybe a balanced DJI Prop will be ideal for me.

garygid said:
My balancing rod arrived about a week or so ago. Thanks!

Four props of six are well balanced, two were slightly off,
but I do not see specific recommendations for removing
material for balancing them without a significant chance
of making dynamic balance issues worse.

Beyond static balance, there is dynamic balance, and lift and drag
inequalities to be considered. Any thoughts?

I don't see how a difference in lift produced by each blade would affect much. At constant angular velocity, the blades would produce a constant, not cyclic lift. The tension force experienced by the motor shaft would simply be the sum of the lift force of each blade. In fact if balanced properly, you could run just one blade on a motor shaft with no vibration. In my opinion, the benefits of having a balanced prop would significantly outweigh dynamic lift imbalances.

I ordered a balance rod from [email protected] for the self tightening props and it worked so well I wanted to do a short video so others could see it in action. I also mention one point that goes beyond balancing that I believe helps just as much. You will see this in the video. Even if you get a great balanced prop which you need, the props could be bent up or down from the other end. You also need to make sure that each tip when turned touches the exact spot on a ruler or some other sort of device. If one is higher than the other you need to adjust it so they are exact. This will really improve the total balance.

Here is the link if you want to take a look at the video. http://youtu.be/Yv1HoCnKGBA

You can also get the balancing rod for the P2V self tightening props from Atlanta Hobby.
Cost is about $10

tcg said:
You can also get the balancing rod for the P2V self tightening props from Atlanta Hobby.
Cost is about $10

I got the one from Atlanta Hobby. It works, but a tad short.

The rod is 3 3/16 inch long. Cost $13.75 including shipping.

It would have been nice if the road was at least 5 or 6 inches long.

yawnalot29 said:
tcg said:
Cost is about $10

I got the one from Atlanta Hobby. It works, but a tad short.

The rod is 3 3/16 inch long. Cost $13.75 including shipping.

It would have been nice if the road was at least 5 or 6 inches long.

That's what she said? :lol:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18